Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Perspective « previous next »
Page: 1 2

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
: September 25, 2012, 11:15:33 AM

Think back to August and the predictions for this season. How different is the reality? The offense was perceived as the team strength, in particular the OL. Three games in, more of a team weakness. The receiving corps was viewed as having decent depth, yet has seen the most change in the first three weeks. The defense was considered the weak link, but so far the only bright spots have all been on defense. The DL is producing sacks and turnovers and the LBs have been a great surprise. After the ten game losing streak where the effort just wasn't there, 2012 looks much more promising. It's frustrating that the Bucs could have been 3-0 with a few adjustments in the game plan, but it's also encouraging that we at least had a chance to win against playoff caliber teams.

I predicted a minimum of 9 wins this season. I still believe that is possible, but the offense has some issues. We have to get better on the OL on pass protection and on run blocking. We finally have speed receivers. We need to get them involved. Doug Martin can't do it all on every play. We're wasting Blount, Ware, and Smith. We need better game plans and the ability to adjust. Freeman needs to move out of the pocket to extend passing plays and to become a threat to run for a first down. Also, THROW the damn ball on FIRST down once and a while.

There are no quitters on this roster. The effort is there, and it will pay off in the long run.

TBChucky

Pro Bowler
#1 : September 25, 2012, 11:58:09 AM

I said I would be happy with a competitive team this season. I guess I see the potential our team has now, because I was very upset with the two losses. I am glad that we can now hang with good football teams, but I want some wins! I'll be at RayJay this weekend cheering to defeat the Redskins..

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#2 : September 25, 2012, 12:03:43 PM

Good post Sparky...

Probably not well received by the I want it now crowd, but regardless of perspective - no one can say these guys are not invested. Building something good takes time, especially in the NFL - way too much talent as a whole.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#3 : September 25, 2012, 12:45:09 PM

Good post Sparky...

Probably not well received by the I want it now crowd, but regardless of perspective - no one can say these guys are not invested. Building something good takes time, especially in the NFL - way too much talent as a whole.

The 1-2 record was predictable. Nobody could have guessed how it happened. The prospects for 2013 are really exciting. Address a few needs.........accumulate some depth.....anther year of experience.......upgrade the coaching staff(offense)........build a winning attitude. The NFCS can be had. We still have problems, but the solutions are within reach. It's not like it was in '09. We don't have to blow the whole thing up and start from scratch.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#4 : September 25, 2012, 05:15:18 PM

It's frustrating that the Bucs could have been 3-0 with a few adjustments in the game plan,

i realize many fans are upset with lack of adjustments and playcalls/personnel...but we would also be 3-0 with a few plays of better execution and referee competence.  (i realize this goes both ways)

against the giants if foster hits eli, if a facemask or helmet to helmet.  or if CB's turn inside rather than out.
against the cowboys if watson blocks a punt or the refs give wright his TD.

things are looking up.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#5 : September 25, 2012, 05:59:10 PM

It's frustrating that the Bucs could have been 3-0 with a few adjustments in the game plan,

i realize many fans are upset with lack of adjustments and playcalls/personnel...but we would also be 3-0 with a few plays of better execution and referee competence.  (i realize this goes both ways)

against the giants if foster hits eli, if a facemask or helmet to helmet.  or if CB's turn inside rather than out.
against the cowboys if watson blocks a punt or the refs give wright his TD.

things are looking up.

Last year we were getting blown out. At least this year we're close, and we're not losing to bad teams.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#6 : September 25, 2012, 06:30:15 PM

The only thing that has really surprised me is that the running game is terrible, and there's hardly any short passes to Martin, and there's hardly any carries for Blount.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#7 : September 25, 2012, 06:30:24 PM

Adjustments and depth are the answers long term. I hated the loss to NY & Dallas but everyone would be intoxicated with Super Bowl talk right now. We are a long way away from that but at least on the road to recovery. Last year we were at the morgue and DOA. Hard to believe after last year how competetive we are. Also from last to first in run defense...amazing.I put the NY loss on the dline for exposing the DB's on the island against Dallas, I put it on the oline not opening holes for the run offense. The special teams (other than kicking) is consistently not special. Unfortunately there are no sure wins going forward. The Saints 0-3? Rams undefeated? The referee situation? All of the injuries? 8-8 and in every game will satisfy me this year. Another solid draft and some more depth FA's gets us t0 10-6 and the playoffs the following year. All in all, although it's painful, we are progressing.
: September 25, 2012, 06:32:40 PM Rusty

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#8 : September 25, 2012, 06:36:00 PM

I was expecting 2-2 at the bye and that is a good possibility still.

A little disappointed in the way they have lost the 2 though.  More like gave them away.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

danimal09

Starter

#9 : September 25, 2012, 06:45:14 PM

Defense is really keep us alive in games. Besides giving up so many yards to Eli they have been great against the run and creating splash plays. Lets hope the O can start coming together and be the strength they were supposed to be!

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#10 : September 25, 2012, 08:02:10 PM

Too me it doesn't matter what was expected or predicted. The reality is our defense has been much better than expected, and we should be 3-0 right now. The reality is, the only reason we aren't 3-0 is because our offense has been embarrassingly bad. Freeman looks like a deer in headlights and the play calling is unimaginative and just bad. It doesn't matter what was expected or predicted because we could and should be 3-0 and it is very frustrating that we aren't.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#11 : September 25, 2012, 08:16:10 PM

It's always easy to blame the QB, but so many OTHER things have by an eyelash not gone our way in both losses. Watson's punt block attempt. The fumble pickup by Wright. And Talib has been an inch or 2 from knocking down some of the completions against him. Schiano said Martin was very close to breaking more than one of his runs. And then there are the QB pressures; we've come up just short often.
     Of course if this pass or that pass was more accurate, we would have potentially scored too. Not sayin' Freeman gets off free, but there are MANY opportunities for improvement, not just the QB...

Mic

Starter

#12 : September 25, 2012, 09:30:18 PM

we will go 7-0 the next 7 games we are better than the next 7 teams we play.

The only team you could make an argument for is the Chargers

ufcguy32

Starter

#13 : September 25, 2012, 09:40:33 PM

i hope schiano feels the pressure from fans to show us a real offense.  we will not accept the non sense for it and he is ultimately responsible

BaghdadJoe54

Starter

#14 : September 25, 2012, 10:00:37 PM

Too me it doesn't matter what was expected or predicted. The reality is our defense has been much better than expected, and we should be 3-0 right now. The reality is, the only reason we aren't 3-0 is because our offense has been embarrassingly bad. Freeman looks like a deer in headlights and the play calling is unimaginative and just bad. It doesn't matter what was expected or predicted because we could and should be 3-0 and it is very frustrating that we aren't.

Agreed 100%.  Sums it up quite nicely.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Perspective « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools