Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jaws and Cosell.......Josh Freeman 'Teases You' « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: October 11, 2012, 01:05:15 AM

Josh Freeman 'Teases You'

Greg Cosell and Ron Jaworski on the Tampa Bay Quarterback

By Sander Philipse on Oct 10, 12:01p

Al Messerschmidt - Getty Images

Greg Cosell and Ron Jaworski talked about Josh Freeman in sometimes glowing, but more often scathing tones. Will Freeman get it at any point in his career?

Josh Freeman has been the talk of the town the past weeks. His inconsistent play has been maddening, and his inaccuracy and failure to throw the ball down the field have led many Tampa Bay Buccaneers fans to write him off. Yet it's been my view that it's much too early to do that, as Freeman has shown enough throughout his career to be confident that he can bounce back.

In his quarterback rankings, Ron Jaworski noted the same problem (behind a pay wall). Freeman just isn't there yet as a quarterback, and his play so far this year has been unacceptable. But he does have talent, and it may just be a matter of time before he takes the next step.

Freeman's drop is a product of inconsistency. At times, my guys in the film room and I will see him make a throw that just wows you. Other times, you wonder where the heck he was trying to throw the ball at all. Sometimes we want to elevate a guy to Canton before he's ready, and that could be the case with Freeman. The physical talent is all there and I think it's just a matter of time before it comes together, but he has to eliminate those head-scratchers.

Similarly, Greg Cosell noted in last week's film notes at Fantasy Guru (also behind a pay wall) that Freeman seemed 'more aware and less frenetic' - yet is 'still struggling with timing on intermediate throws', 'struggling with ball location', possibly 'guessing re: reading coverage', 'struggling with recognition and reads' - and yet he's still an incredibly talented passer who 'teases you'.

The question isn't whether Josh Freeman can do all the things required of a quarterback. The question is whether he can do them consistently, and whether we can trust that he'll improve. I think we saw some improvement last game, but he's far from good enough at this point. Is it time to say goodbye to Freeman if he doesn't improve by season's end, or does he deserve more time to develop? Keep in mind that no quarterback is a finished product in his fourth year in the league, especially so at age 24, and many quarterbacks have gone on to do significantly better in later seasons. Yet many others have simply busted out after four (or fewer) poor seasons. Where will Freeman fall?

http://www.bucsnation.com/2012/10/10/3482786/josh-freeman-teases-you-greg-cosell-and-ron-jaworski-on-the-tampa-bay

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 11, 2012, 03:09:39 AM

That's actually probably one of the  fairest, most accurate assessments I've read about Freeman. I can't help but feel I am reliving the Dilfer era when I watch the guy but then I stop and think that the kid is only 24 and already on his 3rd totally different offensive scheme and OC and then I think about how crappy Eli Manning looked his first 4 years and it gives me an ounce more patience with the guy.....just an ounce.

Wesmon

Second String

#2 : October 11, 2012, 05:41:44 AM

Dilfer might be an accurate comparison as he always had the arm but never the intelligence to make reads and go through his progressions. I hope I am wrong.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 11, 2012, 07:03:10 AM

Even if Freeman still stunk at reading a defense, this would be a much better team if he could improve his ball location on short and intermediate throws. Let guys get in a position to get YAC.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#4 : October 11, 2012, 07:20:00 AM

Aaron Brooks 2.0

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#5 : October 11, 2012, 07:26:07 AM

Lol. Another (Freeman = Eli) sighting.

Aaron Brooks 2.0

Yup...but definietely not an upgraded version.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 11, 2012, 09:30:26 AM

As long as this team has poor offensive management, Freeman will never produce in Tampa.  I said it under Morris and I've said it with Schiano, if you can't get a strong offensive minded coach and gameplan, no QB will succeed here.  Freeman needs a better coach than what he's had.  Look at the leaps and bounds that Alex Smith has made in just 14 months with Harbaugh.  If the Eagles fire Reid, the Bucs should fire Schiano and hire Reid... Freeman will be a top 5 QB under Andy Reid.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#7 : October 11, 2012, 09:46:29 AM

I'm tired of people citing how old Josh Freeman is. He's 24. Lovely. There are a million guys out there who are 24 who will never be great quarterbacks. And unfortunately it appears as if Josh is one of them.

In Verner We Trust

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 11, 2012, 09:56:08 AM

I'm tired of people citing how old Josh Freeman is. He's 24. Lovely. There are a million guys out there who are 24 who will never be great quarterbacks. And unfortunately it appears as if Josh is one of them.

^This.^

All Day.

There will always be excuses for the guy. Next year..."Freeman is only 25...give him time"
then..
..."Freeman is just 26, Eli didn't peak until around that age.."
then..
..."27 years old, that's young..Freeman can still pull it together"

BS.
: October 11, 2012, 10:00:13 AM chace1986

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#9 : October 11, 2012, 09:58:28 AM

I want to see him put up a monster game.  An absolute beast mode game.

Been waiting for a while now.

After this many years, it comes to the point where I eval his entire body of work, and despite circumstances, have to assume the problem lies within him, and he simply will never be a guy the Bucs can rely on for consistent, entertaining football.  Vast portions of time watching Freeman guide the offense is a long groan.  He is what he is.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#10 : October 11, 2012, 10:05:52 AM

Finky, by the Dallas game I reached that conclusion too. It's not just about mechanics or stats or supporting cast or maturity; the great ones have intuition, timing, poise. Two years ago, we thought we saw that. It has disappeared the last 20 games and the question must be raised whether it will ever return. Can it return? Our hope doesn't like with guys like Eli, but rather Jim Plunkett. Stud on verge of stardom with Pats, faded, then went to SanFran and really faded. Finally in Oakland, he became a winner in his 10th season. But that type of evolution is more the exception than the norm. Jason Campbell, Aaron Brooks, guys like that are more the norm.

In Verner We Trust

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#11 : October 11, 2012, 10:08:46 AM

^This.^

All Day.

There will always be excuses for the guy. Next year..."Freeman is only 25...give him time"
then..
then..

BS.

Relax. Some of us don't need to **CENSORED**in bash him 24 7. We want him to do well. We still have hope he does well. Don't call them excuses. Call them the bit of hope we have that our QB can still be a decent player. We aren't just saying he sucks every post. There's always a possibility that he can turn it around. If you don't believe it don't crap on the people who still have hope.

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#12 : October 11, 2012, 10:10:11 AM

+1 Lets see if he can be another Tampa drafted QB, leaving in his mid to late 20s, and win a SB somewhere else.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#13 : October 11, 2012, 10:15:19 AM

Sometimes I forget how young Josh is. 24 and already in his 3rd offensive system (with his 3rd unproven play caller). I think Freeman and Sullivan deserve a bit more time to workout the "head scratchers" but that's just me.

RogerGoodellSucks

Hall of Famer

#14 : October 11, 2012, 10:16:06 AM

^This.^

All Day.

then..
then..

BS.

Relax. Some of us don't need to **CENSORED**in bash him 24 7. We want him to do well. We still have hope he does well. Don't call them excuses. Call them the bit of hope we have that our QB can still be a decent player. We aren't just saying he sucks every post. There's always a possibility that he can turn it around. If you don't believe it don't crap on the people who still have hope.

This.

Chace and a few other people who haven't made a post other than saying Freeman sucks for the past week or so have gotten old really quick.

Just do us all a favor and stop watching the team until next year (when we actually know if Freeman is our guy or not) so we don't have to read your idiotic posts filling up the boards.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jaws and Cosell.......Josh Freeman 'Teases You' « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools