Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Zuttah's tell « previous next »
Page: 1

nybuccguy

Pro Bowler
: September 18, 2012, 04:27:06 PM

I was at the game on Sunday when I noticed that Zuttah does something that Ive never seem another NFL center do. Right before he snaps the ball in a shotgun formation he noticeably lifts his butt in the air about 6 inches before he delivers the ball. It is a noticable move, and it is slow and deliberate. He would do this every single time he would snap the ball, and all I could think of is "if I can notice this from 200 feet away, surely every defender notises too, right?" This movement would be a clear indicator of when the snap is coming and must be a tipoff to the defense. Its the same as knowing the snap count. Has anyone else noticed this?

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#1 : September 18, 2012, 04:29:15 PM

sure, but they still cant move until the ball does.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#2 : September 18, 2012, 04:31:30 PM

True, but it will allow for defenses to get a better jump.  I didn't really pay attension to this, so I really have no idea if Zuttah really did do this.  I'm thinking though that if he did, he'd be called for a false start.

nybuccguy

Pro Bowler
#3 : September 18, 2012, 04:32:10 PM

Obviously they cant move but it eliminates any element of surprise pre-snap. We will never be able to draw a team offsides, and our linemen will have a lower chance of completing blocks because the D-line will jump the snap.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#4 : September 18, 2012, 04:35:29 PM

True, but it will allow for defenses to get a better jump.  I didn't really pay attension to this, so I really have no idea if Zuttah really did do this.  I'm thinking though that if he did, he'd be called for a false start.

nope, its considered part of the movement for the snap. Many long snappers do this. It only gives them a fraction of a second of a jump at best. It does however eliminate any need for Freeman to take a false step to "fake" a snap because Zuttah isnt going to be able to make this movement on that fake. Add in D never bites on that step, its really pretty minute and effects next to nothing.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#5 : September 18, 2012, 04:37:25 PM

He does do that. Also, he has a head wiggle as well. They are correctable mistakes, thats alright.

However, I still would like to see a mauler of a center in front of freeman next season. Zutt is an ok center and better than faine would've been this season, but he is never going to be an elite center nor a mauler for that matter.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#6 : September 18, 2012, 04:42:37 PM

" Obviously they cant move but it eliminates any element of surprise pre-snap. We will never be able to draw a team offsides, "

Sounds to me like the perfect ruse to draw them offsides when we really need it.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#7 : September 18, 2012, 04:57:45 PM

" Obviously they cant move but it eliminates any element of surprise pre-snap. We will never be able to draw a team offsides, "

Sounds to me like the perfect ruse to draw them offsides when we really need it.

Its possible. Fake tell.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#8 : September 18, 2012, 05:15:33 PM

Shouldn't the thread title be "Zuttah's Tail"?

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer
#9 : September 18, 2012, 05:20:26 PM

Was thinking the same thing Illum......

nybuccguy

Pro Bowler
#10 : September 19, 2012, 03:03:01 PM

Didnt we need it in trhe 4th quarter last week?  If you watch it, you can tell Zuttah isnt doing it on purpose. Its a clear giveaway of when the ball is going to be snapped.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Zuttah's tell « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools