Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: After 3 weeks, the Bucs have the #32 offense and the #26 defense in the league « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

#30 : September 26, 2012, 05:06:44 PM

Try and set the bar higher.

disagree, think what some expect is perfection.  they want a great offense, a great defense, a lot of interceptions, a lot of sacks, a lot of TD passes, a lot of TD runs, punts blocked, KO returns for TD's.

dont worry the fact that the team is learning new offense, new defense, new playcalls &audibles, new teammates.  dont worry that most realistic fans werent sold on freeman before the year began.  dont worry that most can comprehend that blount has had some kind of major issue since he began playing football.  dont worry that mike williams has been going downhill ever since teams got tape on him.  dont worry that our OL is completely overrated.  dont worry that 2 of our CB's expected to get major playing time this year have been injured.

set the bar at perfection and allow no exceptions.

Solid post..... probably won't appease the " I wan't more Skittles" crowd though.

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#31 : September 26, 2012, 05:25:52 PM

Eh, "total defense" is a garbage stat to be quite frank. The only defensive statistic that matters is PPG allowed in which Tampa is 12th in the league.

Disagree since it's really more like a team stat because the offense can directly lead to points being scored, int returns, turnovers in scoring position, etc.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#32 : September 26, 2012, 05:26:16 PM

they want a great offense, a great defense, a lot of interceptions, a lot of sacks, a lot of TD passes, a lot of TD runs, punts blocked, KO returns for TD's.

What fan doesn't want all this from their team?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#33 : September 26, 2012, 05:58:06 PM

thats a good point, and i agree.  i should have said expect.  i want all that also. 

luckily for me, im able to understand that there arent 6 probowl DE's on anyones roster.    cultures arent changed overnight.   the bucs are doing some great things.  some others, not so much.  so why harp on that?  we went from a frickin' JuCo team for most of last year to a team that is as competitive as they come.  we can nitpick anything.  we can nitpick the giants 2011 season.  we can nitpick aaron rodgers.  or we can enjoy whats happening in tampa right now.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#34 : September 26, 2012, 06:07:03 PM

thats a good point, and i agree.  i should have said expect.  i want all that also. 

luckily for me, im able to understand that there arent 6 probowl DE's on anyones roster.    cultures arent changed overnight.   the bucs are doing some great things.  some others, not so much.  so why harp on that?  we went from a frickin' JuCo team for most of last year to a team that is as competitive as they come.  we can nitpick anything.  we can nitpick the giants 2011 season.  we can nitpick aaron rodgers.  or we can enjoy whats happening in tampa right now.

I think the bold will confuse some posters...

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#35 : September 26, 2012, 06:37:33 PM

The problem is that we've been lucky

I know. Anytime we do anything good or a Buccaneer player looks good....it's luck.

Some of it has been luck....Witten dropping several passes including the one that would at least had things 1st and goal.

The several drops in the end zone by a few Giants receiving targets in the 1st half of that game.

What gets ignored by the negative nancys..is that all teams pretty much have "dumb luck" like this happen in their favor at many points of the season. It all evens out.

Exactly. It's just part of the game. Every team has drops or other unforced errors. You think the defenses ranked higher than us haven't had any "luck" ? But somehow guys like Dal think we are the only ones that get a lucky break now and then, and therefore we aren't really as good as our stats. It's a sad state of mind.

Also, we've have at least 10 bad calls or missed calls in the first three games that have hurt us....but that doesn't get figured in. None of the negative stuff that we've overcome matters. Only thing some can see is the few positive breaks that clearly show we are just lucky and not good. I bet Cam Newton and every running back we've faced had on the wrong cleats too. There is obviously no way that we are #1 verse the run and in TFL just because our guys have played sound, hard nosed football.

#crazy

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#36 : September 26, 2012, 07:01:54 PM

And there are other guys are who get all butt hurt every time someone doesn't suck up to everything the team does. Those homers sure get old in a hurry, every one of them sounds exactly the same "Yippee, skippy, Bucs can do no wrong!" It's like talking to a ten year old about his first crush.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

TheQ

Starter

#37 : September 26, 2012, 07:02:12 PM

It's the game plan and JOSH FREEMAN that is holding this team back.
Bad or poor decisions stand out in every game so far.
He doesn't run when it's open and he throws off target passes. run, run, pass, punt...time after time.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#38 : September 26, 2012, 07:56:28 PM

Eh, "total defense" is a garbage stat to be quite frank. The only defensive statistic that matters is PPG allowed in which Tampa is 12th in the league.

Disagree since it's really more like a team stat because the offense can directly lead to points being scored, int returns, turnovers in scoring position, etc.
What?

Anyway, the Falcons have used similar strategy, the control the TOP and play good red-zone defense for the past 4 years under Mike Smith. The Falcons "total defense" is garbage but they know how to not allow TD's and their running game controls the pace of the game. This year, the Falcons may be a little different with the maturation with Matt Ryan and all those weapons they surrounded him with.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#39 : September 26, 2012, 08:45:38 PM

Did anyone watch the Falcons' defense verse Peyton Manning? They looked pretty freaking good. Combine their offense with a new hybrid defense....and they could really be something. To early to say for sure, and losing Grimes will hurt them, but I think they could be a legit contender this year. Guess we'll have a better idea by week 12 when we play them.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#40 : September 26, 2012, 09:12:41 PM

This offense reminds me of lane kiffin at Tennessee...he purposely ran and ran to keep the scoring down.  The games appeared closer than they actually were.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#41 : September 26, 2012, 09:41:26 PM

This offense reminds me of lane kiffin at Tennessee...he purposely ran and ran to keep the scoring down.  The games appeared closer than they actually were.

are you saying we have more talent than the opponent or less?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#42 : September 26, 2012, 09:44:19 PM

We had the ball 26 minutes and the Cowboys had the ball 34 minutes.

We had the ball 26 minutes and the Giants had the ball 34 minutes.

We aren't even winning the time of possession. Try again.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#43 : September 26, 2012, 09:56:17 PM

What?

Anyway, the Falcons have used similar strategy, the control the TOP and play good red-zone defense for the past 4 years under Mike Smith. The Falcons "total defense" is garbage but they know how to not allow TD's and their running game controls the pace of the game. This year, the Falcons may be a little different with the maturation with Matt Ryan and all those weapons they surrounded him with.

And now they might actually have a chance to win something

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#44 : September 26, 2012, 09:57:46 PM

what weapons did they really surround ryan with?  i thought everyone mocked them for the julio trade?

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: After 3 weeks, the Bucs have the #32 offense and the #26 defense in the league « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools