Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: When the Bucs called Gilberry, he was a little disappointed. « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : September 04, 2012, 01:21:00 AM »

Tampa Bay Bucs Labor Day Report

Monday, September 3, 2012 at 6:12 by Rick Brown
TheLedger.com

When the Tampa Bay Bucs called Wallace Gilberry and told him they wanted to re-sign him, he was a little disappointed.

He wasn’t disappointed or even upset that he was just released by the team on Saturday after thinking he had made the squad. He was disappointed that he had to cut short the day he was spending with his son Brady.

“I was with my son and I hadn’t seen him in awhile,” Gilberry said. “We were out and about hanging out. I had to explain to him we had to cut the day short. For me, that was the hardest part of the situation. Looking at him and telling him Daddy had to go back to work.”

Gilberry was signed in June to provide depth to the defensive line. He spent the past four years with the Kansas City Chiefs.

When he was called from practice on Saturday and informed he was being released, Gilberry said he understood.

“It’s one of those things where you have your mind set on one thing and get sidetracked on another,” he said. “But at the end of the day, it’s a business. At the moment, they felt that’s what they needed to do and I understand that.

“I’m definitely grateful for the opportunity to be back with the guys and practicing but that’s definitely behind me now,” he said. “Today’s a new day. I had a good day of practice under my belt so we’ll see how things work out.”

Getting Healthy

Coach Greg Schiano said the team is getting healthy. Ailments that have kept most of the guys out of part or all of practice seem to be clearing up.

“We have a plan, day on, day off,” Schiano said. “They’ll almost get 48 hours before they’re back on the field. It’s a gradual get back to feeling great and get ready for Sunday.”

Among those expected to be ready to play Sunday include cornerback Eric Wright, linebacker Mason Foster, defensive end Adrian Clayborn and defensive tackle Gerald McCoy. Schiano said if receiver Arrelious Benn continues his progression, he too could be ready by Sunday.

The only player known not to be ready will be cornerback E.J. Biggers.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #1 : September 04, 2012, 06:04:39 AM »

Sounds like a good dad. Tough that he has to leave his son. Nice that he cares. Just think if he had to leave his son for a year or more - like going off to war.

TheQ

Starter

« #2 : September 04, 2012, 06:21:47 AM »

IMO, the Benn/Biggers incident where they were both injured in the off season was a big setback for both of them. And they should have been put on the PUP for 6 weeks and other
healthy players could replace them on the roster. Neither earned a spot on the roster, as they were too banged up to compete.
Gilberry would have never been cut had they PUPed Benn and Biggers. And they could have Shipley and/or Underwood if they had cut Sammie or Parker.

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

« #3 : September 04, 2012, 07:06:26 AM »

IMO, the Benn/Biggers incident where they were both injured in the off season was a big setback for both of them. And they should have been put on the PUP for 6 weeks and other
healthy players could replace them on the roster. Neither earned a spot on the roster, as they were too banged up to compete.
Gilberry would have never been cut had they PUPed Benn and Biggers. And they could have Shipley and/or Underwood if they had cut Sammie or Parker.

I see your point and it's not an unreasonable one but consider this.... you'd have lost both for at least 5 games (bye) and you would be cutting two players afterward.

As far as Shipley, after he he was cut by the Bengals, 30 teams did'nt even bother to file a waiver claim. Shipley is still unsigned to my knowledge.  K2, Price and Okeye all had ongoing issues that required special provisions. The Bucs have been snakebit with injuries and will no longer be signing/drafting the infirmed.

So when Dom says."we know knees" it's a farce.  Schiano is coming to learn that if we know them, then stay the hell away from them!

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #4 : September 04, 2012, 07:42:03 AM »

All the fans were a little "dissappointed" also.....because he SUCKS.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #5 : September 04, 2012, 08:10:38 AM »

What the hell kind of fan are you? How about a little encouragement and support for a borderline player rather than just trashing the guy. In 2010 the Bucs had players they signed off the streets starting for them. Gilberry is a veteran player who could end up being needed by this team. He is NOT the enemy. He is trying to help. He deserves some respect since has already made more money in his short NFL career than you will make in a lifetime. It costs nothing to be civil.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #6 : September 04, 2012, 08:15:07 AM »

What the hell kind of fan are you? How about a little encouragement and support for a borderline player rather than just trashing the guy. In 2010 the Bucs had players they signed off the streets starting for them. Gilberry is a veteran player who could end up being needed by this team. He is NOT the enemy. He is trying to help. He deserves some respect since has already made more money in his short NFL career than you will make in a lifetime. It costs nothing to be civil.

Trying to explain things like respect and courtesy to Doloris is like explaining the intricacies of the universe to a toddler. Don't waste your time.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #7 : September 04, 2012, 08:43:37 AM »

HE BETTER QUIT WORRYING ABOUT HIS FAMILY AND FOCUS ON FOOTBALL OR HE CAN LEAVE WITH ALL THE OTHER UNMOTIVATED JERKS!!!!

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #8 : September 04, 2012, 10:10:36 AM »

I understand a family first mindset, but he doesn't exactly sound stoked to be on an NFL roster... We need Gilberry's experience now, but once Corvey Irvin gets his feet on the ground as a Buc, Gilberry could become expendable (again)...

Axxon

Pro Bowler
« #9 : September 04, 2012, 10:14:59 AM »

HE BETTER QUIT WORRYING ABOUT HIS FAMILY AND FOCUS ON FOOTBALL OR HE CAN LEAVE WITH ALL THE OTHER UNMOTIVATED JERKS!!!!

I was gonna snap of a reply like  "when are you leaving" but that would be so unfair. You're clearly a motivated jerk.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #10 : September 04, 2012, 10:27:03 AM »

The guy had pretty much all off-season to spend with his family unless he had an off season job. He has it too easy. Try working in a real job for a real paycheck.

McBarron

Pro Bowler

« #11 : September 04, 2012, 10:31:21 AM »

"Look son, I have to go now. Some NFL team just called me and offered me $855,000.00 to play with a ball for 6 months. Please understand, son, that life throws these harsh and unfair obstacles at you. You just have to take on such harsh obstacles, and show no fear." -Gilberry

Yeah, dude makes it sound like he is deploying for 15 months in Iraq.

OUT OF TOUCH.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #12 : September 04, 2012, 10:39:18 AM »

I understand a family first mindset, but he doesn't exactly sound stoked to be on an NFL roster... We need Gilberry's experience now, but once Corvey Irvin gets his feet on the ground as a Buc, Gilberry could become expendable (again)...
Everything we've seen points to Gilberry being a much, much, much better player than Irvin.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #13 : September 04, 2012, 10:39:23 AM »

Man - y'all get spun up about nothing...

More than likely, Mr. Rick Brown thought it was a human interest story (ya know the kind where they portray football players as people too) and some jump off the deep end.

Two best parts of a deployment.  The day after you leave and the first day at home.   Been there, done that - on repeat.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

Axxon

Pro Bowler
« #14 : September 04, 2012, 10:39:52 AM »

"Look son, I have to go now. Some NFL team just called me and offered me $855,000.00 to play with a ball for 6 months. Please understand, son, that life throws these harsh and unfair obstacles at you. You just have to take on such harsh obstacles, and show no fear." -Gilberry

Yeah, dude makes it sound like he is deploying for 15 months in Iraq.

OUT OF TOUCH.

I don't know how much you get paid for playing with balls but it sounds like a bit of jealousy in that post.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: When the Bucs called Gilberry, he was a little disappointed. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools