Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NO SELLOUT ???? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#30 : September 01, 2012, 12:16:33 PM

Owners of the Bucs (and Rays for that matter) can continue to find a variety of angles to get fans to buy their product.  They're business owners and need to be smart just like any other business vying for customers.  In San Antonio, the Spurs used to bus in fans from various parts of town to the arena for every home game so you didn't have to deal with expensive parking and the hassle of getting into and out of the stadium parking lots.

I grew up in San Antonio.  The relationship between the fans and the Spurs is one of the most unique and peculiar in all of sports.  You're hard pressed to find anyone in that city who isn't a PROUD fan of that basketball team.

Then again, two decades of being a top-3 NBA team probably help.

I lived in SA for awhile and rarely missed a Spurs game on the TV and probably went to 20 games a season.  Everywhere you went, people were familiar w/ the Spurs. Businesses all supported the Spurs (it was also in their best interest to do so - don't see that much here in Tampa w/ the Bucs).    I found New Orleans to be very similiar w/ the Saints - everyone talks about the Saints no matter where you go in the city.

I find Louisianians, in general, to be amongst the most fiercly loyal group of people in the country to their region.

I agree that the attendance issues in the area is a multi faceted issue. I also think that the Bucs selling out for as long as they did is more the aberration than the current lack of attendance. The sellouts were a confluence of a number of issues all working in the Bucs favor. A new stadium, and up and coming team with some likeable personalities, a solid economy and, perhaps the single biggest issue...PSLs which locked everyone into a ticket for 10 years. Once they expired, attendance fell off.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

RogerGoodellSucks

Hall of Famer

#31 : September 01, 2012, 12:49:03 PM

The fans making excuses are just so, so pathetic. You're not going to go to a game because beers are $9? How about you just don't **CENSORED**ing drink or tailgate the game and bring your own beer.

It's too hot out? Are you kidding me? Drink some water and hydrate. They have fans at the game too that you can stand near if you are that hot.

The product isn't worth seeing? If you think that's the case, please never go to a game again because you're a disgrace to the fanbase.

I understand people are struggling financially, but people can still make it out to AT LEAST ONE game. I am a college student and am driving 4 hours and paying probably a good $200 to go to the Giants/Bucs game in week 2.

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#32 : September 01, 2012, 01:03:00 PM

Per Bucs nation site there is only about 2200 tickets available on ticketmaster. Would mean they have already met the 85% or they are not making all the tix available right now.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2012/9/1/3285064/9000-tickets-to-avoid-blackout-not-so-fast

JohnBuc06

Starter

#33 : September 01, 2012, 01:03:52 PM

Speaking as a Buc fan in Orlando I think the Glazer's made a huge mistake in not promoting the team here in the Orlando area anymore.  They initially promoted heavily here under Dungy, even having a Training Camp practice here and there at a local school.  Under Gruden they even held TC out at Disney.  Now with the new Buc's facility I understand them not wanting to TC anywhere but there, but I have not seen one Buc commercial, billboard, radio ad, or anything locally in Orlando.  The Buc's games were NOT even carried on the radio.  I see plenty of Jacksonville ads, heck even the occasionally Dolphins ...but no Bucs.  Hey I'm just 1.5 hours away ...with about another 2 million people in my area you can show off your product a little, that might mean the difference in those 9000 or so tickets you're still trying to sell.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#34 : September 01, 2012, 02:11:27 PM

Owners of the Bucs (and Rays for that matter) can continue to find a variety of angles to get fans to buy their product.  They're business owners and need to be smart just like any other business vying for customers.  In San Antonio, the Spurs used to bus in fans from various parts of town to the arena for every home game so you didn't have to deal with expensive parking and the hassle of getting into and out of the stadium parking lots.

I grew up in San Antonio.  The relationship between the fans and the Spurs is one of the most unique and peculiar in all of sports.  You're hard pressed to find anyone in that city who isn't a PROUD fan of that basketball team.

Then again, two decades of being a top-3 NBA team probably help.

I lived in SA for awhile and rarely missed a Spurs game on the TV and probably went to 20 games a season.  Everywhere you went, people were familiar w/ the Spurs. Businesses all supported the Spurs (it was also in their best interest to do so - don't see that much here in Tampa w/ the Bucs).    I found New Orleans to be very similiar w/ the Saints - everyone talks about the Saints no matter where you go in the city.

I find Louisianians, in general, to be amongst the most fiercly loyal group of people in the country to their region.

I agree that the attendance issues in the area is a multi faceted issue. I also think that the Bucs selling out for as long as they did is more the aberration than the current lack of attendance. The sellouts were a confluence of a number of issues all working in the Bucs favor. A new stadium, and up and coming team with some likeable personalities, a solid economy and, perhaps the single biggest issue...PSLs which locked everyone into a ticket for 10 years. Once they expired, attendance fell off.

Spot on post. Just wanted to acknowledge.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#35 : September 01, 2012, 02:17:51 PM

Per Bucs nation site there is only about 2200 tickets available on ticketmaster. Would mean they have already met the 85% or they are not making all the tix available right now.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2012/9/1/3285064/9000-tickets-to-avoid-blackout-not-so-fast

Doubt that 7,000 seats were sold over the last 24 hrs. Maybe so, but over the years, looking at the TM site wasn't a good gauge on ticket sales. They don't always show  ALL available seats.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#36 : September 01, 2012, 02:21:21 PM

Speaking as a Buc fan in Orlando I think the Glazer's made a huge mistake in not promoting the team here in the Orlando area anymore.  They initially promoted heavily here under Dungy, even having a Training Camp practice here and there at a local school.  Under Gruden they even held TC out at Disney.  Now with the new Buc's facility I understand them not wanting to TC anywhere but there, but I have not seen one Buc commercial, billboard, radio ad, or anything locally in Orlando.  The Buc's games were NOT even carried on the radio.  I see plenty of Jacksonville ads, heck even the occasionally Dolphins ...but no Bucs.  Hey I'm just 1.5 hours away ...with about another 2 million people in my area you can show off your product a little, that might mean the difference in those 9000 or so tickets you're still trying to sell.

That's hard to understand why the Glazers are missing that segment of the population (Orlando Metro area). Shoot, they should sponsor 1 or 2 Buc talk shows each week in the area to generate interest.

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#37 : September 01, 2012, 02:22:02 PM

Doubt that 7,000 seats were sold over the last 24 hrs. Maybe so, but over the years, looking at the TM site wasn't a good gauge on ticket sales. They don't always show  ALL available seats.

Where did the 9000 tickets report come from? maybe that report was incorrect in the first place.. Idk.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#38 : September 01, 2012, 02:23:04 PM

The fans making excuses are just so, so pathetic. You're not going to go to a game because beers are $9? How about you just don't **CENSORED**ing drink or tailgate the game and bring your own beer.

It's too hot out? Are you kidding me? Drink some water and hydrate. They have fans at the game too that you can stand near if you are that hot.

The product isn't worth seeing? If you think that's the case, please never go to a game again because you're a disgrace to the fanbase.

I understand people are struggling financially, but people can still make it out to AT LEAST ONE game. I am a college student and am driving 4 hours and paying probably a good $200 to go to the Giants/Bucs game in week 2.

There is only a tiny, tiny, tiny number of people who even feel close to an obligation to "go to at least one game." 

It's a business. An entertainment business.  People have no obligation, the business has to give them a value proposition that entices them to go.  No different than a McDonalds or Disney World.  For decades the NFL has been doing EVERYTHING in its power to sell NOT to "joe six pack" fans, but rather to TELEVISION and CORPORATIONS.  It should comes as now surprise therefore that corporations don't show up in a down economy (and a very small corproate makret in Tampa) and "Joe Six Pack" CHOOSES to watch on television given the current value proposition (i.e being forced to sit in the heat drinking a $9 beer while the players just stand on the field waiting for a TELEVISION commercial to end)

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\'s Cancer Center

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#39 : September 01, 2012, 02:26:30 PM

The "its your duty as a fan" stuff on this board is a joke and tiresome.  Most on here deserve HUGE, HUGE, HUGE credit for being such loyal, diehard fans, but maybe we can all try to realize that hardcore Buc fans are in the DISTINCT minority.  The Bucs don't have a problem with hard core fans. They have a problem with CRITICAL marginal fans, who look at the Bucs as one of many entertainment options

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\'s Cancer Center

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#40 : September 01, 2012, 02:28:22 PM

Where did the 9000 tickets report come from? maybe that report was incorrect in the first place.. Idk.

Several sources reported it yesterday afternoon (PR.com for one - also Stroud, Cummings, Florio from PFT.com).

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#41 : September 01, 2012, 02:30:29 PM

The "its your duty as a fan" stuff on this board is a joke and tiresome.  Most on here deserve HUGE, HUGE, HUGE credit for being such loyal, diehard fans, but maybe we can all try to realize that hardcore Buc fans are in the DISTINCT minority.  The Bucs don't have a problem with hard core fans. They have a problem with CRITICAL marginal fans, who look at the Bucs as one of many entertainment options

You're exactly right. They (fringe fans) have a lot of choices - and a $30-200 ticket to see the Bucs might not be high on the priority list.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#42 : September 01, 2012, 02:32:15 PM

There is only a tiny, tiny, tiny number of people who even feel close to an obligation to "go to at least one game." 

It's a business. An entertainment business.  People have no obligation, the business has to give them a value proposition that entices them to go.  No different than a McDonalds or Disney World.  For decades the NFL has been doing EVERYTHING in its power to sell NOT to "joe six pack" fans, but rather to TELEVISION and CORPORATIONS.  It should comes as now surprise therefore that corporations don't show up in a down economy (and a very small corproate makret in Tampa) and "Joe Six Pack" CHOOSES to watch on television given the current value proposition (i.e being forced to sit in the heat drinking a $9 beer while the players just stand on the field waiting for a TELEVISION commercial to end)

Another outstanding post. You're not making excuses, you're explaining WHY.  Good to see that some people "get it" -

buchead

Hall of Famer

#43 : September 01, 2012, 03:33:38 PM

Preach!

RogerGoodellSucks

Hall of Famer

#44 : September 01, 2012, 04:41:31 PM

It's actually completely different than McDonalds and Disney World. You are a FAN of the Bucs. You are supposed to support the team by going to games and buying merchandise. The die-hards will do it, but unfortunately, Tampa has a lot of **CENSORED**ty fairweather fans who will only go to the games after we start winning consistently and a lot. It's a disgrace. Look at the Browns. They've been bad for so **CENSORED**ing long yet their fans CONTINUE to show up and sell out games.

Bucs fans suck, plain and simple. I wish it was different because I am embarrassed every time I see the stadium with a few thousand empty seats.

Like I said, I am a college student who is driving 4 hours and spending around $200 of my own money to watch the Bucs play the Giants in week 2. We're facing the Superbowl Champs and we'll probably lose, but who cares? I am a die hard Bucs fan who wants to see my team play live and support them.

: September 01, 2012, 04:45:05 PM RogerGoodellSucks

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NO SELLOUT ???? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools