Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Perspective on current state of the franchise « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

YReceiver14

Starter

« : October 04, 2012, 09:12:44 PM »

Franchise Observations at the Bye:

Offense

->It should be noted that Sullivan is in his 4th game as OC, and has not been completely terrible.  He does tend to get "too cute" at times, often at the expense of game management. 
Prediction for the future: If Sullivan's playcalling gets somehow worse, Schiano won't hesitate to replace him (is McNulty's contract up yet?).  A more likely scenario is he grows enough on the job to buy himself another year.

->Freeman is by far the most frustrating part of every week. 
1) He flashes elite ability every once in a while. 
2) The excuse that he is learning a new offense is valid, BUT...
3) In his 4th year, he is still failing to consistently do small things (clean footwork, ball placement, situational understanding) that are offense independent.

For me, the third one is very troubling.  I've been a Freeman supporter and hope he one day puts it all together, but the clock is ticking...
Prediction for the future: Honestly, the team gains nothing by replacing Freeman with Orlovsky this year.  If Freeman is completely unredeamable, then the team would be forced to replace him.  However, he has one more year on his contract and will likely not completely tank, buying him one more year.  Helping his cause is the upcoming QB draft class, which IMO is quantity over quality:

Barkley - Not worth the position it would take to get him.  He's a 16-32 pick QB who may go #1.
Geno Smith - No way.  Watch him on TV and then tell me if you think he's not a system QB.  Colt Brennan shakes his head at Geno Smith.
Tyler Wilson - OK, I do think he's actually good.  Not an elite arm, but definitely NFL-caliber, is accurate, tough, and makes good decisions.  If we are taking a QB this year, he'd be my pick.
Tyler Bray - As an SEC fan, I can say... very immature.  If there was a guy in this class who could "Ryan Leaf" himself out of the league, its Bray.
EJ Manuel - He's not as bad as people make him out to be, but is it worth it to trade Freeman's inconsistency for his?
Logan Thomas - Better than Geno Smith, still not that good.
Landry Jones - Awful.  I thought he looked good when he took over for Bradford, but it seems he's completely regressed, and they are handling him with kid gloves in his redshirt senior season.

->Doug Martin is not as bad as people are making him out to be, but its clear he would benefit from being in a timeshare.  Furthermore, its interesting that they insist on running plays where the OL doubles down on the DL and leaves the linebackers clear shots on the back.  This ensures that the play has less of a chance of being TFL, but more of a chance of being stopped after 2-3 yards.  This is in contrast with, say, the Giants, where we say replays of their OL double teaming our DL, but the one guy peeling after stopping the DL's progress to get to the next level and attack the nearest linebacker.  Schiano's comments today at the press conference (something to the effect that the RB's need to deal with the guys they are leaving unblocked) suggests this style will continue, perhaps to Blount's benefit.

Defense

->The linebackers (at least 2 of them) have quickly become a strength of the defense.  David is playing fast, and Foster (who I was not opposed to moving over to SAM in the offseason) looks very comfortable and plays like a completely different player.  QB is still invisible, but what's new...

->I love watching Barron play.  That is all.

->Eric Wright is very good at shadowing WRs, but if the QB decides to throw it to the WR anyways, shows terrible ball skills.  Strange as shadowing WRs is usually a rarer skill.

Prediction for the future: I think Sheridan stays on for at least a few more years as the defense continues to improve.  Those that are crying about the silly blitzes or pass plays being completed are forgetting the abomination that was our defense last year.

Overall

->Coach Schiano is doing a good job so far, in my opinion.  There aren't many teams in the league that can say they've been in all 4 games, and we are one of them.  His one blemish was starting this V-formation crap, which IMO was not and is not worth the trouble it brought/brings the team.  Otherwise, I am feeling good about the direction of the team.  Even if we ended up 1-15, if we continue to look competitive, he'll be back next season. 

Final word: When my wife can call me out when I'm **CENSORED**ing about a loss and point out that if it were last year, the score would have been 42-9, it puts things in perspective (thus the reason for this post).  The team has improved a lot since last season, just not faster than the increase in our expectations.  That's a testament to the job they've all done.  We'll see where we go from here.

Prediction: 7-9

“Before you can be labeled elite, you’ve got to get a lot closer to having rings.”  --Josh Freeman, May 2012

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #1 : October 04, 2012, 10:02:26 PM »

Furthermore, its interesting that they insist on running plays where the OL doubles down on the DL and leaves the linebackers clear shots on the back.  This ensures that the play has less of a chance of being TFL, but more of a chance of being stopped after 2-3 yards.  This is in contrast with, say, the Giants, where we say replays of their OL double teaming our DL, but the one guy peeling after stopping the DL's progress to get to the next level and attack the nearest linebacker.  Schiano's comments today at the press conference (something to the effect that the RB's need to deal with the guys they are leaving unblocked) suggests this style will continue, perhaps to Blount's benefit.
I'm glad other people are noticing this, as Bucjoe and I discussed it in another thread a week or two ago. I watched slow mo replays of every snap the first team offensive line played in the second and third preseason games and laid out all the blocking assignments. The number of times an offensive lineman even touched a linebacker was almost zero. There was an extraordinary amount of double teaming defensive linemen. When I watch other teams, this isn't what I see. Some teams just brush the defensive linemen and then explode into the second level looking for smaller defenders to block. And it's not just this year. My thought is it's been this way for a while.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Knucknbuc

Pro Bowler

« #2 : October 04, 2012, 10:20:02 PM »

Furthermore, its interesting that they insist on running plays where the OL doubles down on the DL and leaves the linebackers clear shots on the back.  This ensures that the play has less of a chance of being TFL, but more of a chance of being stopped after 2-3 yards.  This is in contrast with, say, the Giants, where we say replays of their OL double teaming our DL, but the one guy peeling after stopping the DL's progress to get to the next level and attack the nearest linebacker.  Schiano's comments today at the press conference (something to the effect that the RB's need to deal with the guys they are leaving unblocked) suggests this style will continue, perhaps to Blount's benefit.
I'm glad other people are noticing this, as Bucjoe and I discussed it in another thread a week or two ago. I watched slow mo replays of every snap the first team offensive line played in the second and third preseason games and laid out all the blocking assignments. The number of times an offensive lineman even touched a linebacker was almost zero. There was an extraordinary amount of double teaming defensive linemen. When I watch other teams, this isn't what I see. Some teams just brush the defensive linemen and then explode into the second level looking for smaller defenders to block. And it's not just this year. My thought is it's been this way for a while.

Just another reason in my mind why LGB should be starting over shoelace martin.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

« #3 : October 04, 2012, 10:23:51 PM »

There's a truth about the NFL that's hard to admit for both fans and the people involved... you'll never hear a coach say this, but not all losses are created equally.  In an age of cliched dismissives like, "You are what your record says you are," and, "There's no such thing as a pretty win," we forget that the 2012 Buccaneers -- though flawed -- have been competitive.

Losses suck, but remember... progress is usually made in stages.  You're not going to turn Raheem's band of 2011 quitters into a playoff powerhouse in a single year.  Close losses, though bitter, should be a sign of encouragement.  They show tracks of improvement, provided that Schiano and company keep moving in the right direction.

Great analysis, YReceiver14.  I really enjoyed reading that.

SCOUT

Starter

« #4 : October 04, 2012, 10:28:48 PM »

Great post.  I love our new linebacker and our rookie safety. Both are ballers.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #5 : October 04, 2012, 10:35:43 PM »

There's a truth about the NFL that's hard to admit for both fans and the people involved... you'll never hear a coach say this, but not all losses are created equally.  In an age of cliched dismissives like, "You are what your record says you are," and, "There's no such thing as a pretty win," we forget that the 2012 Buccaneers -- though flawed -- have been competitive.

Losses suck, but remember... progress is usually made in stages.  You're not going to turn Raheem's band of 2011 quitters into a playoff powerhouse in a single year.  Close losses, though bitter, should be a sign of encouragement.  They show tracks of improvement, provided that Schiano and company keep moving in the right direction.

Agree totally!

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #6 : October 05, 2012, 11:04:03 AM »

Good OP and I too agree wholeheartedly with Blaze.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

bucinsouthFL

Starter

« #7 : October 05, 2012, 11:21:21 AM »

I agree 100% with everything you said. It's also worth nothing that Vincent Jackson has been worth every penny and Mike Williams is making progress also.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #8 : October 05, 2012, 02:18:56 PM »

I agree about Tyler Wilson. He would be my pick as well. I had thought that Landry Jones would revert back to his 2010 year...but he has royally stunk.

The Freeman experiment is over after this season, IMO. Hope a suitable replacement is available.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #9 : October 05, 2012, 02:26:38 PM »

I agree about Tyler Wilson. He would be my pick as well. I had thought that Landry Jones would revert back to his 2010 year...but he has royally stunk.

The Freeman experiment is over after this season, IMO. Hope a suitable replacement is available.

I sure hope not because I want him to get better but if he doesnt turn it around then Im right there with you.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #10 : October 05, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »

Agree totally!
Yeah, count me on board with this perspective as well. Note that last year, while we beat two good teams early, you'd have to say we were a BAD 4-12. There weren't many games we were competitive in in the last 10 and our defense was historically bad. I'm sticking by 6-10 and if that means competitive in almost every game, we get the best of both worlds. Replacing the QB, however, remains a troublesome issue. That alone could keep us from going where we want to go.

In Verner We Trust

Naismith

Hall of Famer
« #11 : October 05, 2012, 03:05:44 PM »

Freeman isn't going anywhere this year or next year. The offense in week eight and twelve and seventeen needs to look better than in week four, though, for the fans to feel comfortable with him as the long term solution. The offense as a whole, Freeman included, is clearly a work in progress.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #12 : October 05, 2012, 03:10:40 PM »

Freeman isn't going anywhere this year or next year. The offense in week eight and twelve and seventeen needs to look better than in week four, though, for the fans to feel comfortable with him as the long term solution. The offense as a whole, Freeman included, is clearly a work in progress.

I was happy to read that during the bye they were picking out the plays where Josh felt the most comfortable with and the ones he had success with. Im hoping they have made some adjustments to their game plans that will favor Josh from now on. If that happens we could see more second half Freeman than first half Freeman. I dont want to get too optimistic but theres always that possibility.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #13 : October 05, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »

Agree about this year....and I expect to have a top 15 pick because of it. If he continues to play bad and isn't replaced in the offseason...then we are setting out the welcome mat for another season of double-digit losses.

Freeman is a work in regress. Has been since 2010 ended.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #14 : October 05, 2012, 03:32:07 PM »

Agree about this year....and I expect to have a top 15 pick because of it.  If he continues to play bad and isn't replaced in the offseason...then we are setting out the welcome mat for another season of double-digit losses.

Freeman is a work in regress. Has been since 2010 ended.

Hey you know what. If thats the case then you got yourself set up for a QB next year. Its supposedly a better QB year anyways. The Colts got their QB by being a crappy team. Maybe thats the way to getting a QB these days. I say if Freeman is the ticket to getting a great QB. Go for it. Let 5 play!!
« : October 05, 2012, 03:33:45 PM BucBalla85 »
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Perspective on current state of the franchise « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools