Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs capitalize on veteran benefit « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : September 28, 2012, 01:47:29 AM »

Bucs capitalize on veteran benefit

September, 27, 2012

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are a team that prides itself on building through the draft. But the Bucs stepped out of character a bit this week by signing veterans Roscoe Parrish and Jeff Charleston.

But these moves were exceptions and came due to necessity. The Bucs needed to add defensive end depth after losing Adrian Clayborn to a season-ending injury, so they went out and signed Charleston. Sammie Stroughter, who was supposed to be the punt returner, got hurt. The Bucs then signed Jordan Shipley, but he had trouble fielding punts and the Bucs released him and went out and signed Parrish.

What’s important to note here is that the Bucs didn’t panic and pay big money for short-term fill-ins. In fact, they invested as little as possible on Parrish and Charleston.

The Bucs took advantage of the veteran minimum salary benefit when signing both players to identical contracts. Officially, Parrish and Charleston signed one-year contracts worth $700,000 and no signing bonus. But subtract the first three game checks and Parrish and Charleston each will earn $576,470 over the rest of the season.

But the Bucs won’t be charged the full amount toward the salary cap. The veteran minimum benefit is designed to help keep veteran players in the league, by making the affordable under the salary cap and it allows their cap figure to be less than their actual salary.

Charleston and Parrish each will count only $444,705 toward this year’s cap.

That leaves the Bucs with $12.8 million (sixth most in the NFL) for this year. They still may have to make more moves this year. But by signing veterans like Charleston and Parrish, they’ve kept a lot of cap room available. That’s significant because the Bucs can carry some of that space over to next year and they already have a lot of money committed toward the 2013 cap.

Carolina is the only other NFC South team with a chance to carry over much money to next year’s cap. The Panthers currently are $5.25 million under this year’s cap. New Orleans is $3.2 million under and Atlanta is $1.15 million under.

tripblood

Hall of Famer

« #1 : September 28, 2012, 03:05:33 AM »

Awesome

I can sleep easy now ::)

This guy...

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #2 : September 28, 2012, 04:04:15 AM »

I do like that the team has money to play with though.

IF freeman isn't who schiano wants, maybe a fa? If he wants a fa cb and cut ties with barber and or talib, they can.

Also, if anyone knows, are they considering the contracts next season, or just this? Because it's my understanding a lot of bucs contracts were frontloaded. Which means they would have a bit more than what we're hearing about now. Anyway, I like that there is still cash to mingle if need be.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #3 : September 28, 2012, 08:45:35 AM »

Who exactly was the team going to pay "big money" to after week 3 of the regular season? The time to spend big money was six months ago.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

« #4 : September 28, 2012, 08:51:24 AM »

I do like that the team has money to play with though.

IF freeman isn't who schiano wants, maybe a fa? If he wants a fa cb and cut ties with barber and or talib, they can.

Also, if anyone knows, are they considering the contracts next season, or just this? Because it's my understanding a lot of bucs contracts were frontloaded. Which means they would have a bit more than what we're hearing about now. Anyway, I like that there is still cash to mingle if need be.

There's no good FA QBs this year.

Flacco isn't leaving Baltimore. The rest are worse than Freeman.

Jason Campbell – CHI
Stephen McGee – DAL
Matt Leinart – HOU
Kerry Collins – IND
Curtis Painter – IND
Matt Moore – MIA
David Garrard – MIA
Tarvaris Jackson – SEA
John Beck – WAS

If we get a QB, it's by trading for one. Or by going in the draft. Personally I'd rather trade a lower pick for a guy with potential to compete against Freeman.

buccaneer4ever

Hall of Famer

« #5 : September 28, 2012, 09:13:05 AM »

If we get a QB, it's by trading for one. Or by going in the draft. Personally I'd rather trade a lower pick for a guy with potential to compete against Freeman.

Any QB we could trade for would be just as good as we have. Our best bet is to hope Freeman gets his head cleared.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs capitalize on veteran benefit « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools