Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Unofficial Official Cowboys vs. Buccaneers Game Day thread! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 77

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« : September 19, 2012, 05:05:33 PM »

So I just watched the Seahawks and Cowboys game and a few things jumped out at me.

Romo is probably the best in the league at moving around and avoiding sacks. He's uncanny. His ability to run around and make guys miss and then throw the ball deep is scary.

As usual the Cowboys have a ridiculous amount of talent on their roster, but they don't live up to expectations because they are sloppy and make lots of mistakes.

Dallas run defense looks pretty stout. They gave up a few big runs, but most of the day the RBs were stuffed.

Jason Witten had a horrible game. Not sure if he is still hurt from the spleen, but he was pretty bad. Hopefully he doesn't rebound this week.

The Dallas offense has scary talent, but they are sloppy and don't protect the ball. We could cause many turnovers this week.

This week is the Cowboy's home opener, so it's going to be a tough atmosphere, but we can beat these guys. They are sloppy. If we execute like we did in week one and the first half of week two....we will win.

On a separate note, I like the Seahawks. I recommend watching them this year if you get a chance. Nasty defense and run heavy offense with Marshawn Lynch and Robert Turbin. Russell Wilson is great to watch and that hit Tate put on Lee was SICK! The Hawks could be this year's 49ers.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #1 : September 19, 2012, 05:06:58 PM »

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012092300/2012/REG3/buccaneers@cowboys#menu=gameinfo&tab=preview

Why this game is intriguing: This matchup features a simple attractive quality: It'll be a good football game. Two hard-nosed teams who can pound the rock and tackle going strength-on-strength. The fact that both have productive quarterbacks (Tony Romo and up-and-comer Josh Freeman) only amps up the anticipation. Of course, both are coming off tough losses, with the Cowboys ruining a nice start by getting pummeled in Seattle and the Bucs losing a brutal one to the Giants. Dallas should be able to hold serve at home. If not, the questions will come in a flurry.

What to watch: First, the low-hanging fruit. If the Cowboys are in clock-killing mode, up by one score with a few seconds remaining, you had better believe we're turning our attention to the victory formation and how Greg Schiano's players act after their late-game actions against the Giants became a national focus. But in actual news, Tampa Bay has some real weapons on offense, notably free-agent acquisition Vincent Jackson. And Dallas spent all offseason upgrading its secondary. Can any of the Cowboys' cornerbacks cover Jackson? A big-time test.
« : September 19, 2012, 05:27:21 PM JDouble »

IrishBuc

Second String

« #2 : September 19, 2012, 05:13:06 PM »

I think the Bucs can make some gains in the running game. Clark and/or Stocker could have a pretty big impact on this game The Cowboys have some awful safeties, if tBucs Tes can get a matchup with them then I think something good can happen. Dallas have some good CBs but you would still be expecting something good from Mike and VJax, VJax can do well against Carr and while MoClay is talented, Mike WIll should be hoping to beat a rokkie CB no matter how good he is. Mike needs to run hard and strong and stop with those stupid things like he did last week on that 3rd down.

Should be an interesting game, go Bucs!

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
« #3 : September 19, 2012, 05:13:17 PM »

That was a sick hit on Lee. Pretty sure Tate got fined and if he didn't, he should have.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #4 : September 19, 2012, 05:20:30 PM »

The Phillips get fined for his hit on VJax? Anyone know?

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #5 : September 19, 2012, 05:20:44 PM »

Don't you think you should mention that you're posting someone else's work, JDub?

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

sunrisejeff

Hall of Famer

« #6 : September 19, 2012, 05:22:47 PM »

Tate was fined 21k. No word on Phillips.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #7 : September 19, 2012, 05:28:50 PM »

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8398609

After kicking off their season with an impressive effort against the reigning Super Bowl champions, the Dallas Cowboys took a big step back in Week 2.

They know that kind of inconsistency won't get them very far going forward.

Hoping to bounce back in its home opener, Dallas aims for a fifth consecutive victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who could be under a watchful eye Sunday following their controversial actions last weekend.

While a 24-17 win over the New York Giants on Sept. 5 had many singing the Cowboys' praises, Dallas (1-1) looked like a completely different team last Sunday in Seattle. It fumbled four times -- losing one -- and failed to find much running room in a 27-7 loss.

"We want to be a team that can go out there and win and be consistent every week," linebacker Sean Lee said. "That's the identity we're working toward, tough, relentless, hard-nosed football team that's going to be there. We didn't do that. We didn't execute and that's why we lost."

Getting their ground game going again could prove crucial for the Cowboys, who were limited to 49 rushing yards against the Seahawks after running for 143 in Week 1. Dallas has dropped 18 of its last 22 when rushing for fewer than 100 yards.

"Identity is an ongoing thing. It's an ongoing thing for players, it's an ongoing thing for a football team," coach Jason Garrett said. "At times, we've done a really good job playing to that identity and other times we haven't, but it's emphasized to our team a lot and we're trying to get better and better in that."

The Cowboys haven't had much difficulty running the ball during their four-game winning streak in this series, averaging 121.3 yards on the ground. Dallas ran for 160 and outgained Tampa Bay 399-190 overall in a 31-15 road victory Dec. 17.

The Buccaneers (1-1) beat Carolina 16-10 in their opener and nearly won in East Rutherford last Sunday, but gave up 25 points in the fourth quarter and lost 41-34 to the Giants.

"It hurts, but I still believe in my teammates, and the coaching, and the staff," defensive lineman Michael Bennett said. "It's going to come together and it's going to be something great."

In addition to its defensive meltdown, Tampa Bay drew the Giants' ire for ramming into New York's offensive line with Eli Manning set to take a knee with 5 seconds left in the game -- a desperate attempt to knock the ball loose.

"To me it's a clean, hard, tough, finish-the-game play," first-year coach Greg Schiano said. "Some people disagree with that. That's certainly what makes the world go round. Everybody has opinions. I don't have any remorse or regret. It's clean hard football. It was no sneak attack. We were down ready to go, and that's how we do it all the time."

While Schiano doesn't sound like he'd avoid using the tactic again, Garrett isn't too concerned.

"I don't want to speak to that situation. That was between Tampa Bay and the Giants. Certainly, there's a style of football they're trying to implement down there in Tampa and feel like that's in some ways indicative of how they want to play, how they're going to handle an end-of-the-game situation," he said.

"We're going to focus on our team and the things that we've got to get better at, and preparing for that ball game."

Along with an improved rushing effort, the Cowboys need a more efficient performance from Tony Romo, who went 23 for 40 for 251 yards with a touchdown and an interception against the Seahawks.

The three-time Pro Bowler will face a Buccaneers team that allowed a team-record 510 passing yards to Manning last weekend. Romo has been superb in three career matchups versus Tampa Bay, averaging 302.6 yards while throwing 11 touchdowns and no interceptions.

Josh Freeman and Vincent Jackson connected five times for 128 yards and a score last week. The duo will try for another big day against a Cowboys pass defense that's allowing 160.0 yards per game -- third lowest in the league.

Dallas, though, may not have starting safety Gerald Sensabaugh available due to a calf injury.

The Buccaneers have been outscored by an average of 19.8 points during an eight-game road losing streak. They haven't dropped nine in a row as the visiting team since a 10-game skid spanning the 1995 and '96 seasons.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #8 : September 19, 2012, 05:33:17 PM »

Nicks Points to Establishing the Run as Top Priority

Posted on September 19, 2012 by Scott Smith   

Even in a league that is increasingly dominated by the passing game, most NFL coaches and players will insist on the importance of establishing the run on offense.

In some weeks, it is easy to see why that is such a point of emphasis.  For the Buccaneers, this is one of those weeks.

Pro Bowl guard Carl Nicks chose the Buccaneers in free agency this spring in part because he relished the challenge of playing in a run-first attack and trying to impose his will on the opposing linemen.  As the Buccaneers prepare to take on the Dallas Cowboys in their city-sized stadium, with their elite pass-rushers and explosive offense, Nicks understands that this is exactly the challenge he signed up for.

“It’s important to establish the run every week, but especially against Dallas because you don’t want those guys to rush up the field and just have free rein on the quarterback,” said the 2011 first-team All-Pro blocker.  “So you’ve got to mix it up, throw in some draws and some screens, and definitely run.”

Establishing the run this Sunday would take care of two very important tasks for the Buccaneers.  First, it would reduce the number of times that Josh Freeman is subjected to the hostilities of the sack-happy DeMarcus Ware.  Second, it would correct the time-of-possession imbalance from the Giants game that cost the team dearly in the end.

“The defense played way too many snaps last week,” said Nicks.  “We’ll keep losing games if the defense plays 84 plays, not including overtime.  We need at least 31, 32 minutes of time of possession.  We’ve got to keep the defense fresh because everybody’s seen how good they were when they were fresh.  If they played, you know, 60 or 55 snaps, I’m sure we would have won.”

Nicks’ bottom line: “Absolutely, we’ve got to run the ball.  We’ve got to kill the clock and run the ball.”

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #9 : September 19, 2012, 05:36:56 PM »

So I just watched the Seahawks and Cowboys game and a few things jumped out at me.

Romo is probably the best in the league at moving around and avoiding sacks. He's uncanny. His ability to run around and make guys miss and then throw the ball deep is scary.

Josh Freeman did a nice job of that also once upon a time . However , now he lost 25 pounds , and instead of becoming more mobile , he turned into Bernie Kosar.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
« #10 : September 19, 2012, 05:39:14 PM »

Carl Nicks agreed that if the Cowboys blitzed, he'd only block three of them at the same time.
Link: Carl Nicks agrees to block only 3

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

« #11 : September 19, 2012, 05:50:43 PM »

Jdub, to make this thread official, you need to go back and delete some of your posts.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #12 : September 19, 2012, 05:56:02 PM »

Jdub, to make this thread official, you need to go back and delete some of your posts.

Hell, the last guy to make a game thread is MIA.

I think Morgan needs to be investigated by the authorities, or at least tell us what he did with Boids body.

Beware J-Dub

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #13 : September 19, 2012, 06:30:41 PM »

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #14 : September 19, 2012, 06:36:31 PM »

Hell, the last guy to make a game thread is MIA.

I think Morgan needs to be investigated by the authorities, or at least tell us what he did with Boids body.

Beware J-Dub

I've seen a spiteful woman in action...will have to shoot B-Fink a text, make sure he's ok.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 77
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Unofficial Official Cowboys vs. Buccaneers Game Day thread! « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools