Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How much is a "Fair share?" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

spartan

Hall of Famer
: September 18, 2012, 09:15:22 PM

OK folks, there are quite a number of self professed progressives on this board who are supportive of the Presidents assertion that the "rich" don't pay their fair share.

So, what is exactly someones "fair share" in terms of a percentage or a figure? I would really be interested in your opinions and I am not being sarcastic.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#1 : September 18, 2012, 09:24:12 PM

This begs the question of what a progressive income tax is vs the US tax code.  I dislike the progressive format and hate the US tax code.  The progressive simply creates a floor and increases percentages as taxable income increases.  I dislike the floor concept - and hate the manipulation provided within the US tax code.  In my mind the US tax code is a model for behavior modification via financial incentives.

Fair share - minimum tax - 1000/year.  That assures everyone has something headed to the US Government.  Then one or two tax rates - the percentage(s) dependent upon what loopholes survive the decimation of the current tax code.  All money made is taxed as income, and all income US companies and citizens make in the world is subject to the tax. No real answers beyond a simple format.  I was a huge proponent of Forbes' plan - you should be able to do you taxes on the 3 x 5 card he referenced.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

spartan

Hall of Famer
#2 : September 18, 2012, 09:33:08 PM

dbucfan, you're not a Progressive so until we get some responses you are not allowed to participate in the thread :) Plus you did not give a figure so your post is null and void. Actually I'm off for an Advil before I read it again.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#3 : September 18, 2012, 09:46:47 PM

Can't give a percentage until one knows if all income is in or if there will be deductions from taxable income - based upon calculations offered by Forbes and others I would anticipate the high teens.  And you're right - I am likely not a progressive. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
#4 : September 18, 2012, 09:49:51 PM

Well, just for the record I know absolutely nothing about this subject so if you're looking for this "progressive" to jump-in you're barking up the wrong tree.
Taxes, economy etc.....I'm a deer in the headlights.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#5 : September 18, 2012, 09:52:19 PM

Well, just for the record I know absolutely nothing about this subject so if you're looking for this "progressive" to jump-in you're barking up the wrong tree.

Didn't you say you were a Libertarian?

spartan

Hall of Famer
#6 : September 18, 2012, 09:53:56 PM

Can't give a percentage until one knows if all income is in or if there will be deductions from taxable income - based upon calculations offered by Forbes and others I would anticipate the high teens.  And you're right - I am likely not a progressive.

No, no, no. I know where you are going with that and am saying not yet. Later, maybe, but not now. It will only cloud the issue.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#7 : September 18, 2012, 09:56:04 PM

Not a progressive or libertarian here, but I tend to agree with Dbucfan and that Forbes plan that was popular many years ago.  I believe it was 17% IIRC.  Flat tax.   The current system is insane.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
#8 : September 18, 2012, 10:01:09 PM

Didn't you say you were a Libertarian?

No. I am not a Libertarian.

But if I was forced to define myself politically, I would qualify the term by describing myself as a Left Leaning Libertarian.

(Socially liberal, small govt. etc)

You don't meet many of those everyday. ;)

I only mentioned progressive because I thought you were assuming that..

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#9 : September 18, 2012, 10:06:48 PM

No, no, no. I know where you are going with that and am saying not yet. Later, maybe, but not now. It will only cloud the issue.
sorry - if you want my thoughts deleted let me know

spartan

Hall of Famer
#10 : September 18, 2012, 10:11:20 PM

No, don't worry about it.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#11 : September 19, 2012, 12:24:28 AM

Flat tax all the way. everyone pays the same amount. Thats the definition of fair. I suppose Im not one of the poeople you were looking for an answer from though. Im guessing most wont post here....couch.....CBW....cough.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#12 : September 19, 2012, 08:26:24 AM

This is pretty much a loaded question. No matter what I say, it isn't going to be considered fair to anyone who advocates eliminating a progressive tax scale, which is pretty much all of you. It amazes me, however, that in a nation dependent on demand, one would advocate regressive taxation. Nothing kills consumerism faster than a tax system that favors the rich and burdens the working class.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#13 : September 19, 2012, 08:59:50 AM

Refusing to answer the question. Not unexpected as it is the usual response.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#14 : September 19, 2012, 09:04:23 AM

Mr. Rich Man, we're going to favor you by letting you pay most of your income to taxes, so the poor don't have to pay anything.

No need to thank us.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How much is a "Fair share?" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools