Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Arizona woman charged $80,000 for 3-hour hospital visit « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#15 : September 08, 2012, 06:09:41 PM

im probably meshing a few of my peeves, my bad.  the situation is baffling nonetheless.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#16 : September 08, 2012, 06:19:15 PM

I might be reading the articles wrong, but this anti-venom seems to treat the symptoms - I don't believe a sting from most scorpions does much in the way of permanency - so someone might have said - this is kinda of expensive as the symptoms will go away over a day or so.... or you can spend 80K and it goes away now... the entire sequence is worth tracking to see the resolution.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#17 : September 08, 2012, 06:51:31 PM

I am not going to jump on the Hospitals just yet as I have 2 relatives who work in an ER and the amount of stuff they have to do for free means they need to have a large overhead for a lot of the stuff they do charge for to cover it. They may be ripping people off, the prices sound exorbitant after all, but I am willing to not jump to that conclusion immediately.

I am. In this particular case, intentional or not, they ripped her off.

In a statement, Chandler Regional officials apologized to Edmonds. They contend they are "working directly" with her to "adjust the high out-of-network cost" of the antivenom.

How about working their way down to zero?

As Arizona Republic reporter Ken Alltucker illustrated, the drug that sells for $100 retail in Mexico costs hospitals like Chandler Regional $3,780 per dose from their distributors.

That's an incredible markup in its own right. But how the hospital's price for the product then rises to $39,652 per dose -- out of network or not -- is beyond rational explanation.

Somewhere in all this is an indictment of the health-care status quo. But even cost shifting prompted by truly burdensome uncompensated care can't justify sending someone a bill like that.

Talk about getting stung.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/opinions/articles/2012/09/06/20120906editorial0907-antivenom-bills-sting.html#ixzz25vC0wOaE

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#18 : September 09, 2012, 10:33:39 AM

God bless America...where profit precedes human well being.  Thank the Lord I have damned good insurance.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#19 : September 09, 2012, 12:35:19 PM

and they work the nurses like slaves so that the hospital execs can make their bonuses and the big bucks.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#20 : September 09, 2012, 12:48:44 PM

and they work the nurses like slaves so that the hospital execs can make their bonuses and the big bucks.

Well paid slaves. 

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#21 : September 09, 2012, 01:04:17 PM

Fairly well paid.   But they do work their asses off in our system.

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
#22 : September 09, 2012, 01:17:00 PM

Regardless of how well they're paid it would take the best part of a year for them to earn enough money to pay this bill.

Assuming they give up food, clothing and shelter.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#23 : September 09, 2012, 01:22:56 PM

the nurses I know make about 100k a year.   Subtract out taxes and they make about 80k a year.    So it would be their entire year's salary.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#24 : September 09, 2012, 01:38:51 PM

The US really has to figure out a way to reduce healthcare costs.  Admin is the main culprit with 40 cents in the dollar being sucked up by insurance companies, hospital admin and the various doctors and provider admin costs.  With salaries accounting for the largest portion of the true healthcare costs we need to get them under control and make sure our universities train more doctors and nurses in particular.  There is more than enough money being on healthcare in the US to give every American great healthcare IF the money was spent wisely. 

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#25 : September 09, 2012, 02:06:14 PM

I agree with that - every word mjs.  The nonsense has to be brought to a halt.  The crap the family in this thread is going through is ridiculous, an insurance company paying 50K+/- is ridiculous.  Gotta be a better way out there.  http://www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2011/06/us-health-care-spending
: September 09, 2012, 02:16:24 PM dbucfan

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#26 : September 09, 2012, 02:27:59 PM

It needs to change but without legislation and government involvement it will carry on as is.   Instead of this in-network out of network nonsense we have now where depending on your insurance you might get charge 3-4 times more for the exact same service we need legislation capping what can be charged.   Just appoint board of professionals to determine what can be charged for procedures and drugs. 

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#27 : September 09, 2012, 02:47:51 PM

That would take a huge bite out of administration for offices, hospitals and insurers.  Then onto the overtreatments....

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#28 : September 09, 2012, 03:36:43 PM

That would take a huge bite out of administration for offices, hospitals and insurers.  Then onto the overtreatments....

That would probably increase over treatments as the greedy scrambled to increase their bottom line.  The answer is probably to put legislation in place to prevent over treatment.   Then do spot check and if a provider over treats go through their records and fine them ten times what they originally over treated for.   If every provider got audited every 4-5 years there would be absolutely no benefit over treating.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#29 : September 09, 2012, 07:02:24 PM

I don't know that legislation is the answer - but there should be a way to threaten such an action to get the profession and insurers/government programs on a viable agreement.  And perhaps that would even back off the medical malpractice issues the doctors fear so much.  As for the audits, given requirements and computerized reviews/audits the sorting out shouldn't be all that difficult.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Arizona woman charged $80,000 for 3-hour hospital visit « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools