Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Giants Secondary gives us a chance! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#15 : September 06, 2012, 09:40:45 AM

very true, good point.  take the play away and murray still had 4.4ypc. 

my main reasoning is all these teams are beatable.  all have depth issues just like us.  would we have to play good/great?  sure.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#16 : September 06, 2012, 09:46:17 AM

They were playing their 5th CB at nickel due to injuries. Then he pulled his hami and they had to go with their 6th CB.

just saw some highlights on ESPN...do you know how many times their #1 CB webster was beaten? 

repeatedly.

Pewterman

Starter

#17 : September 06, 2012, 09:49:44 AM

Their defense is definitely plagued with injuries but they should be healthier by the time our game rolls around. Overall, their secondary did an O.K. job against the top 2 Dallas receivers until the end and they exploited it with their 3rd man mostly. I'm not sure we have a 3rd WR as talented as Ogletree. Tony Romo also managed to keep drives alive and in turn not allow a good rotation of D-linemen and that's what we'll have to do. Tire them out. And Although we don't have a superstar like Ware, I feel that our overall pass rush is better because Dallas was missing Ratliff and still got inside decently. That gives me hope against Manning and his O-line.

Freeman should better have been watching Romo. The majority of Romo's big plays came from extending the play with his feet after the coverage breaks. The rush is too good to drop back and simply expect a clean pocket. He has to get outside and either run or complete it down field.

As hurt as Dallas's O-line was, they were able to run the ball decently regardless of a splash play. Although it doesn't show the Giants' ability to stop the run, it did show a tired defense that couldn't tackle and finish the play. Keeping the defense on the field will do that to you. With a better line, we should be able to pick up good running yards.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#18 : September 06, 2012, 09:51:50 AM

They were playing their 5th CB at nickel due to injuries. Then he pulled his hami and they had to go with their 6th CB.

just saw some highlights on ESPN...do you know how many times their #1 CB webster was beaten? 

repeatedly.
Very true. But to my earlier point, it wouldn't have happened if Romo wasn't able to evade the pass rush that was continually crashing the edge and still look down the field. Do we think our QB can do that or will he get sacked, throw the ball away, or check down underneath? That's the question.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#19 : September 06, 2012, 10:14:23 AM

Very true. But to my earlier point, it wouldn't have happened if Romo wasn't able to evade the pass rush that was continually crashing the edge and still look down the field. Do we think our QB can do that or will he get sacked, throw the ball away, or check down underneath? That's the question.

well, our QB has shown he can do all 4 of those things!  so we can only hope for the best.  at least if he throws downfield we have 2 guys that win a lot of jump balls.  at least we know freeman is elusive when he wants to be.  and at least martin has shown that dumpoffs this year might get a little better results.  so we have a lot to hope for!

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#20 : September 06, 2012, 11:17:49 AM

repeatedly.

FRG, there's no doubt that Romo's sandlot improvisation skills were the difference, but why do we think the Cowboys OL is comparable to ours? Their interior line was terrible last year, and might be worse this year (at one point, they brought the old guys they had let go to try out). They've been testing the ability of their guards to snap the ball since camp started because of concerns about Costa. I've got a good friend who is a Cowboy's fan and he's been in a total panic over Free's struggles this camp (despite moving back to RT). And granted, Tyrone Smith is a talented guy, but he's playing a position he's never played, and it showed.

I'm not the biggest believer in the Bucs OL, but it's better than that one.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#21 : September 06, 2012, 11:20:28 AM

Also worth noting - despite the presence of a talented front 4, the Giants D wasn't that great last year. It was just 18th overall in DVOA at Football Outsiders for the season, and until late in the year fans were calling for Perry Fewell to get canned.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#22 : September 06, 2012, 11:29:26 AM

I only watched part of the game last night, but Dallas' interior line looked like they were doing ok. While the Bucs may like to think their interior line is better, if it wasn't a problem for Dallas, I can't really give the Bucs any more of an advantage because it didn't hurt the Cowboys.

To these eyes Dallas' most glaring weakness was at tackle and I can see the Bucs' tackles having those same kinds of problems with JPP, Osi, and Tuck.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#23 : September 06, 2012, 11:32:27 AM

Also worth noting - despite the presence of a talented front 4, the Giants D wasn't that great last year. It was just 18th overall in DVOA at Football Outsiders for the season, and until late in the year fans were calling for Perry Fewell to get canned.
It was more a function of injuries than talent, though. Tuck didn't play in 4 games and Osi missed 7. Now those guys are healthy, but Canty isn't, which showed because any team starting 33-year-old Rocky Bernard is going to have problems.

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#24 : September 06, 2012, 11:41:39 AM

We don't have a number 3 WR like Ogletree, that was no fluke he's just reeally good. This years Cruz. We also don't have a QB like Romo.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#25 : September 06, 2012, 11:50:41 AM

I only watched part of the game last night, but Dallas' interior line looked like they were doing ok. While the Bucs may like to think their interior line is better, if it wasn't a problem for Dallas, I can't really give the Bucs any more of an advantage because it didn't hurt the Cowboys.

To these eyes Dallas' most glaring weakness was at tackle and I can see the Bucs' tackles having those same kinds of problems with JPP, Osi, and Tuck.

They only looked ok late when the aged Rocky Bernard was worn out from playing so many snaps. They couldn't open up a hole in the first half, and Romo moved around a lot to help them out.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#26 : September 06, 2012, 11:51:22 AM

It was more a function of injuries than talent, though. Tuck didn't play in 4 games and Osi missed 7. Now those guys are healthy, but Canty isn't, which showed because any team starting 33-year-old Rocky Bernard is going to have problems.

My point is that the back 7, minus Boley isn't great.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#27 : September 06, 2012, 12:02:09 PM

We don't have a number 3 WR like Ogletree, that was no fluke he's just reeally good. This years Cruz. We also don't have a QB like Romo.

Meh....lets not put too much into that one performance. That Giants secondary is in shambles. Im not gonna say that it was a fluke...but I don't think calling him "reeally good" is all that accurate.

Look at Dallas' system. Their #3 receiver is going to get a lot of looks and will be given the 4th most attention by the defense with Austin, Bryant and Witten taking up a lot of the defenses attention.

If anything, Ogletree could be this years Laurent Robinson....A Victor Cruz 2011 impact is highly highly unlikely.

m_j

Starter

#28 : September 17, 2012, 05:02:37 AM

so I was right! unfortunately schiano used that sort of  gameplan only for the first half.

hope they all learned something yesterday!

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#29 : September 17, 2012, 08:41:18 AM

so I was right! unfortunately schiano used that sort of  gameplan only for the first half.

hope they all learned something yesterday!

not sure you really paid attention to the gameplan.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Giants Secondary gives us a chance! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools