Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Has Gerald surpassed Suh as the better player? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#15 : October 12, 2012, 08:58:39 AM

The gap was never as big as most casual fans thought.  Suh has never played the run well, even when he was racking up sacks.  McCoy has always been good vs. the run.  McCoy has always been good at being disruptive and getting pressure, but he's starting to finish more like the Kong does this season.

Before the draft, I was of the opinion they are both very good players with different strengths and weaknesses.  Nothing has changed that opinion thus far for either player.

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#16 : October 12, 2012, 09:03:45 AM

How many total career games has McCoy played in?

youngone

Hall of Famer
#17 : October 12, 2012, 09:09:04 AM

If that's your argument it's warranted but assuming you have a healthy Suh and a healthy McCoy who would you want?

jbear

Pro Bowler

#18 : October 12, 2012, 09:14:08 AM

By the way.....McCoy is off to his best start ever...and his stats are just equal to Suh's. Suh has 3 sacks too and just as many tackles....but people expect it from Suh.

Maybe we should see if McCoy can play at a high level and stay healthy for a whole season before we start getting crazy ideas about who is better. Suh has played twice as many games, has twice as many sacks and solo tackles. He's still the better player. Until McCoy proves otherwise, he is still a talented injury prone guy that spends most him time on IR.

It's not just numbers... especially the sacks.  McCoy was unblockable in that week one win against the panthers and he's been way more than solid in the other games as well.  He's gotten a lot of presures and blown up a lot of plays that he didn't get the tackle on.  Just watching you can see and I garantee, bet, whatever that our opponents are looking at film and saying "how the heck are we gonna block this guy."  Thats not what they're saying about Suh right now.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#19 : October 12, 2012, 09:16:40 AM

Please just stay healthy and the numbers will take care of themselves.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#20 : October 12, 2012, 09:17:15 AM

I'm not convinced McCoy has been the better player thru these first four games, but that is really what should asked. As far as who has had the better career so far... It's not even close. Can't be better than this anyone when you spend 50% of your time on IR.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#21 : October 12, 2012, 09:22:03 AM

McCoy was the better player through 6 games last year

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#22 : October 12, 2012, 09:27:27 AM

Your spelling is horrible. The guys is called Matthew Stafford. What does this injury prone QB have to do in this thread?

But to answer your question, it's 33 in 4 years.

And in Suhs case, who is just in his 3rd year: why should i care what he did in 2010? Its about what you can do NOW, right?  ;D

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#23 : October 12, 2012, 09:36:10 AM

If that's your argument it's warranted but assuming you have a healthy Suh and a healthy McCoy who would you want?

I'm not basing who I want on potential or projections. If I had to pick right now between Suh and McCoy, I would take Suh he is much more durable and puts up good numbers.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#24 : October 12, 2012, 09:37:29 AM

I'm not convinced McCoy has been the better player thru these first four games, but that is really what should asked. As far as who has had the better career so far... It's not even close. Can't be better than this anyone when you spend 50% of your time on IR.
So Matt Stafford is not better than anybody either?

youngone

Hall of Famer
#25 : October 12, 2012, 09:39:11 AM

I'm not basing who I want on potential or projections. If I had to pick right now between Suh and McCoy, I would take Suh he is much more durable and puts up good numbers.
I'll take McCoy. He's the better player and affects the game by himself way more than Suh does.

Ms Elam

Starter

#26 : October 12, 2012, 09:43:19 AM

The gap was never as big as most casual fans thought.  Suh has never played the run well, even when he was racking up sacks.  McCoy has always been good vs. the run.  McCoy has always been good at being disruptive and getting pressure, but he's starting to finish more like the Kong does this season.

Before the draft, I was of the opinion they are both very good players with different strengths and weaknesses.  Nothing has changed that opinion thus far for either player.
Can Suh play the run? I'm under the impression that he sucks at playing thee run because he doesn't play to stop the run, he plays for sacks. In college Suh was a monster controlling 2 gaps, while McCoy was thought to be the more natural pass rusher. Suh racked up some sacks his rookie year and since then its been his main focus. I actually remember Schwartz saying that's the way they play, they get after the quarterback.

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#27 : October 12, 2012, 10:00:27 AM

Can Suh play the run? I'm under the impression that he sucks at playing thee run because he doesn't play to stop the run, he plays for sacks. In college Suh was a monster controlling 2 gaps, while McCoy was thought to be the more natural pass rusher. Suh racked up some sacks his rookie year and since then its been his main focus. I actually remember Schwartz saying that's the way they play, they get after the quarterback.

Always those lame excuses. You said it best yourself ' he sucks at playing the run'. Why do we have to pick plays Suh feels comfortable with? I thought he was an NFL DT?

What's next? He is just 25 years old? That 2010 reference gets old fast.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#28 : October 12, 2012, 10:15:53 AM

I'd still take Suh. I always knew that McCoy would be the better penetrator, but Suh is the better run defender, more stout player, and has less injury likelihood. Penetrating DTs take more of a physical toll on their body. I think that is one of the biggest reasons Sapp's production was so varied when he was here, and I expect to see the same from McCoy. When McCoy is on he can affect the game more, but I'd expect to continue to see a more inconsistent career.

A side note. JJ Watt looks better than both of them right now.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#29 : October 12, 2012, 10:26:30 AM

I'd still take Suh. I always knew that McCoy would be the better penetrator, but Suh is the better run defender, more stout player, and has less injury likelihood. Penetrating DTs take more of a physical toll on their body. I think that is one of the biggest reasons

...but Suh isn't good vs the run. It is actually not his forte.

Suh hasn't been the playmaker he was his rookie year and his down in and down out work wasn't sterling then. McCoy OTOH was, when he played, good down in and down out but didn't make the splash plays. Now he's getting some splash to go with the consistency.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Has Gerald surpassed Suh as the better player? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools