Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Roy Miller getting ready to welcome his college roommate. « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : October 09, 2012, 01:08:40 AM »

Bucs notes: Defense preparing to face NFL's top rusher

2008, CLIFF MCBRIDE/STAFF
Chiefs RB Jamaal Charles is the league's top rusher with 551 yards, averaging a gaudy 5.4 yards per carry.

By IRA KAUFMAN | The Tampa Tribune
Published: October 08, 2012

TAMPA --

Armed with the NFL's No. 4 rushing defense, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are bracing for the arrival of Jamaal Charles.

Although the error-prone Chiefs are off to a 1-4 start, Charles is the league's top rusher with 551 yards, averaging a gaudy 5.4 yards per carry. He also leads all players in most yards from scrimmage (669) and only the 49ers have rushed for more yards than Kansas City.

"Jamaal was my roommate in college and he's doing something special,'' said Bucs defensive tackle Roy Miller, who played at Texas. "I've never seen a running back quite like him. His body is almost parallel to the ground when he turns the corner and if you don't catch up to him early, he's going to hit a home run.''

Charles, a third-round draft choice in 2008, has made a full recovery from a torn ACL that sidelined him for the final 14 games last season. In 2010, his average of 6.38 yards per carry ranked second all-time to Hall of Fame running back Jim Brown, who averaged 6.4 yards in 1963.

"He's (Charles) an extraordinary football player,'' Bucs head coach Greg Schiano said. "He's got that something special.''

Charles gained 140 yards in 30 carries during Sunday's 9-6 loss to Baltimore as the Chiefs committed four more turnovers to give them an NFL-leading 19 giveaways through five weeks. Kansas City's minus-15 turnover differential has undermined a club that is outgaining opponents by an average of 74 yards per game.

"You've got to give Charles a lot of credit for coming all the way back from his knee injury,'' said Bucs defensive end Michael Bennett. "He probably went from a 4.3 to a 4.4.''

After a bye week, the Bucs returned to practice Monday and began preparations for Sunday's home matchup against the Chiefs, who have been outscored 44-6 in the opening quarter.

Ready to go

After a bye week, the Bucs returned to practice Monday and began preparations for Sunday's home matchup against the Chiefs, who have been outscored 44-6 in the opening quarter.

"I'm a little recharged,'' Pro Bowl G Carl Nicks said. "The rest definitely helped. I wish it was longer, but it's good to be back to football. I don't think we've played near our potential. Although we're 1-3, and that's not a good record to have, it's encouraging to know we can battle with any team in the NFL.''

With three losses by a total of 15 points, the Bucs know they've been in every game.

"Our job is to not make 'em close at the end,'' Bucs CB Aqib Talib said. "That might work for us. That's the plan right there.''

Injury update

Bucs S Eric Wright, who suffered a head injury in the 24-22 loss to Washington on Sept. 30, practiced Monday and is expected to play against KC. Backup RT Jeremy Trueblood, who may be shifted to right guard in place of struggling Ted Larsen, was sidelined by a stomach virus, according to Schiano.

"We'll probably evaluate (right guard) tomorrow and try to lock into something by Wednesday,'' Schiano said. "That's a position that's been up in the air.''

Extra points

The bumbling Chiefs are on pace to turn the ball over 61 times, which would be four giveaways short of the all-time record set by the 1961 Denver Broncos of the American Football League. …Chiefs OLB Justin Houston, a second-year player out of Georgia, is tied for third in the NFL with six sacks. …The Bucs lead all NFC defenses in third-down efficiency, allowing a 28.0 percent conversion rate. …Ex-Gator standout safety Ahmad Black was strutting around Tampa Bay's locker room Monday, basking in the glory of Florida's 14-6 victory against LSU while calling out any former FSU player in sight.

Ira Kaufman

McCoy93

Starter

« #1 : October 09, 2012, 01:29:11 AM »

i wanted the bucs to draft back in 08. just in case carnell never recovered

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #2 : October 09, 2012, 01:37:32 AM »

It's too bad the Bucs picked WR Dexter Jackson that year with Charles still on the board.   Gruden never should have listened to Raheem's recommendation to pick Jackson.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

« #3 : October 09, 2012, 01:39:22 AM »

It's too bad the Bucs picked WR Dexter Jackson that year with Charles still on the board.   Gruden never should have listened to Raheem's recommendation to pick Jackson.

Yes, because the DB coach convinced the HC to draft a WR.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

« #4 : October 09, 2012, 01:47:55 AM »

Didn't Gruden want a QB but was over ruled?

I read that Gruden was lobbying for Jamaal Charles.   

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

« #5 : October 09, 2012, 01:55:03 AM »

I don't have a link to confirm that.   I just heard it.   But I've also heard that where there's smoke, there's fire.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #6 : October 09, 2012, 10:35:11 AM »

I was hoping we'd get DeSean Jackson that year. I literally said "WTH is that" when we picked Dexter.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

« #7 : October 09, 2012, 10:39:41 AM »

I read somewhere that you only said it figuratively.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #8 : October 09, 2012, 10:41:47 AM »

I read somewhere that you only said it figuratively.

link?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

« #9 : October 09, 2012, 10:44:51 AM »

Lol. "WTH" actually is a figurative expression, not a literal one.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #10 : October 09, 2012, 01:11:22 PM »

As long as his "welcome" is body slamming Charles to the grass Sunday for a TFL,  I am good with it.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #11 : October 09, 2012, 01:26:50 PM »

It's too bad the Bucs picked WR Dexter Jackson that year with Charles still on the board.   Gruden may still have his job.

True
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Roy Miller getting ready to welcome his college roommate. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools