Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What I saw today, and my thoughts. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#15 : October 21, 2012, 06:13:33 PM

I just watched it again, too. And it appears Free HAD left the pocket at the time MW was pushed out of bounds.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#16 : October 21, 2012, 06:14:00 PM

Mallcon Jenkins just said, the Saints work on that in practice, pushing WR's out of bounds.

Smart.

jhop88

Hall of Famer

#17 : October 21, 2012, 06:20:38 PM

On TV they are saying that pushing Williams out of bounds was not a foul because Freeman had left the pocket. I still don't get it. Freeman hadn't crossed the LOS. He wasn't a runner. So even though he was still a QB and still trying to throw....the defenders are allowed to push and shove receivers just because he left the pocket? So every time guys like Vick and RG3 leave the pocket, we can shove the receivers to the ground or push them out of bounds? That sounds ridiculous.

I think we get a better explanation later in the week from the league office.   Something is not right with that.

But it is right. I'm kinda surprised so many on here are acting like they never heard/know the rule.

You've never heard a ref say "there is no foul for illegal contact as the QB was out of the pocket."

I didn't think it was that uncommon...maybe I'm wrong.

danimal09

Starter

#18 : October 21, 2012, 06:22:10 PM

I just watched it again, too. And it appears Free HAD left the pocket at the time MW was pushed out of bounds.

That may be true, I believe it was close and debatable at least. But I still have not seen any proof of this out of the pocket= no PI rule

jhop88

Hall of Famer

#19 : October 21, 2012, 06:22:17 PM

Not saying they're right, but the 2 guys on NFL Network announcing the highlights just commented on Freeman being out of the pocket hence no penalty for illegal contact.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#20 : October 21, 2012, 06:32:10 PM

Just doesn't make sense. If there is no PI once the QB leaves the pocket....why aren't defenses just clobbering receivers as soon as the QB scrambles?

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#21 : October 21, 2012, 06:34:10 PM

The problem to me is that MW ran that route so deep there was really nowhere for him to be going. I mean was he "pushed" out of bound,m not as much as he was going that ways anyways. There was nowhere to go back there.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#22 : October 21, 2012, 06:35:18 PM

After such a tough loss, I'm happy we only have to wait until Thursday to try to get this bad taste out of our mouths. Let's hope
it happens.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#23 : October 21, 2012, 06:37:49 PM

Mallcon Jenkins just said, the Saints work on that in practice, pushing WR's out of bounds.

Coming from the team responsible for bounty gate , it's not surprising they have found new and more inventive ways to cheat....

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Hayseed

Hall of Famer

#24 : October 21, 2012, 06:43:49 PM

On TV they are saying that pushing Williams out of bounds was not a foul because Freeman had left the pocket. I still don't get it. Freeman hadn't crossed the LOS. He wasn't a runner. So even though he was still a QB and still trying to throw....the defenders are allowed to push and shove receivers just because he left the pocket? So every time guys like Vick and RG3 leave the pocket, we can shove the receivers to the ground or push them out of bounds? That sounds ridiculous.

This.

Guarantee that call doesn't get made if it's one of those guys. I think the confusion lies in what the QBs intentions are. Simply being out of the pocket doesn't give the DB the right to shove a receiver to the ground. How can you ever throw a receiver to the ground when the QB still has the option to throw the ball to them?

They Call Me El Jefe, El Primo De Los Matadors,
The Master Of The Metaphor, A Chaw Chewin\' Troubadour

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#25 : October 21, 2012, 06:47:39 PM

Also keep in mind that was a marginal "push. i though he was pretty much going out of bounds by himself and the DB just added to his momentum. That's not a call any ref would make, even if he was in the pocket, on the last play of the day.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#26 : October 21, 2012, 06:54:36 PM

Just doesn't make sense. If there is no PI once the QB leaves the pocket....why aren't defenses just clobbering receivers as soon as the QB scrambles?

This!!

I am not saying that the catch wasn't "illegal", just that the call implies that once the QB leaves the pocket, it's open season on anybody who is eligible downfield. Just tackle the receiver before the ball is in the air becsaue you cannot be flagged. It's dumb.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#27 : October 21, 2012, 06:55:13 PM

Haven't read every word of the NFL rule book but I don't see where it reads PI is fine if teh QB leaves the pocket.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/11_2012_ForwardPass_BackPass_Fumble.pdf

Ironworker808

Second String

#28 : October 21, 2012, 06:55:24 PM

PI is still in effect...once the ball leaves the QB's hand.

END OF RESTRICTIONS
Article 7 End of Restrictions. If the quarterback or the receiver of the snap demonstrates no further intention to pass the
ball (i.e., hands off or pitches the ball to another player, throws a forward or backward pass, loses possession of the ball
by a muff that touches the ground or a fumble, or if he is tackled) the restrictions on the defensive team prohibiting illegal
contact, an illegal cut block, or defensive holding against an offensive receiver will end. If thge quarterback leaves the
pocket area with the ball in his possession, the restrictions on illegal contact and an illegal cut block both end, but the
restriction on defensive holding remains in effect.

EDIT: Also this...

NFL Rules Digest:

"Note: Once the quarterback hands off or pitches the ball to a back, or if the quarterback leaves the pocket area, the restrictions (illegal chuck, illegal cut) on the defensive team relative to the offensive receivers will end, provided the ball is not in the air."

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/useofhands
: October 21, 2012, 07:00:48 PM Ironworker808

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#29 : October 21, 2012, 06:55:31 PM

After such a tough loss, I'm happy we only have to wait until Thursday to try to get this bad taste out of our mouths. Let's hope
it happens.

I'm not. After an emotional draining game like this, I think we will likely fall flat in Minnesota. I keep hearing all the experts say how the Thursday Night games aren't fair and the home team has an unfair advantage. I'm not feeling good about this Thursday. Was really hoping we'd win today so a loss on Thursday wouldn't sting so bad. Hope I am wrong. I'll be very impressed if we can pull out a win in four days.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What I saw today, and my thoughts. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools