Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Blount > D.J. Ware > Martin « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7

Ms Elam

Starter

#90 : November 19, 2012, 08:24:46 AM

I don't want Martin to have a short career or less effective career from being over used, so I hope we draft a good #2 RB this year. (I assume Blount will be trade or released) But I am not too worried about this year. Doug just seems like the type of guy who can handle the load. His running style avoids a lot of unnecessary damage and he is just built for it. Anyone can get hurt at anytime, but I'm convinced Doug chances of injury aren't much higher this year whether he is getting 18 carries a game or 26 carries a game.

As far as next year, I think we should target another back similar to Doug in the later rounds. We aren't going to find another Martin, but we can get another similar back that can fill in effectively for 5-10 snaps per game. Short, thick, compact, great balance and vision. I haven't much time to watch college football this year, but there are always solid backs in the mid and late rounds. Guys like Monte Ball and Dennis Johnson.

Bottomline, I think we can get through the last six games giving Doug all the touches, but we need to find a viable option next season. We don't need to MJD the kid and have him carry the ball 300+ times every year. He is on pace for 315 carries and 43 receptions this year.
I think you and everybody else are having flashbacks of Caddy. If you look at guys like MJD and Ray Rice, they can handle all these touches. Doug Martin had that build. These compact runners avoid the big collisions, except for when they decide to bring it to the defender. Sure the kid is getting a ton of touches but how many times has he been blown up? How many times has he been slow to get up? His body type along with his style of play can handle 300 plus touches every year. Remember her is aRB if you can squeeze 8 thousand yard seasons out of him, then it was worth it. These next two or three seasons he will be the best he ever will be...... No need to take opportunities away from him hoping he can last 10 years.

BucFanHudson31

Starter

#91 : November 19, 2012, 08:29:30 AM

Hey guys!!   LGB  needs to stay as far away from the football as possible...Unless we are up by 30,

Freeman has improved and I was wrong about him.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#92 : November 19, 2012, 08:55:58 AM

Ms Elam, I agree he can handle 300 touches every year. Like 250ish rush and 50ish pass. But this year he is on pace for 360 touches. That's too much. If we do that every year he'll have a short career. I think in the future we can get him even more involved in the passing game and give some more of the rushing attempts to a quality #2. Ala Brian Westbrook.

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
#93 : November 19, 2012, 08:59:55 AM

I'm not really coming here for crow because I never said Martin sucked I just thought Blount was better. Boy was I wrong about that. The order is the exact opposite of the thread title at this point.

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#94 : November 19, 2012, 10:36:04 AM

Always knew bft was a stupid **CENSORED**.

Me too... It's funny because I know he seen this thread got bumped, but ignores it because he looks like the dipsh*t he is...
Remember when your nick was TebowForcedTrauma? LMAO

No I completely forgot about that... Sarcasm over... What does that have to do with this thread? Back on topic...

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#95 : November 19, 2012, 10:37:16 AM

Because you calling someone else a dip$hit is the definition of irony.

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#96 : November 19, 2012, 10:39:58 AM

Because you calling someone else a dip$hit is the definition of irony.

I am dipsh*t for being a fan of someone that has shown he can win in the playoffs? Hmm maybe I need to go look up the definition again.

Ms Elam

Starter

#97 : November 19, 2012, 10:42:31 AM

Ms Elam, I agree he can handle 300 touches every year. Like 250ish rush and 50ish pass. But this year he is on pace for 360 touches. That's too much. If we do that every year he'll have a short career. I think in the future we can get him even more involved in the passing game and give some more of the rushing attempts to a quality #2. Ala Brian Westbrook.
Sounds reasonable. Alls I know is if we taking the ball out of Martins hands. Them that person better be able to generate some plays because Martin is a big play waiting to happen.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#98 : November 19, 2012, 10:27:01 PM

Even if the offense gets better , Martin still is the size of a hobbit . How is he going to fix that  ?  You're not in the Mountain West anymore Hamster , and your muscles dont look that big.

i think with a few years in a NFL strength and conditioning program he might get to a point thats adequate for NFL standards.

lolz

Page: 1 ... 5 6 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Blount > D.J. Ware > Martin « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools