Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pop Warner coaches accused of issuing bounties « previous next »
Page: 1

Jack Rabbit Slim

Hall of Famer

: September 28, 2012, 02:25:02 PM

The coaches, head coach Darren Crawford and assistant coach Richard Bowman, allegedly led their team to an undefeated record in 2011. Now they are being accused by an assistant coach, a parent and multiple players of instructing their team to target specific players on several opposing teams. Tustin Pop Warner league officials have denied a bounty program took place and Crawford admits he told his team to target opposing players, but claims he never said anything about rewarding his players for hurting someone.

Read more here: http://www.yardbarker.com/all_sports/articles/msn/pop_warner_coaches_accused_of_issuing_bounties/11832169

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#1 : September 28, 2012, 03:36:55 PM

lol, theres a bunch of kids that are payed for play. Ive been coaching for a couple years and my kids have been playing/cheerleading a little longer and most parent/coaches offer money rewards for sack, INTs, fumbles, TDs, etc.

Many times, we already know who the opposing teams star player is and they are often the focal of their attack. So it wouldnt be out of place for coaches to say this is who they have to watch out for and try to shut them down. We always encourage our kids to go out there and hit the opposing teams backs as hard as they can early and often in hopes the players shuts down from taking hits.

The fine line there is if a coach actually mentions injuring the other player. We would never think to tell these kids to injure anyone or use any dirty tactics. I would think most every team works in this way. Anyone wanting to win to the point of resorting to stuff like that is missing the whole point of getting these kids on the field. The coaches are volunteers, theres nothing for them to gain from it. Same goes for the kids. Its about having fun and sportsmanship. Its about teaching them the game and how its played.

Real bounties for injuries has no place in sports. Im hoping that this team or any other would never actually suggest to injure someone.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

awitron

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 02, 2012, 05:35:15 PM

I coached youth football last season as an escape from the day job after work and last season only because of **CENSORED** exactly like this.

I coached against other men who taught their players to maliciously injure specific players on other teams and rewarded them for it. I played pop warner myself and never saw an instance like this, but in just a season of coaching unfortunately the best player on my team was targeted quite a bit. It's disgusting and when I was asked to return this season I told them hell no.

These are my concerns about Schiano. He thinks hes the **CENSORED**, when really he is someone who couldn\'t win the Big East once in 10 years.

I said it before and I\'ll say it again, Josh Freeman is the only thing that can save this franchise from this dude. If he doesn\'t adjust his style AND Freeman cant win enough, we\'re going to be wondering who the next coach is going to be in 2 years.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pop Warner coaches accused of issuing bounties « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools