Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Dominiks drafting really all that bad? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#30 : September 03, 2012, 06:23:48 PM

Mark Dominik is the first legitimate "build through the draft" GM in franchise history. I favor that approach because I know it will pay off in the long run. The depth will come and we have a couple of impact FAs to speed up the process of winning with such a young team. The Bucs have drafted some talented players, but the big difference in the 2012 team will be the coaching. These guys WILL play up to their abilities, and they WILL be prepared. They will know their jobs and be ready to play. The few who don't won't be here long. The Bucs will win enough that FAs will WANT to be a part of it next year. I still say 9 wins minimum, even without Joseph.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#31 : September 03, 2012, 06:25:26 PM

We didn't build through the draft during the 90s?

gone

Hall of Famer
#32 : September 03, 2012, 06:28:08 PM

I think Dom deserved to be fired, but they needed to keep someone to help make a trasition at least.  And the team seems to be bending over backwards to preserve the illusion of competence there. 

His dfrafting is not horrible, yet, though it is highly suspect.  I've stated before, his drafting is the only thing that may potentially be able to save him, but they haven't done that yet, we'll see if a new coach can get something out of them.  Dom's biggest problems are that as questionable as his moves in the draft may be turning out, what he's done outside the draft has been massively worse.  And I don't give him much credit for what happened this year, as I do not see him having the power he used to at all.  This draft has other people written all over it, not Dom.  The lack of depth exposed this preseason is telling on both his FA personnel acquisition and drafting. 

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#33 : September 03, 2012, 06:32:14 PM

Now if your GM is Mike Holmgren or Parcells..

Or Ozzie Newsome.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#34 : September 03, 2012, 06:32:25 PM

If Dom was getting decent value for his premium picks he would be considered a wizz kid.  They have done reasonably well at the back half of the draft and in the second draft, but there is at least 1 number 1 (GMC) and two number 2s (Price/Bowers) that they are currently getting little or nothing from and Freeman is coming off a bad year.  If Freeman plays well and GMC stays healthy and plays well and Bowers comes back and plays well, his drafting will be pretty respectable, but that is a lot of "ifs".

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\'s Cancer Center

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#35 : September 03, 2012, 06:34:15 PM

plus a high 3rd that will probably get cut soon.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#36 : September 03, 2012, 06:38:08 PM

plus a high 3rd that will probably get cut soon.

that's right.  I was trying to think of them off the top of my head.  I just recall that there are not many that are even on the field, let alone game changing contributors (like they should be)

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\'s Cancer Center

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#37 : September 03, 2012, 06:44:38 PM

Or Ozzie Newsome.

The Texans GM has done a nice job building that team, don't even know his name.

Edit......Its Rick Smith, took over for Casserly in 2006.  In any event, they have a solid team IMO
: September 03, 2012, 06:52:04 PM The Anti-Java

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#38 : September 03, 2012, 06:55:47 PM

Or Ozzie Newsome.

The Texans GM has done a nice job building that team, don't even know his name.

Edit......Its Rick Smith, took over for Casserly in 2006.  In any event, they have a solid team IMO

He has done a great job for the Texans. One of the better GMs in the league.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#39 : September 03, 2012, 07:05:53 PM

Mark Dominik is the first legitimate "build through the draft" GM in franchise history. I favor that approach because I know it will pay off in the long run. The depth will come and we have a couple of impact FAs to speed up the process of winning with such a young team. The Bucs have drafted some talented players, but the big difference in the 2012 team will be the coaching. These guys WILL play up to their abilities, and they WILL be prepared. They will know their jobs and be ready to play. The few who don't won't be here long. The Bucs will win enough that FAs will WANT to be a part of it next year. I still say 9 wins minimum, even without Joseph.
1. You don't KNOW it will pay off at all. You HOPE it will pay off, as do I. But be it free agency or draft, you need to pick the best players. So far, we don't have more than small pieces of evidence that he has done that.
2. If you consistently fail in part A of this equation (the draft), you never get to part B of the equation (the older players to finish things off).
3. The coach will fail if the players are poor. Putting it on Schiano MORE than the GM is foolish. If the players can't stay on the field, the coach fails. If the players aren't good, the coach fails. But the GM sets him up to succeed or fail. Schiano COULD fail with good players. But he sure can't win with lousy ones.
4. I really hope you're right about 9 wins. But beyond the Oline, who's gonna rush the passer? Will our run defense be even credible? Will our linebackers be even average? This is why I have a tough time seeing more than 6 wins. But the opening quarter of the season is an excellent barometer. Start 2-2 or 3-1 and 9 wins are very attainable. But start 0-3 and 9 wins would be very very difficult.

In Verner We Trust

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#40 : September 03, 2012, 07:13:49 PM

Also, the HC coach does effect the draft. Myron Lewis for example was Raheem's guy all the way. This year Tandy and Goode were obvious Schiano guys. I think Raheem/Dom did ok, but I think Schiano/Dom will do better. I mean look at year one....Barron, Martin, and David look like this could be the best draft in a decade.
  BINGO! Having a good coach DOES affect how young players develop...
In addition, I expect Schiano to excel where Raheem, and even Gruden, failed. Judging Dom before his new coach has coached his first game here is just a bit premature... ;)

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#41 : September 03, 2012, 07:36:25 PM

Were judging Dom for his last 3 years and he should have been fired along with Morris.
: September 04, 2012, 02:45:17 PM Skull and Bones

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#42 : September 03, 2012, 09:28:19 PM

Nitey, the problem is that half of the draft picks on the roster should have been cut already. I agree that his drafting is good(50% are possible NFL players). But what is lacking is a true evaluator of talent. We need someone to tell Dom "NO, Myron Lewis will NOT be on the roster, and NO Quincy Black will NOT be the starting LB, and NO A Benn hasn't earned a roster spot."

I thought things might get better this year, but after the cuts it is evident that Schiano is just as clueless as Dominik and since they have no clue, they "may as well keep the guys they are invested in" is still the MO at OBP. Nothing else explains the anamoly of the sucky draftee sticking on this roster. We get rid of guys who accidentally step on Schiano's line, but keep the sucky players. What are we trying to build here?

The truth is we will NEVER build a winner until we get that guy with the balls to tell Dominik NO....or just fire Dominik. His ideal job would be the director of college scouting, but he has no idea when it comes to free agency and final roster moves. A roster full of the last three years draftees isn't going to win many games.
JMO.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#43 : September 04, 2012, 08:50:42 AM

Mark Dominik is entering his fourth year on the job. He hasn't had a player he drafted make the Pro Bowl. Bruce Allen had a player he drafted make the Pro Bowl in that fourth year. Is Dominik even going to be able to claim that?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
#44 : September 04, 2012, 09:13:00 AM

Drafting starters on a bad team is not success in the draft. Drafting Pro Bowler's and players that can be a starter on any team is success in the draft. This team has been horrid at drafting for years and years and the team on the field suffers for it.

Formerly known as T

I\'ll be optimistic until I see a reason not to be
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Dominiks drafting really all that bad? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools