Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Has Gerald surpassed Suh as the better player? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: October 12, 2012, 12:56:39 AM

NFL GM: Ndamukong Suh belongs on 'All-Hype' team

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League editor     NFL.com
Published:  Oct. 10, 2012 at 06:50 p.m.

A 1-3 start for the Detroit Lions has brought out the critics. An anonymous general manager and other "league executives" ripped Detroit's defensive line to shreds in Pro Football Weekly.

"I have listened to the media hype about (Ndamukong) Suh since he got in the league -- what has he done?" one GM asked. "Even the year he had all those garbage sacks, the guy took a million plays off and got pushed around in the run game. I have never thought he was a very good pro player."

We agree that Suh's rookie season was highly overrated. He made a ton of big plays but gave up just as many in the running game. His second year was disappointing, and Suh hasn't been a dominant player this year.

Suh wasn't the only part of the defensive line that drew the anonymous ire.

"They don't have enough good players, and the players they think are good are not that good. Suh belongs on the All-Hype team. (Cliff) Avril is not that good -- put on any game and you can watch him get blocked time and time again. Corey Williams is solid, but nothing that wows you or makes you wonder how you are going to block him. The other guy (Kyle Vanden Bosch) is a try-hard guy getting up in years that does not really threaten you. For as much as people talk about that D-line and all its depth, where are all the players?"

Other than that, the anonymous GMs love the Lions. Including GM Martin Mayhew and coach Jim Schwartz.

"(Mayhew and Schwartz are) both overrated. What has he (Mayhew) really accomplished? Matt (Millen) never said he did a good job -- he was not ready for it. He did not have enough good people around him."

Oh boy. When an anonymous source is using Matt Millen's opinion as a source to prove his point, you know things have gone terribly awry.

The Lions' talent base might be slightly overheated, but the proof of Mayhew and Schwartz's job can be seen in the standings the last three years. They took over an awful situation and made it much better. The comments on the defensive line have some merit, but the attacks on Mayhew especially sound ridiculous. Personal. They eviscerated everyone except the mascot and Jason Hanson.

"That fires me up," Lions center Dominic Raiola told the Detroit Free Press. "If they had any (guts), they would say who they were."

Schwartz dismissed the comments.

"Anonymous? I can't comment on anonymous things," Schwartz said. "Hey, we're 1-3. That's what we are right now. We need to go win. We're judged on winning. We're not judged on popularity contests or what somebody says under the cloak of anonymity."

The Lions' offense has been erratic since last year. The back seven on defense is a problem. Schwartz has bigger issues to worry about, but it's clear the organization hasn't necessarily made friends around the league.

UPDATE: Suh took issue with the general manager not going on the record with his comments, but said he ultimately didn't care.

"I don't really pay attention to it," Suh told USA TODAY Sports. "He's a GM, he's supposed to be knowing what he's talking about, so it's up to you guys' discretion whether he's right or not."

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

tripblood

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 12, 2012, 02:58:33 AM

I would have LOL'd last season at the notion that him and Mccoy are about equal. Now, it doesn't seem so crazy..

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Its so hard for me to sit back on this forum, lookin at a guy on here, holler in\' my name!  When last year i spent more on 5 electric bills from this side of the country to the other, than you made! You\'re talkin to the Rolex wearing, diamond earring wearing, kiss-stealin, WOOOO!, wheelin dealin\', CTS drivin, jet-flyin sonofagun.. And I\'m havin a hard time holding these alligators down! WOOOO!

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#2 : October 12, 2012, 03:11:35 AM

Funny eh? One very pleasant surprise.

In Verner We Trust

McCoy93

Starter

#3 : October 12, 2012, 03:17:31 AM

suh does foolish stuff off the field; i like both suh and mccoy both can be center pieces and i expect suh and mccoy to be candidates to play in hawaii next couple of years

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#4 : October 12, 2012, 03:37:52 AM

There were times last year I thought McCoy was better before he got hurt. 

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#5 : October 12, 2012, 07:23:50 AM

McCoy is a more solid all around player , I think , but Suh has the more pass-rush upside. That will probably always be the case.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 12, 2012, 07:58:40 AM

Suh is still better in my mind only because of his rookie season and the fact that he has actually finished every season.

that being said when mccoy was healthy last year and thus far this year he has definately outplayed Suh. if mccoy continues to play the way he has for an entire season we might be singing a different tune at the end of the year and mccoy might be going to the pro bowl

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#7 : October 12, 2012, 08:01:39 AM

Suh is still better in my mind only because of his rookie season and the fact that he has actually finished every season.

that being said when mccoy was healthy last year and thus far this year he has definately outplayed Suh. if mccoy continues to play the way he has for an entire season we might be singing a different tune at the end of the year and mccoy might be going to the pro bowl

I hope you do not make the same excuses for freeman, when comparing him to stafford.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#8 : October 12, 2012, 08:07:28 AM

I'd still take Suh. Get him out of Detroit and he'd be better.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#9 : October 12, 2012, 08:14:07 AM

By the way.....McCoy is off to his best start ever...and his stats are just equal to Suh's. Suh has 3 sacks too and just as many tackles....but people expect it from Suh.

Maybe we should see if McCoy can play at a high level and stay healthy for a whole season before we start getting crazy ideas about who is better. Suh has played twice as many games, has twice as many sacks and solo tackles. He's still the better player. Until McCoy proves otherwise, he is still a talented injury prone guy that spends most him time on IR.

TBChucky

Pro Bowler
#10 : October 12, 2012, 08:31:34 AM

It would definitely be interesting to hear what opposing offensive lineman would have to say about comparing the two. At least GMC is starting to show he belongs in the conversation with him.

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#11 : October 12, 2012, 08:36:16 AM

The answer to the question is no.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#12 : October 12, 2012, 08:50:26 AM

Suh is so overrated.. Dude had a great rookie year and since then he's been average to slightly about average.. Assuming that McCoy is healthy now he's the better player. Better pass rusher and plays the run way better than Suh does.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#13 : October 12, 2012, 08:56:57 AM

McCoy is a better overall player, and he's not an ahole either.

The thing is that he hasn't had enough highlight plays, so even fans in Tampa wouldn't consider him a great player yet.

bucs4eva

Pro Bowler

#14 : October 12, 2012, 08:57:15 AM

By the way.....McCoy is off to his best start ever...and his stats are just equal to Suh's. Suh has 3 sacks too and just as many tackles....but people expect it from Suh.

Maybe we should see if McCoy can play at a high level and stay healthy for a whole season before we start getting crazy ideas about who is better. Suh has played twice as many games, has twice as many sacks and solo tackles. He's still the better player. Until McCoy proves otherwise, he is still a talented injury prone guy that spends most him time on IR.

McCoy is WAY better than Suh as a run-defender, Suh sucks in the run. McCoy > Suh

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Has Gerald surpassed Suh as the better player? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools