Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Track star apologizes, for insensitive tweet directed at Eric LeGrand « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: October 03, 2012, 01:00:01 AM

Lolo Jones apologizes for insensitive tweet directed at Eric LeGrand

.By Kristian Dyer | Shutdown Corner   12 minutes ago.. .

YahooSports

RSS

(Getty Images)
An innocent tweet by former Rutgers defensive lineman Eric LeGrand at Olympic sprinter Lolo Jones has resulted in a Twitter backlash against Jones.

LeGrand, who suffered a spinal injury in a game against Army on Oct. 16, 2010 which left him paralyzed from the neck down, frequently uses Twitter to engage with fans and other athletes. On Tuesday night he tweeted

"@lolojones want to race me?" to which Jones responded "Get Checked for a concussion. Clearly, u've been hit in the head... Cos u arnt beating a track athlete."

Later on, Jones seemed to have realized that LeGrand, currently in a wheelchair as he continues his quest to walk again, is world famous as a motivational speaker and author. She backed off her comments when she learned of his injury by typing that "No, dnt know. sry dont know every football player. He challenged me 2 a race & I responded."

Jones further clarified her thoughts to Yahoo! Sports.

(Getty Images)

"I'm truly sorry if I offended anyone by my tweet," Jones said. "When Eric challenged me to a race earlier all I knew was that he was a football player, but certainly had no idea he had become paralyzed from a football injury. I thought I was tweeting in good fun like I always do with the many athletes who challenge me to races."

This past summer before the Olympics, Jones made headlines for tweeting at Jets quarterback Tim Tebow. She, like Tebow, is a self-proclaimed virgin and a born-again Christian.

When reached by Yahoo!Sports, LeGrand declined comment. He did tweet at Jones "didnt take it personal,understand where ur coming from. All good."

Last year, LeGrand was on the cover of Sports Illustrated as his return to the football field at Rutgers' High Point Solutions Stadium was named the "Moment of the Year." In July, he was given the Jimmy V Perseverance Award at the ESPYs. This past spring, following what would have been the conclusion of his senior season when he would have been eligible for the NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers signed LeGrand to a NFL contract. The Buccaneers are coached by LeGrand's former head coach, Greg Schiano.

"I really appreciate that Eric understands my mistake and acknowledges that there was no ill will intended," Jones said. "I've become familiar with his story tonight and he is certainly an inspiration to so many people, which I really admire."

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 03, 2012, 01:04:39 AM

Legrand, and most of the people here, at 100%, aren't beating that chick on the track.

Seriously though, foot-in-mouth disease is 100 times worse on the net.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer
#2 : October 03, 2012, 01:06:32 AM

Those Joe Biden moves are awkward.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 03, 2012, 01:09:25 AM

Those Joe Biden moves are awkward.

Potatoe IS spelled with and e if you own up to it!

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#4 : October 03, 2012, 02:44:45 AM

Gotta cut her some slack, a 30 year old virgin is bound to be a little "edgy".

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#5 : October 03, 2012, 03:14:26 AM

How is this even an issue?    LeGrand started it with his comment!    If he's going to talk trash, he needs to expect to be trash talked back.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 03, 2012, 07:56:30 AM

How is this even an issue?    LeGrand started it with his comment!    If he's going to talk trash, he needs to expect to be trash talked back.

He? ..Where does it state that HE complained? You're making it sound like he talked smack, then whined about it. Real man you are.

Most likely someone saw the tweet, retweeted, and the rest is news. If anything, he accepted the apology gracefully and never forced her to say anything in the first place.

I have to say, you're about as lowlife as they come. No heart whatsoever.
: October 03, 2012, 07:59:04 AM Benchwarmer#1

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#7 : October 03, 2012, 08:13:49 AM

I read she dates online and remaining a virgin is the toughest thing she has ever had to do.  I'm a married man but maybe you should propose to her on twitter.  Definitely bangable.  http://www.nowpublic.com/sports/lolo-jones-semi-nude-photo-espn-body-issue-2009

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 03, 2012, 08:26:35 AM

This is what twitter is good for. Making yourself look like a moron. She didn't know Eric so I'm not going to fault her to much but that is exactly the point, most people don't know 99% of the people they interact with on twitter. They don't know their motivations, background, or what they are trying to do.

I think the same about twitter as I do facebook, more bad than good can come out of it. A spot to air dirty laundry that probably shouldn't be aired and will probably regretted soon after.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#9 : October 03, 2012, 08:29:37 AM

Having never heard of her before  I read about her on wiki.  She has had a hard life herself.  Interesting read.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#10 : October 03, 2012, 08:30:16 AM

This is what twitter is good for. Making yourself look like a moron.

ask Ahmad Black about that

youngone

Hall of Famer
#11 : October 03, 2012, 10:52:14 AM

I'm willing to fix that problem for her.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#12 : October 03, 2012, 11:31:11 AM

I'm willing to fix that problem for her.

As would I

-------------------------------------------------------

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#13 : October 03, 2012, 11:43:23 AM

Not a baller.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

meekerbeastman

Second String

#14 : October 03, 2012, 12:26:56 PM

shes only a vigin because she can run faster than rothlesberger
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Track star apologizes, for insensitive tweet directed at Eric LeGrand « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools