Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: if I'm Shanahan, I'm attacking the Bucs defense like... « previous next »
Page: 1 2

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

: September 29, 2012, 01:56:53 PM

Expect RG3 to attack the bucs D like they did week 1 against the saints. 1 and 2 step drop wr screens, mixed in with runs up the gut and playaction. No huddle fast paced offense where RG3 attacks our edges and goes over top every now and then. I hope our DB's are ready to run...

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

NovaBuc

Starter

#1 : September 29, 2012, 03:07:32 PM

Doubtful.. one of the reasons the strategy worked against the Saints is the Skins' o-line did a good job blocking and even still RJIII took quite a few hits. From listening to the sports radio shows up here in DC this week, they are concerned about our D-line's ability to penetrate against their banged up o-line this week. The Saints were also missing Jabari Greer that game, and the Skins did a good job picking on his replacements, Patrick and Murphy (Murphy was waived after the week two game). The local radio up here is expecting the Skins to look to protect RGIII and help the struggling o-line by bringing in an extra TE or lineman and running the ball and play action.They think our run defense is a bit of an illusion due to the Panthers not looking so great, the Giants not being a great running team lately and the Cowboys possibly having one of the worst offensive lines in the league. Or at least that's the hope anyhow.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#2 : September 29, 2012, 03:52:49 PM

Doubtful.. one of the reasons the strategy worked against the Saints is the Skins' o-line did a good job blocking and even still RJIII took quite a few hits. From listening to the sports radio shows up here in DC this week, they are concerned about our D-line's ability to penetrate against their banged up o-line this week. The Saints were also missing Jabari Greer that game, and the Skins did a good job picking on his replacements, Patrick and Murphy (Murphy was waived after the week two game). The local radio up here is expecting the Skins to look to protect RGIII and help the struggling o-line by bringing in an extra TE or lineman and running the ball and play action.They think our run defense is a bit of an illusion due to the Panthers not looking so great, the Giants not being a great running team lately and the Cowboys possibly having one of the worst offensive lines in the league. Or at least that's the hope anyhow.
The skins oline did not have to block against the saints. RG3 had the ball out in 3 seconds and used a no huddle. Shanahan spread out the saints d and picked his spots to attack. I see some of the same tomorrow against our D.

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

#3 : September 29, 2012, 04:09:35 PM

lol.....

I wish they would throw those one step side passes and screens that they were throwing in that game....Ronde and Eric Wright LOVE those passes. You beat our corners by throwing it deep, and RG3 is really good at that but I don't know if he has the caliber of receivers that can beat us like that. If Garcon was playing I'd say he would go for close to 200 yards receiving again though like he did last year against us. I think RG3 is in for a rude awakening in this matchup....but I do kinda worry about Alfred Morris. We always seem to have trouble with young power backs that there isn't much film on.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#4 : September 29, 2012, 04:14:40 PM

Obviously you have to mix the deep passes with the shallow ones but the point is up tempo, no huddle, spread the D, and use RG3's feet. Not saying they wil be successfully but I cant see them going traditional I-form on us.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#5 : September 29, 2012, 04:33:50 PM

Well it's a good thing that Raheem Morris isn't the head coach or defensive coordinator anymore, because those are our strengths now.

NovaBuc

Starter

#6 : September 29, 2012, 05:04:21 PM

The skins oline did not have to block against the saints. RG3 had the ball out in 3 seconds and used a no huddle. Shanahan spread out the saints d and picked his spots to attack. I see some of the same tomorrow against our D.

Being in the DC area, I saw a good bit of that game. He wasn't getting it out that quick all that often. They opened the game with 6 screen/quick throw type passes but did not do it that often after Garcon's long td on the 7th pass play. But considering the concern about RGIII getting hit so often so far this year (even on the quick passes the Saints were hitting him often), I'd look more for the Skins to see about protecting him this game - especially the way McCoy has been playing. That one hit on Romo last week is definitely in the back of folk's minds up here.

For what it's worth, here are the Skins quick pass/screen plays for the game (including the ones that didn't count due to penalty):

(14:34) (Shotgun) 10-R.Griffin pass short left to 88-P.Garcon to WAS 32 for no gain (24-C.White). Pass -4, YAC 4
 (13:25) (Shotgun) 10-R.Griffin pass short left to 88-P.Garcon to NO 44 for 12 yards (41-R.Harper). Pass -2, YAC 14
 (12:44) (Shotgun) 10-R.Griffin pass short right to 88-P.Garcon to NO 35 for 9 yards (50-C.Lofton; 24-C.White). Pass -2, YAC 11
 (12:00) (Shotgun) 10-R.Griffin pass short left to 11-A.Robinson to NO 30 for 5 yards (41-R.Harper). Pass -3, YAC 8
 (10:03) (Shotgun) 10-R.Griffin pass short left to 16-B.Banks to NO 19 for 6 yards (50-C.Lofton). Pass -5, YAC 11
 (7:52) (Shotgun) 10-R.Griffin pass short left to 29-R.Helu to NO 19 for 3 yards (52-J.Casillas). Pass -4, YAC 7

The ones above are all on the first drive.. here's the rest of the game:

(12:18) (Shotgun) 10-R.Griffin pass short right to 29-R.Helu to NO 5 for 1 yard (41-R.Harper). Pass -4, YAC 5
 (11:36) (Shotgun) 10-R.Griffin pass short right to 89-S.Moss to NO 31 for 1 yard (93-J.Galette). PENALTY on NO-94-C.Jordan, Defensive Offside, 5 yards, enforced at NO 32 - No Play.

There is a five and a six yard pass that weren't touchdowns that might qualify (both caught downfield with 0 YAC), can't find the video on them however. Everything else was a catch made at least ten yards downfield with one Helu catch of 5 yards with YAC of 16 yards where Helu was originally a blocker but after RGIII scrambled to avoid pressure, he hit Helu with the short pass that turned into a nice gain.

Also, they didn't go no-huddle that often (in the entire league the first week the number of no-huddle plays amounted to 14% of all plays with the majority being run by Ryan and Flacco), nor would I expect them to in this game with starters missing on the offensive line and likely at WR.

Heck, don't believe me.. just look at RGIII's highlights from the game:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/0ap1000000060052/Week-1-Robert-Griffin-III-highlights

One quick pass...

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#7 : September 29, 2012, 05:16:55 PM

I think the Skins are going to run all game long.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#8 : September 29, 2012, 05:38:27 PM

I think the bucs will run all day long for about 3 yards a pop.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#9 : September 29, 2012, 05:39:30 PM

I think the bucs will run all day long for about 3 yards a pop.

Make that 2 yards a pop and I agree. 

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#10 : September 29, 2012, 05:41:51 PM

If you take away martins 17 yard run that is what he averaged.  Good point.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#11 : September 29, 2012, 05:42:09 PM

I am worried about their running game though. We can't let them get a lead on us. The reason our defense has worked so well against the run is that we come out to an early lead, and it leaves the opponents one dimensional for the most part.

I had no idea who Alfred Morris was just a few hours ago, but I just finished up watching condensed game film of their past 3 games, and he's a great runner. I would say the best RB I've seen this entire year. It's what I expected Doug Martin to be like.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#12 : September 29, 2012, 06:40:58 PM

I think the Redskins will effectively run the ball all day which their zone blocking. That scheme is all about moving the lines from side to side to open a hole, then one cut and gone. If the defense isn't patient and over runs a play, that Alfred Morris kid is off the races. It could we a huge day on the ground verse our young aggressive defense.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#13 : September 29, 2012, 06:59:27 PM

It depends on what they think the bucs will do.

If they let freeman air it out, because of last games outcome offensively, the skins have to watch vj closely.

If its the same offense, just stack the line and hope Sullivan never chooses to call a pass play like he normally does.

Personally, I believe the bucs higher ups are already sick of what is going on with the offense. An the only way to cure that is to use that fa pickup in vj and make sure that freeman attacks the defense throughout the game as he does the endings. The skins will stack the box, so ultimately jf has to have a average to better game, which I think he will. Especially because they'll watch the run closer in the first half.
: September 29, 2012, 07:01:59 PM Benchwarmer#1

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#14 : September 29, 2012, 09:30:58 PM

I think the Redskins will effectively run the ball all day which their zone blocking. That scheme is all about moving the lines from side to side to open a hole, then one cut and gone. If the defense isn't patient and over runs a play, that Alfred Morris kid is off the races. It could we a huge day on the ground verse our young aggressive defense.
I'm not worried about their run game. Starting with McCoy and ending with Barron, the bucs D plays the run very well. I'm more concerned about our offense struggling against their D. There isn't any reason our O can't score on their D.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: if I'm Shanahan, I'm attacking the Bucs defense like... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools