Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tampa doesn't deserve a sports Franchise. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#15 : September 07, 2012, 03:39:17 PM

What winning franchise are you referring to?  Surely its not the Bucs who were arguably the worst team in the league last year and haven't won a playoff game in 10 years. 

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#16 : September 07, 2012, 03:39:43 PM

I think there are just a multitude of reasons at play here for both the Rays and the Bucs. The Lightning are very well supported - so something they are doing is working.

The Lightning aren't any more supported. They simply have a smaller building and one year doesn't really show a pattern. Right now they are on an uptick but the area has been a bit schizoid as to how they support professional teams.

Very true, takes around 20,000 to fill the Forum. Takes around 65,000 to fill RJS.  Big difference. Not that it should matter really, we can't even sell 85%. Pretty pathetic.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#17 : September 07, 2012, 03:41:21 PM

And what the hell are you talking bout as far as allowing the national media to disrespect us?  Should we be sending unibomber packages to their homes?

FinkleisEinhorn

Second String

#18 : September 07, 2012, 03:46:14 PM

Tell me I am wrong.

We are unloyal.
The interest in any team is spread to thin, there is too many transplants. We don't display any backbone when it comes to this either. We allow the local and national media so degrade us. When a Cowboys fan moves next to a (so-so... that is most of you btw) Bucs fan, he then becomes more of a Cowboys fan(bet on it) We care more about past coaches(Gruden) and players not even on the team(Tebow) then are rookies Mark B, and Doug M. Gruden NEVER raised the standard of winning here btw. A hypocrisy of the "fans" that I fine disgusting

We are fairweather bandwagon types.
We put bags over are heads in the 70's and 80's, and only started caring after we started winning. Now that we aren't winning its time to jump ship(maybe not for SOME of the people here, but everyone of you knows somebody like this). The irony here is that we do have a winning franchise that still gets disrespected nonchalantly by the "fans". Once again the hypocrisy here is disgusting.

We make excuses for everything.
Its to hot. Its to expensive. Its to far. Its more exciting at home. Its a bad product on the field. The economy is bad. The QB is to big. The players on the team aren't interesting. The coaching is poor. The Glazers are cheap. The Rays need an open stadium. The Bucs need a dome.

The next thread I start will be one solely dedicated to excuses. Along the lines like "Which excuse is yours". This way everyone and come in and complain, and give their excuse and feel better about themselves for being a "fan"

Of all the crappy threads I have seen on this board, this one takes the cake. Look at the bolded. What the hell does that even mean?

My neighbor's a Cowboy fan, so you'll bet I'll turn into a Cowboy fan? Fantastic logic.

Do you really think targeting your anger towards people that visit a Bucs site every day is the way to go? The people here are probably some of the most loyal fans we have.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#19 : September 07, 2012, 03:48:55 PM

In response to your sig Zsnore...That was when Malcolm was involved in the team, not the sons.
not true.  Malcom was never really involved with the team.

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer

#20 : September 07, 2012, 03:52:20 PM

This guy should forever be banned from Pewter Report...

BucsFan4090

Hall of Famer

#21 : September 07, 2012, 03:54:01 PM

Seems to me the more die-hard fans of the Bucs are the ones that live out of state and try to go to as many games as possible.

I know for a fact I always go to games when they are close-by to me.

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

#22 : September 07, 2012, 03:55:09 PM

selling out the stadium wan't a problem when the Bucs were good, had marketable players, and the Glazers invested money into the team. If they do this for a few years again the fans will be back. DIE HARD fans will be there throughout, but this city (FL in general) does not have enough die hard fans to fill the stadium. Truth is, they need the fringe /casual fan to fill the stadium too.

OP sounds like a schill for the Glazers. Most on this board are diehard fans, that's why they're on a Bucs message board. Wrong audience dude.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#23 : September 07, 2012, 03:56:36 PM

Seems to me the more die-hard fans of the Bucs are the ones that live out of state and try to go to as many games as possible.

The out-of-towners like to think so, at least. 

Zsnore

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Pro Bowler
#24 : September 07, 2012, 03:59:36 PM

This "winning fixes everything" is a cop out. Of course winning helps, duh. Stop spewing rhetorical nonsense that even an 6 year old already knows.

Do we deserve to win is my question. We have to be perennial winners for you to care? Come on man, that's what I call crap loyalty. It festers around most of you. This entitlement attitude that saids to everyone "I deserve more even if I give less" or "I am getting less, so I'll give none"

People point the fingers are the Glazers, fine you can do that. Do you even remember what the Bucs were like before the Glazers? Do you... Lets take a trip down memory lane.
Before After

Before After
Before After

Before- 0 Superbowls and 1 Hall of famer, and 1 retired #. After- 1 Superbowl and several future hall of famers.

This is what I think about the Glazers being cheap...

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#25 : September 07, 2012, 04:04:20 PM

This "winning fixes everything" is a cop out. Of course winning helps, duh. Stop spewing rhetorical nonsense that even an 6 year old already knows.
Gotta be competitive every game, and winning does fix everything.  Just a fact. That you find it a cop out and rhetorical, and know 6 year olds get it doesn't bode well for you continually trying to remove this fact from consideration.  And after watching a pro team quit - frankly there is a lot to be earned before fans jump in with both feet and sell the stadium out.  Another fact. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

#26 : September 07, 2012, 04:04:59 PM

I think there are just a multitude of reasons at play here for both the Rays and the Bucs. The Lightning are very well supported - so something they are doing is working.

For the Rays - I have no doubt the stadium and TV play a massive role. Baseball is unique in that the experience at the ballpark is a HUGE part of the attraction of going to a game - and it needs to be good to get you to go to the game rather than watch it on TV. Baseball is meant to be outdoors, sitting in the stands, sun shining, breeze blowing, socializing. Also - downtown Tampa is simply a much better location. Look at how successful the Lightning have been in downtown Tampa. You get more corporate support, more South Tampa support (where the big $$ is). I recently toured the ballpark in Washington DC where the Nats play, and they have a beautiful ballpark. They said that everyone gets off work and heads right for the ballpark. It is one big social scene and fans love it. Thats what the Rays need.

As for the Bucs - they have historically shown that if they are successful, fans will come. Unfortunately, they put the worst product on the field last year in their long, wretched history. It was unwatchable. And Raheem Morris was generally disliked by most fans. Also, I still think this team lacks identifiable stars the way it had back in the day with Brooks, Lynch, Dunn, Alstott, etc... I think with the Bucs the solution is simple. If they get back to winning in a consistent fashion - and put on a good, enjoyable show for the fans - attendance will rise. But right now fans are in a "put up or shut up - show me" mode. If Schiano builds a winner on the field, fans will come back. I have no doubt. But Tampa is not a town that will support their teams no matter what. There is just too much else to do.     

Post of the f'ing year. I owe you a beer.

BucsFan4090

Hall of Famer

#27 : September 07, 2012, 04:05:47 PM

The out-of-towners like to think so, at least.

Well seeing as how I live near FedEx Field which holds 90,000 people and that always seems to be packed and Tampa can't even get 85% capacity for a 65k stadium....yeah...I do think the fans in Tampa suck.

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
#28 : September 07, 2012, 04:06:57 PM

Yes, Tampa is filled with a bunch of bandwagon fans who like to complain why they don't go to games (it's too hot, I hate the Glazers, They didn't draft Teblow, etc etc etc) mix in a bad fanbase, with loads of transplants, retirees, a pretty badly run team from 2003-present day and a tradition of losing and you will get a frequently blacked out fanbase.

You will still see 45k in the stands of Sunday, with the profit margin the Bucs operate on they won't move. When the Bucs win consistently and are shown to not be a joke you will get sellouts again, as with a NFL stadium you need the casual fan or the fringe fan to sell out. Add in the oversaturation of the sports market MLB and NHL, if your a sports fan and aren't getting value with the Bucs you have 2 other franchises who are dedicated to putting a winner on a field. Major markets like Boston, New York and L.A. can support multiple teams winning at the same time. Tampa/St Pete just can't.

There are a lot of reasons for the Blackouts, I do blame the fans for the blackouts after the 85% rule was elected. Heck I had a Eagles fan at work gloat to me about the Black Out, I just told him "Too many people that live here that support a team in another city" He gave me a dirty look and shut up.

Until the people in the community take some pride in the teams that represent the area, Tampa teams will always have attendance issues.

Formerly known as T

I\'ll be optimistic until I see a reason not to be

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#29 : September 07, 2012, 04:08:19 PM

We have 35-40,000 season ticket holders that are loyal to the team.

Are there that many out of state fans who fly into Tampa to see game?

Doubt it.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tampa doesn't deserve a sports Franchise. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools