Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Worst call EVAR! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #15 : October 28, 2012, 08:11:43 PM »

Before the advent of replay that's a TD because that's what was called on the field. My own feeling.....and I hate the Cowboys and generally root for the Giants when the Bucs are not involved.....is that replay was never meant to overturn these types of plays. It was originally put into place to eliminate the egregiously bad calls....not whether a toe, finger, shoelace, etc. was in or out of bounds or whether a ball quite possibly may have been moving in the instant before a ball carrier hits the ground and loses it.
I agree.

I think it takes away from the organic flow of the game.  The biggest calls should be left to the refs, IMO.  Of course, once you get burned by a bum call, you tend to change your mind (or most do).

Wolf

Rookie

« #16 : October 28, 2012, 08:13:15 PM »

Before the advent of replay that's a TD because that's what was called on the field. My own feeling.....and I hate the Cowboys and generally root for the Giants when the Bucs are not involved.....is that replay was never meant to overturn these types of plays. It was originally put into place to eliminate the egregiously bad calls....not whether a toe, finger, shoelace, etc. was in or out of bounds or whether a ball quite possibly may have been moving in the instant before a ball carrier hits the ground and loses it.

+1
That sums up my feelings quite well. 

I love this team, and would cheer them even if Leeman Bennett was coaching Alvin Harper and Eric Curry.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

« #17 : October 28, 2012, 08:28:47 PM »

One thing that replay has done for the NFL is create extra timeouts. Timeouts equal advertising time. That factor cannot be dismissed as a motivator for replay. When replay was first put in, the cameras stayed with the referee going under the hood. Then it dawned on the NFL that this is GREAT!!!! We can cut to commercial time and sell more advertising.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #18 : October 28, 2012, 08:37:25 PM »

I think the Bert Emanuel call was the worst call ever, but whatever.

The Packers' screwing ranks right up there!!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
« #19 : October 28, 2012, 08:55:41 PM »

I agree.

I think it takes away from the organic flow of the game.  The biggest calls should be left to the refs, IMO.  Of course, once you get burned by a bum call, you tend to change your mind (or most do).

That could not possibly be more accurate! I for one think this is the best reason for the replay. The small hard to see missed stuff.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #20 : October 28, 2012, 09:57:27 PM »

Before the advent of replay that's a TD because that's what was called on the field. My own feeling.....and I hate the Cowboys and generally root for the Giants when the Bucs are not involved.....is that replay was never meant to overturn these types of plays.

That's exactly what it was meant to do.

And to the OP...

Ticky tack rules? You mean the rule that says you have to get two feet down? LOL.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

« #21 : October 28, 2012, 11:31:14 PM »

Before the advent of replay that's a TD because that's what was called on the field. My own feeling.....and I hate the Cowboys and generally root for the Giants when the Bucs are not involved.....is that replay was never meant to overturn these types of plays.

That's exactly what it was meant to do.

In 2003, the N.F.L. embraced expanded replay as an enforcement tool. The key moment was a blown call during a Giants-49ers playoff game won by San Francisco. The commissioner at the time, Paul Tagliabue, was irate and called the error the most disappointing moment of his tenure.

Asked at the time about the commissioner’s reaction, Preston Robert Tisch, the Giants co-owner, responded in a way that put the almost obsessive preoccupation with getting it right in perspective.

“He’s a decent guy, and he wants the game played the way it should be,” Tisch said, referring to Tagliabue. “But they made a mistake, and life goes on.”

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #22 : October 29, 2012, 01:49:24 AM »

And?

The call was wrong and the replay helped get it right. Like they intended when it was implemented.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #23 : October 29, 2012, 03:40:59 AM »

I know one thing...Romo is starting to look panic stricken out there. 

Did you see the unreal pressure they were getting on him?    Any QB would be getting flustered with that kind of pressure.    He was running for his life every down.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #24 : October 29, 2012, 03:42:01 AM »

I agree.

I think it takes away from the organic flow of the game. 

I agree.   I think even with instant replay that the refs get plays wrong.    I liked it better back in the 70's.   The game was more fun.    Let the refs make the calls on the spot and fans can have an emotional reaction to the play right then.   Not wait for 10 minutes while they review it.   That takes away from the game big time.   

ryan24

Hall of Famer

« #25 : October 29, 2012, 11:26:41 AM »

And?

The call was wrong and the replay helped get it right. Like they intended when it was implemented.

When replay was first introduced it was to correct the major error....not look for every toe and finger that may or may have landed or not. It was meant to be occasional and not to the degree it has been expanded to. We've just gotten used to how it's used.

bashear

Hall of Famer

« #26 : October 29, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »

I'm as much as a dinosaur as some others here, but the times have changed. Seems silly to not use instant replay today with HD slo-mo cameras. I prefer seeing the game called correctly.

usmc-buc

Pro Bowler
« #27 : October 29, 2012, 12:10:48 PM »

He was out. Glad he was or else we would have 6 days of COWBOYS TO THE SUPERBOWL talk on all the sports networks... right up till the next choke job.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #28 : October 29, 2012, 12:18:02 PM »

With Orton in there the Cowboys would have a better record this season, IMO.  Romo is just killing their chances.

Jack Rabbit Slim

Hall of Famer

« #29 : October 29, 2012, 12:49:21 PM »

Not a Cowboys or a Dez Bryant fan, that sure looked like a TD to me.

I was watching the game on my 1950's Philco Predicta and still saw that he was out of bounds....

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Worst call EVAR! « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools