Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Giants vs. Panthers « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7

fanofkit

Hall of Famer

#90 : September 21, 2012, 08:47:55 PM

Some people, myself included, just don't like him because they were disgusted by his behavior when he was drafted by the Chargers.
Which, no offense, is a dumb reason. The Chargers wanted Rivers from the start. They knew the Giants wanted to get Eli at any cost. Eli told San Diego before the draft he didnt he wasn't interested in playing for them. Privately. He wasn't a **CENSORED** about it to the media like everybody thinks.

The Chargers drafted Eli and used him as bait to for Rivers and a boatload of picks from the Giants. Afterwords AJ Smith came out public with the 'Eli not wanting to play for us' scenario just for the spite of it. A lot of this is from Ernie Accorsi's book.

Sadly this isn't what you hear from the mainstream sports media.

-Sharky out

You can recognize someone's success and still very much dislike them.  As is the case here. 

I'm sorry, but I can't erase the childish behavior he displayed in New York during the draft.  The rolling eyes, the pouting, the disdain and disrespect he showed holding the Chargers jersey- all while daddy Manning watched from behind like some "helicopter parent" protecting his precious "do nothing wrong" middle school child.  All that pouting because he was in danger of cashing his multi million dollar checks somewhere he didn't want to be.  He behaved like a spoiled and entitled brat and not like a man- in my opinion.  He could have handled it behind closed doors with his agent, but chose to make a display on draft day before the cameras.  To me he insulted a city, its fan base, and acted like so many "me first" , no time for respect -kids of this generation I see in schols every day. 

You may consider it a dumb reason, but I don't. It is true what they say about first impressions, and this one has stayed with me.  I believe he is an accomplished and very good player but a selfish and spoiled fellow.  Lots of respect as a payer very little as a person.  But what the hey, its just my opinion.

fanofkit

Hall of Famer

#91 : September 21, 2012, 08:56:38 PM

Some people, myself included, just don't like him because they were disgusted by his behavior when he was drafted by the Chargers.
Which, no offense, is a dumb reason. The Chargers wanted Rivers from the start. They knew the Giants wanted to get Eli at any cost. Eli told San Diego before the draft he didnt he wasn't interested in playing for them. Privately. He wasn't a **CENSORED** about it to the media like everybody thinks.

The Chargers drafted Eli and used him as bait to for Rivers and a boatload of picks from the Giants. Afterwords AJ Smith came out public with the 'Eli not wanting to play for us' scenario just for the spite of it. A lot of this is from Ernie Accorsi's book.

-Sharky out

You can recognize someone's success and still very much dislike them.  As is the case here. 

I'm sorry, but I can't erase the childish behavior he displayed in New York during the draft.  The rolling eyes, the pouting, the disdain and disrespect he showed holding the Chargers jersey- all while daddy Manning watched from behind like some "helicopter parent" protecting his precious "do nothing wrong" middle school child.  All that pouting because he was in danger of cashing his multi million dollar checks somewhere he didn't want to be.  He behaved like a spoiled and entitled brat and not like a man- in my opinion.  He could have handled it behind closed doors with his agent, but chose to make a display on draft day before the cameras.  To me he insulted a city, its fan base, and acted like so many "me first" , no time for respect -kids of this generation I see in schols every day. 

You may consider it a dumb reason, but I don't. It is true what they say about first impressions, and this one has stayed with me.  I believe he is an accomplished and very good player but a selfish and spoiled fellow.  Lots of respect as a payer very little as a person.  But what the hey, its just my opinion.

By the way, no offense, but I would hardly consider Accorsi as an unbiased source for this discussion...

Sharky

Rookie

#92 : September 21, 2012, 09:31:40 PM

Eli and Freeman both started 41 games over their first three years and have almost identical numbers, Freeman's being slightly better.....just sayin. Also, Eli still averages 20 interceptions a year and threw 3 first half interceptions verse us just last week. He looks very good when there is no pressure and he has all day in a nice clean pocket, but get in his face and 9 times out of 10 he gets flustered and makes bad throws and bad decisions. Some of you guys are drinking Eli kool-aid.
No doubt Freeman has played better than Eli did in their first few years in the league. Will he become the elite SB champion that Eli is now? Remains to be seen.

And give any decent QB a ton of time and he will pick you apart. I've seen it done to our defense tons of times.

As far as Eli's interceptions, we are a high powered offense and Eli has that gunslinger mentality that sometimes puts the ball in harms way. But thats the thing, he can throw picks, and then go out again and toss for three TD's. As far as the fluke year with 25 picks, read my other post. As Im sure you know, Drew Brees had 20+ Int's and all people could talk about is how Eli threw too many picks.

Eli's fearlessness is the reason the Giants have been so successful with him at the QB spot. He never loses confidence. The same can't be said for many QB's in this league.

What QB doesn't get flustered in the face of a rush? Please give me an example? The same can be said for every QB in the league. Whenever teams play Tom Brady, the gameplan is to get pressure and knock him around. You do this: he becomes Mr ordinary.

SB 42, 46. Case and point.

What happened to the great Aaron Rodgers when we got to him in the playoffs? Eli flat outplayed the league MVP.

The 49ers got to Brees last year and he turned it over a gazillion times. Notice a pattern here? It's not just Eli. In fact the notion that if you "rattle" Eli, you win the game is false and cliche.

The thing is, you really can't rattle Eli. Sure you might get a pick from him, sack him 6 times etc.. it doesnt matter. He'll keep swingin' and kill you with a game winning drive.

I don't wanna hear how he's only "very good" when there is a nice clean pocket. The 49ers monster defense thought they could rattle Eli. I have never seen a QB take a beating like that in my life. Eli hung in there and threw for over 300 yds and 2 touchdowns. You understate him too much.

Sharky

Rookie

#93 : September 21, 2012, 09:51:37 PM

-Sharky out

By the way, no offense, but I would hardly consider Accorsi as an unbiased source for this discussion...
Sure Accorsi is not unbiased. But neither is the media who took this and ran with it like crazy. Me thinks fans just want to believe what the general portrayal of someone is. And I'm not saying that you are that person necessarily, but most fans I know don't think for themselves and just demonize someone because of what they read somewhere.

Also, dont you think he has matured from his selfish ways of what you say was pouting and eye rolling?

Eli is like the most low-key, unselfish guy I know of in football besides a guy like Troy Polomalu. I have never gotten the spoiled vibe from him at all. Eli to me is an extremely humble guy. He drives a Toyota.

But if that is your opinion on him, I'll respect it. You aren't the first to hate Manning and won't be the last. We still have the entire city of Philadelphia :)

: September 21, 2012, 09:59:07 PM Sharky

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#94 : September 21, 2012, 09:54:22 PM

Eli. if not already, will soon be the NFL's top QB. He's not the best arm, but has more icewater in his veins than anyone. Nothing seems to rattle him or break his focus.

Sharky

Rookie

#95 : September 21, 2012, 10:00:32 PM

Actually, Eli has one of the best and most accurate deep balls in the league. Arm strength isn't an issue with him.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#96 : September 21, 2012, 10:12:53 PM

No arguement there; what I'm trying to say is having the absolute strongest arm isn't necessarily what makes a QB "the best". I'll take coolness under pressure any day, combined with ability to deliver the football in a variety of throwing situations. Not pure arm strength...

fanofkit

Hall of Famer

#97 : September 21, 2012, 10:16:58 PM

-Sharky out

Sure Accorsi is not unbiased. But neither is the media who took this and ran with it like crazy. Me thinks fans just want to believe what the general portrayal of someone is. And I'm not saying that you are that person necessarily, but most fans I know don't think for themselves and just demonize someone because of what they read somewhere.

Also, dont you think he has matured from his selfish ways of what you say was pouting and eye rolling?

Eli is like the most low-key, unselfish guy I know of in football besides a guy like Troy Polomalu. I have never gotten the spoiled vibe from him at all. Eli to me is an extremely humble guy. He drives a Toyota.

But if that is your opinion on him, I'll respect it. You aren't the first to hate Manning and won't be the last. We still have the entire city of Philadelphia :)

Certainly don't hate the guy, but don't care for him.  I appreciate your love for him, he is your boy- I would go to bat for a guy like Sapp, since he wore the red and pewter.  I find if funny however, that a New Yorker is complaining about the national meia beating up on their team...  Yeah, they get nooo respect and are sooo put upon...   (sarcasm) 

Again, my opinion  was not shaped by some Mainstream media conglomerate trying to brainwash me into disliking the guy- it was shaped by his behavior right there on stage at the Draft.  Has he matured?  I should hope so, but I don't follow him close enough to see anything that would change my opinion- other than seeing him on every Dirsct TV commercial every 30 seconds of a ball game.  (Again, those poor New York players can never get the exposure they deserve...)   You have a fine QB in New York and should feel free to rally around him.  There is just something Cutleresque about the guy to me.

Sharky

Rookie

#98 : September 21, 2012, 10:42:06 PM

No arguement there; what I'm trying to say is having the absolute strongest arm isn't necessarily what makes a QB "the best". I'll take coolness under pressure any day, combined with ability to deliver the football in a variety of throwing situations. Not pure arm strength...
I hear ya brother.

Sharky

Rookie

#99 : September 21, 2012, 10:59:33 PM

Certainly don't hate the guy, but don't care for him.  I appreciate your love for him, he is your boy- I would go to bat for a guy like Sapp, since he wore the red and pewter.  I find if funny however, that a New Yorker is complaining about the national meia beating up on their team...  Yeah, they get nooo respect and are sooo put upon...   (sarcasm) 

Again, my opinion  was not shaped by some Mainstream media conglomerate trying to brainwash me into disliking the guy- it was shaped by his behavior right there on stage at the Draft.  Has he matured?  I should hope so, but I don't follow him close enough to see anything that would change my opinion- other than seeing him on every Dirsct TV commercial every 30 seconds of a ball game.  (Again, those poor New York players can never get the exposure they deserve...)   You have a fine QB in New York and should feel free to rally around him.  There is just something Cutleresque about the guy to me.
I feel where you are coming from.

The Mainstream media conglomerates don't diss the Giants repeatedly. Nor do they prop us up like you seem to believe. I'll set the record straight: there is no NY conspiracy.

also I'm not a New Yorker, nor do I come from NY. Eli in some dumb ads doesn't mean the guys on ESPN love his guts. Trust me nobody has a special place for NY teams more than anybody else. The Packers, Pats, and Saints get loads of attention. Sheesh even the Panthers were getting tons of hype prior to our thurs night game.

Lol it does seem that every fan feels their team is oppressed by the media. We feel our SB champs team gets no respect by analysts, while you guys think just because the Giants are from NY, they will have the commentators on their jocks.

As fans we get all up in arms because of what we pick and choose to believe. The truth is somewhere in between.

: September 21, 2012, 11:04:19 PM Sharky

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#100 : September 21, 2012, 11:14:20 PM

Lol it does seem that every fan feels their team is oppressed by the media.

That is because NFL Network and ESPN spend 90% of the time covering 10 teams. The other 22 teams get to share the rest of that 10% of air time. The Giants don't get as much love as the Steelers, Cowboys, or Patriots...but they are in that 10.

Jets
Steelers
Patriots
Cowboys
Packers
Ravens
Giants
Broncos (formerly Colts)
Eagles
Saints

If you are a fan of these 10 teams and still complain about media coverage....you are delusional.

Page: 1 ... 5 6 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Giants vs. Panthers « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools