Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Doug Martin Needs More Carries « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: October 13, 2012, 12:51:40 AM

Doug Martin Needs More Carries

RSS

By Sander Philipse on Oct 12, 2:59p

Kim Klement-US PRESSWIRE - Presswire

Over the past few weeks, Bucs fans have debated the distribution of running back carries over and over again. Should Legarrette Blount take the lead, with Doug Martin just being a change-of-pace back, or should the first-rounder get the chance to be a true bellcow back? So far, neither player has been particularly convincing. Martin has just 247 yards on 71 carries, while Blount hasn't done any better with 44 carries on 13 attempts. The Bucs want to be a running team, but it hasn't worked out that way so far.

NFL Films producer Greg Cosell thinks he has part of the answer: Martin hasn't had enough carries. Here's what Cosell had to say about Doug Martin's performance so far on the Fantasy Guru podcast:

I think Doug Martin is a volume runner who needs carries to get into a rhythm, and I don't think he's been given that opportunity. There's not a lot of room. I don't think he's a pure make-you-miss, get-a-ton-of-yards-on-your-own back. But I think he's a tough, physical grinder. And those backs, to me, need carries. And I don't think they've been able to play that way. So he's not gotten enough carries and he's not had a lot of room, so I don't really feel I can give a true evaluation of Doug Martin yet.

But that picture doesn't really fit with reality. Martin had 24, 20 and 19 carries in the three first games respectively, and that's a pretty decent amount of carries. The Bucs have been able to keep every game close and haven't been forced away from the pass, so they can certainly afford to feed him the ball. But if a back can't get going with 20 carries in a game, then the problem can't really be the volume of carries.

There are a lot of problems with the running game in general. The blocking has been subpar, with Ted Larsen and Erik Lorig being especially at fault, while Doug Martin and Legarrette Blount have both been lackluster. The playcalling has been mind-boggling at times, with far too many runs up the gut and not enough runs to the outside. Martin has flashed a couple of times, while Blount has barely had a chance to shine, but neither has been consistent. That should come with more time, but for now the answer may be to lean on the pass just a little bit more.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2012/10/12/3494596/doug-martin-needs-more-carries

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#1 : October 13, 2012, 07:10:30 AM

People were saying he shouldn't be run so much because of what happened to Caddy getting too many carries.   Now since he sucks ass, the theory is he's not getting enough carries?   LOL!

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 13, 2012, 07:50:08 AM

I think Doug Martin is a volume runner who needs carries to get into a rhythm, and I don't think he's been given that opportunity. There's not a lot of room. I don't think he's a pure make-you-miss, get-a-ton-of-yards-on-your-own back. But I think he's a tough, physical grinder. And those backs, to me, need carries. And I don't think they've been able to play that way. So he's not gotten enough carries and he's not had a lot of room, so I don't really feel I can give a true evaluation of Doug Martin yet.

Translation = When the playcalling improves, you will get a better representation of his capabilities.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 13, 2012, 09:47:59 AM

When the BLOCKING improves, he will get more YPC. And we should see more of the run game and LeGarrette Blount, which opponents likely will stuff the box to stop, opening up more Josh Freeman shots downfield. Simple game, really...  ;D

BucFanHudson31

Starter

#4 : October 13, 2012, 09:51:36 AM

People were saying he shouldn't be run so much because of what happened to Caddy getting too many carries.   Now since he sucks ass, the theory is he's not getting enough carries?   LOL!

I know..He sucks with all the carries he's getting now,so they think the Suck Muscle should get more? lol Child Please...

And I understand the Logistics of Michael posting to get more hits here on PR but c'mon man,  Michael do you understand how ridiculous a post titled" Doug Martin Needs More Carries is on a message board of fans that actually know how below average the Suck Muscle is??

You suck Michael..You suck almost as much as Thee "Suck Muscle"

ADDED-It pains me to say this but I would Rather have Michael Pittman toting the rock.  Would Take an Old Caddy everyday of the week OVER this Pathetic Bust....If Blount doesn't get atleast 10 Touches tomorrow I will have Officially joined the Shiano is as bad as Raheem club.
: October 13, 2012, 09:54:44 AM BucFanHudson31

Freeman has improved and I was wrong about him.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#5 : October 13, 2012, 10:04:07 AM

Nonsense article. For one he has had LOTS of carries. Averaged 21 per game over the first three games. Plus, he averaged only 16 carries a game in college and there were long stretches during games with no running at all. At Boise it was the Kellen Moore show and Doug was an after thought. He has never needed a lot of carries to find his rhythm.

16 carries a game is plenty for Doug. Blount needs to be getting the other 10 or more. The difference is Doug's carries should be creative plays that get him outside on the edge instead of running straight up the gut. Plus, he should be getting at least 5 receptions a game.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 13, 2012, 10:08:59 AM

Nonsense article. For one he has had LOTS of carries. Averaged 21 per game over the first three games. Plus, he averaged only 16 carries a game in college and there were long stretches during games with no running at all. At Boise it was the Kellen Moore show and Doug was an after thought. He has never needed a lot of carries to find his rhythm.

BTW, just to drive this point home no back in the league other than MJD last year averaged 21 carries per game. One out of 32 starting RB's. If he needs "more" carries he ain't gonna get it.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#7 : October 13, 2012, 10:20:09 AM

What he really needs is better blocking from his FB, his O-line, and down field by receivers. Go watch a Ray Rice Highlight. His top end speed is no greater than Martins. You watch his long runs and it's because he is getting great blocking. The Ravens have exceptional down field blocking. I see Mike WIlliams give this kind of effort blocking down field, but I don't see it from anyone else. If we are really going to be a run oriented team, Peck needs to make this a focal point.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 13, 2012, 10:29:09 AM

What he really needs is better blocking from his FB, his O-line, and down field by receivers. Go watch a Ray Rice Highlight. His top end speed is no greater than Martins. You watch his long runs and it's because he is getting great blocking. The Ravens have exceptional down field blocking. I see Mike WIlliams give this kind of effort blocking down field, but I don't see it from anyone else. If we are really going to be a run oriented team, Peck needs to make this a focal point.

Good runners make bad lines look better. Go look at a lot of the "great backs" and how DOA their runs games were the year before and how they upgraded the apparatus w/o system or personnel changes.

If the argument is "he needs blocking" then the RB is just a function of the OL and so why do we spend a lot of time and money on RB's? I mean we shouldn't but people insanely keep drafting them high so they must think RB's are an independent variable.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

buchead

Hall of Famer

#9 : October 13, 2012, 10:39:23 AM

Less Carries ! He hadn't earned more why give him more. I'm pretty sure if u keep pounding he eventually will break one but so what. You can say that about any RB! I don't think the bucs overrated what kind of player he can become, as I think he will be a stud, buy I think they overrated how fast he can become that player. For all the comparisons to Ray rice, they should realize Ray didn't become the player that he is until about 3or4 years in. Blount should be the starter.

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#10 : October 13, 2012, 11:17:13 AM

Lol what? This guy can't be watching Bucs games.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#11 : October 13, 2012, 11:25:47 AM

Lol what? This guy can't be watching Bucs games.

My thoughts exactly ....is this article a joke ?

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#12 : October 13, 2012, 12:40:12 PM

Martin never even looks to make a big run. He just puts his head down and fights for yards without even looking to cutback. Give him 100 carries the way he's running right now, and I doubt that he would break it past 40 yards even once.

Blocking is a huge problem though. Martin should look more like he did against the Panthers than he has in the past 3 games. It's not as if he was amazing versus the Panthers, but it's good, solid production that can keep drives going.

The obvious solution though is to run Blount more often. Sure the stats don't go in his favour, but the few runs he has broken have been exciting. Give him a few more carries and he would definitely break some bigger runs unlike Martin.
: October 13, 2012, 12:42:39 PM taqibalib

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#13 : October 13, 2012, 12:55:07 PM

The obvious solution though is to run Blount more often. Sure the stats don't go in his favour, but the few runs he has broken have been exciting. Give him a few more carries and he would definitely break some bigger runs unlike Martin.

i would like blount to get more carries.  but could a factor be that martin always gets those 3-4 yard runs while blount might have more 0 yard carries before he breaks the big exciting one?  could be the difference between 3rd and 5 and 3rd and 10?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

buchead

Hall of Famer

#14 : October 13, 2012, 01:34:29 PM

i would like blount to get more carries.  but could a factor be that martin always gets those 3-4 yard runs while blount might have more 0 yard carries before he breaks the big exciting one?  could be the difference between 3rd and 5 and 3rd and 10?
That was my thinking before the season started. Doug Mason can play 3 downs and keep you on schedule(3rd and 3or4 instead of 3rd and long) but I just assumed he would be a but more explosive and he doesn't even play 3 downs. So if we are not fooling defenses by playing him 3 downs or passing on running situations, if he isn't even averaging that 4 yards per and keeping us in 3rd and short situations, then what justifiable reason could there possibly be to give him more Carries than Blount? I would understand if this was a balanced offense that kept defenses guessing if its run or pass by shifting the RBs and WRs then fine.  The fact is this team wants to run the ball more than pass, and defenses can generally tell what they're going to do by the situation.  Blount should be starting pain and simple.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Doug Martin Needs More Carries « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools