Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs expect a trade-style acquisition on the defensive line soon… « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : September 28, 2012, 01:30:01 AM »

How the Tampa Bay Bucs expect a trade-style acquisition on the defensive line soon…

Ian Rapoport |    NFL.com

Bucs defensive tackle Da’Quan Bowers is getting in a good stretch (Associated Press)

The Tampa Bay Bucs were dealt a harsh blow last Sunday, and I don’t just mean the loss to the Cowboys. Disruptive defensive lineman Adrian Clayborn, a former first-round pick, went down for the season with a knee injury. He tore his MCL, partially tore his ACL, and will almost certainly need surgery.

For a Bucs D-line that has stopped the run better than anyone, it stings. And that’s especially true because they haven’t been quite as effective pressuring quarterbacks. Clayborn has no sacks this year, but he’s definitely tough to block, generating a lot of attention.

How will the Bucs defense make up for this loss? Well, temporarily, they signed DE Jeff Charleston. But for the long term, they have a better option. It’s one that I almost forgot about until I started asking around while the Cowboys played the Bucs Sunday.

Did you know the plan is for DE Da’Quan Bowers to return this year? And that it may happen by the end of October? Don’t blame yourself if you didn’t. I kinda overlooked him, too.

The ex-Clemson star, whose stock slipped from being a first-rounder to being a second-rounder because of concerns about his knee last draft, tore his Achilles in May. The Bucs put him on the Physically Unable to Perform list, just on the possibility that he could return. And, I’m told, rehab is going extremely well. So well, in fact, that the Bucs are expecting he’ll be back in 2012.

Instead of tearing the Achilles and having it completely explode off the bone like often happens, I’m told Bowers’ simply tore off the heel bone. That has quickened rehab dramatically. Bowers is working like crazy to return, and he told reporters that he’ll do what the team asks in terms of being activated.

“It’s up to coach (Greg) Schiano and (GM) Mark Dominik at the end of the day,“ Bowers told reporters, including the Tampa Bay Times. ”We’ll see what they decide, and if they think they can put me in. If they feel like they want to save me, I’m fine with that either way.”

The trade deadline was moved back this year, all the way to Oct. 30. The Bucs may have been looking for D-line help, and they still may. But getting back a guy like Bowers, the 6-foot-4, 277-pound pass-rusher, would be like trading for a starter. Bowers began to show really strong improvement last year, with 1.5 sacks and more than half of his tackles (14 of his 25) in the last four games. He’ll continue the process of improving this year.

When could he return? Maybe against the Vikings or Raiders. Something for the Bucs to anticipate. Now for the next question. What does it mean for Ravens LB Terrell Suggs?

Injecting Bone Marrow Stem Cells help Repair Achilles Tendon Rupture

tripblood

Hall of Famer

« #1 : September 28, 2012, 03:04:07 AM »

Countin on this guy to make it back

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Its so hard for me to sit back on this forum, lookin at a guy on here, holler in\' my name!  When last year i spent more on 5 electric bills from this side of the country to the other, than you made! You\'re talkin to the Rolex wearing, diamond earring wearing, kiss-stealin, WOOOO!, wheelin dealin\', CTS drivin, jet-flyin sonofagun.. And I\'m havin a hard time holding these alligators down! WOOOO!

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #2 : September 28, 2012, 03:33:14 AM »

I just hope they don't bring him in too soon. One more leg injury might mean whatever shot he has to be an elite goes bye bye.

tripblood

Hall of Famer

« #3 : September 28, 2012, 03:33:51 AM »

I just hope they don't bring him in too soon. One more leg injury might mean whatever shot he has to be an elite goes bye bye.

Agree with that... Obviously their judgement is going to be clouded by the need at the position

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Its so hard for me to sit back on this forum, lookin at a guy on here, holler in\' my name!  When last year i spent more on 5 electric bills from this side of the country to the other, than you made! You\'re talkin to the Rolex wearing, diamond earring wearing, kiss-stealin, WOOOO!, wheelin dealin\', CTS drivin, jet-flyin sonofagun.. And I\'m havin a hard time holding these alligators down! WOOOO!

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
« #4 : September 28, 2012, 05:55:32 AM »

And where is the bit about them expecting an acquisition?
That entire article is about them expecting the return of an injured player.

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

« #5 : September 28, 2012, 06:35:42 AM »

The author is clearly baiting the reader with the misleading title.  If Bowers is cleared, the best we'll can expect from him is to be a situational pass rusher.  He won't be in football shape until late season.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #6 : September 28, 2012, 07:33:05 AM »

Can he play the right side effectively ?? He played LE and rotated with Bennett all last year,

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

OneTruth

Pro Bowler

« #7 : September 28, 2012, 09:25:09 AM »

we aren't going to the Super Bowl this year so lets not jeopardize 5-8 solid years for the short term solution.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #8 : September 28, 2012, 09:46:30 AM »

And where is the bit about them expecting an acquisition?
That entire article is about them expecting the return of an injured player.

My thoughts exactly. Title has nothing to do with the article.

Draft Aaron Donald

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #9 : September 28, 2012, 09:50:01 AM »

The author is clearly baiting the reader with the misleading title.

Michael-bot strikes again.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
« #10 : September 28, 2012, 09:56:27 AM »

"If they feel like they want to save me, I’m fine with that either way.”

This tells me he is not ready. If he felt ready to be on the field, I don't think he would have worded his statement like that. Give the guy an extra few months. Take avantage for the rule change that lets you bring a player off IR, and bring him back in December if we're in contention. October is too early for a guy with his injury flags IMO.

BucNCane

Second String
« #11 : September 28, 2012, 10:12:34 AM »

Although it wasn't a good attempt, the title was relating Bowers' return to a trade-style acquisition. Looks like the author meant that instead of signing throw aways, like Jeff Charleston, we are actually getting a quality player back in our lineup. Usually the only way to get a quality player now is to trade for one, hence the trade-like talk.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #12 : September 28, 2012, 01:37:39 PM »

"If they feel like they want to save me, I’m fine with that either way.”

This tells me he is not ready. If he felt ready to be on the field, I don't think he would have worded his statement like that. \

I agree. If he was truly feeling good and confident about getting back on the field this season, he would not have said that.

Draft Aaron Donald

nybuccguy

Pro Bowler
« #13 : September 28, 2012, 01:49:03 PM »

There is some really good injury information in that article on both Bowers and Clayborn. Its good to know that Bowers had a less devastating achilles injury, and that Clayborn only partially tore his ACL. I wonder if they will still replace Clayborns ACL since its only partially torn?

TheQ

Starter

« #14 : September 28, 2012, 02:14:51 PM »

It will depend on what the Bucs season looks like when the end of October comes.
IMO, sit him until next year and let him heal.
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs expect a trade-style acquisition on the defensive line soon… « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools