Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tampa doesn't deserve a sports Franchise. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

Zsnore

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Pro Bowler
« : September 07, 2012, 02:29:30 PM »

Tell me I am wrong.

We are unloyal.
The interest in any team is spread to thin, there is too many transplants. We don't display any backbone when it comes to this either. We allow the local and national media so degrade us. When a Cowboys fan moves next to a (so-so... that is most of you btw) Bucs fan, he then becomes more of a Cowboys fan(bet on it) We care more about past coaches(Gruden) and players not even on the team(Tebow) then are rookies Mark B, and Doug M. Gruden NEVER raised the standard of winning here btw. A hypocrisy of the "fans" that I fine disgusting

We are fairweather bandwagon types.
We put bags over are heads in the 70's and 80's, and only started caring after we started winning. Now that we aren't winning its time to jump ship(maybe not for SOME of the people here, but everyone of you knows somebody like this). The irony here is that we do have a winning franchise that still gets disrespected nonchalantly by the "fans". Once again the hypocrisy here is disgusting.

We make excuses for everything.
Its to hot. Its to expensive. Its to far. Its more exciting at home. Its a bad product on the field. The economy is bad. The QB is to big. The players on the team aren't interesting. The coaching is poor. The Glazers are cheap. The Rays need an open stadium. The Bucs need a dome.

The next thread I start will be one solely dedicated to excuses. Along the lines like "Which excuse is yours". This way everyone and come in and complain, and give their excuse and feel better about themselves for being a "fan"

This is what I think about the Glazers being cheap...

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #1 : September 07, 2012, 02:39:58 PM »

The value of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers has crossed the $1 billion threshold for the first time, according to the annual NFL team valuation list published by Forbes on Wednesday.

The value of the Bucs, owned by the Glazer family, increased 5 percent over last year to $1.033 billion, according to Forbes, with total revenue of $258 million and operating income of $44.1 million. The operating income ranked 12th among the 32 NFL teams, while the value ranked 18th.

TBO.com

--------------------------------------------------------------

Glazers' income was 12th among 32 teams. Sounds like a pretty good profit margin to me. Do you think a franchise that has so many blackouts but makes a huge profit is a failure and shouldn't exist?

Ju1ce

Starter

« #2 : September 07, 2012, 02:43:20 PM »

In response to your sig Zsnore...That was when Malcolm was involved in the team, not the sons.

Ju1ce

Starter

« #3 : September 07, 2012, 02:44:21 PM »

Expenses are X and Income is Y.

X > Y.

That's why I can't go to the games.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #4 : September 07, 2012, 02:52:44 PM »

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!  The stadium isn't full. Somebody take our team away !

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #5 : September 07, 2012, 02:52:53 PM »

Tampa doesn't deserve a sports Franchise.

Why would you post that on a message board filled with people who are fanatical about the Buccaneers, some of whom have never missed a game at RayJay?

I can see why you have WATCHED by your screen name.

traew01

Pro Bowler

« #6 : September 07, 2012, 02:53:21 PM »

I think there are just a multitude of reasons at play here for both the Rays and the Bucs. The Lightning are very well supported - so something they are doing is working.

For the Rays - I have no doubt the stadium and TV play a massive role. Baseball is unique in that the experience at the ballpark is a HUGE part of the attraction of going to a game - and it needs to be good to get you to go to the game rather than watch it on TV. Baseball is meant to be outdoors, sitting in the stands, sun shining, breeze blowing, socializing. Also - downtown Tampa is simply a much better location. Look at how successful the Lightning have been in downtown Tampa. You get more corporate support, more South Tampa support (where the big $$ is). I recently toured the ballpark in Washington DC where the Nats play, and they have a beautiful ballpark. They said that everyone gets off work and heads right for the ballpark. It is one big social scene and fans love it. Thats what the Rays need.

As for the Bucs - they have historically shown that if they are successful, fans will come. Unfortunately, they put the worst product on the field last year in their long, wretched history. It was unwatchable. And Raheem Morris was generally disliked by most fans. Also, I still think this team lacks identifiable stars the way it had back in the day with Brooks, Lynch, Dunn, Alstott, etc... I think with the Bucs the solution is simple. If they get back to winning in a consistent fashion - and put on a good, enjoyable show for the fans - attendance will rise. But right now fans are in a "put up or shut up - show me" mode. If Schiano builds a winner on the field, fans will come back. I have no doubt. But Tampa is not a town that will support their teams no matter what. There is just too much else to do.     
« : September 07, 2012, 02:55:10 PM traew01 »

Zsnore

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Pro Bowler
« #7 : September 07, 2012, 02:59:11 PM »

The truth hurts. 
Oh, and btw Dolores. The statement should run "The stadium isn't full. Somebody WILL take our team away". Which was the point of my OP. Over your head much?

This is what I think about the Glazers being cheap...

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #8 : September 07, 2012, 03:00:24 PM »

this thread is a few years to early IMO.

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #9 : September 07, 2012, 03:16:34 PM »

The team makes plenty of money, 12th most in the league , and they have one of the most favorable stadium deals ever signed between onwers and a city , so they aren't going to throw that away simply because attendance is in a temporary downturn.

"In this day and age of heightened scrutiny over the spending of public funds, this sort of thing isn’t going to go over well.
But what this does, more than anything, is underscore what a sweetheart deal Bucs ownership got when RJS was built. With owner Malcolm Glazer entertaining moving the team after purchasing it in 1995, nervous voters in 1996 approved a referendum to build the stadium Glazer said was necessary for the team to remain in Tampa.

This week’s news is a reminder of some of the details that went into the team's deal with local government. While the Bucs didn’t pay for construction costs, they do reap the overwhelming majority of the profits generated by the stadium. And that includes more than Bucs games. The organization profits from every event held in the stadium, whether it be a monster truck show or exhibition soccer.
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/category/bucs-tags/glazer-family

Over your head much ?

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
« #10 : September 07, 2012, 03:17:45 PM »

I think there are just a multitude of reasons at play here for both the Rays and the Bucs. The Lightning are very well supported - so something they are doing is working.

The Lightning aren't any more supported. They simply have a smaller building and one year doesn't really show a pattern. Right now they are on an uptick but the area has been a bit schizoid as to how they support professional teams.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

player101

Starter
« #11 : September 07, 2012, 03:20:28 PM »

The Glazers have one of, if not the best stadium deals in the NFL. Unless that deal changes, or another city offers a better deal (which is unlikely), they will never leave Tampa. Literally, if  no one shows up to the games they would likely still make more money than some other teams that do not have as favorable terms in their stadium contracts.

Also, I am sick of hearing how the Bay area is such a **CENSORED**ty place for sports franchises. It is a tired argument. The Buc's have had solid support for being a crappy team for the majority of their existence. Whether you want to face it or not, the Glazer's and their poor management over the past few years should take the majority of the blame for the teams inability to sell these tickets. From seat deposits, massive price increases, noticeable lack of spending, and their inability to find management talent which can keep the team consistent, the Glazer's are ultimately responsible.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------\"The facts are disputable\"

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #12 : September 07, 2012, 03:27:22 PM »

Spot on Z.....

Most fans have to be given a good reason not to buy tickets, jerseys or show up to games. Tampa fans tend to be the opposite and have to be given a good reason to show up.

Not all fans are like this but many certainly are, evidenced by our lack to sell out a home game.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

NovaBuc

Starter

« #13 : September 07, 2012, 03:29:42 PM »

For the Rays - I have no doubt the stadium and TV play a massive role. Baseball is unique in that the experience at the ballpark is a HUGE part of the attraction of going to a game - and it needs to be good to get you to go to the game rather than watch it on TV. Baseball is meant to be outdoors, sitting in the stands, sun shining, breeze blowing, socializing. Also - downtown Tampa is simply a much better location. Look at how successful the Lightning have been in downtown Tampa. You get more corporate support, more South Tampa support (where the big $$ is). I recently toured the ballpark in Washington DC where the Nats play, and they have a beautiful ballpark. They said that everyone gets off work and heads right for the ballpark. It is one big social scene and fans love it. Thats what the Rays need.

While the Nats park is beautiful, there is a rather considerable bandwagon element this year. Last couple of years the park tended to be just a bit over half full. Though I suspect now that more people have been and seen the park and all it has to offer, if/when the Nats have a bad year or two it'll still see a good sized crowd.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #14 : September 07, 2012, 03:33:29 PM »

Tell me I am wrong.
Consider it done.  Town is fine.  Owners mishandled their success and limited funding for far too long.  Now the owners are back in line.  It will take some time.  Heads need to be removed from azzes as all will improve with some good hard hitting competitive games.  Winning will add to that. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tampa doesn't deserve a sports Franchise. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools