Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano Limits Hot Meals, Manages Movie Titles « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#30 : October 30, 2012, 12:33:54 PM

Whether a particular player considers Schiano's "control" as a bad thing or a good thing really comes down to a players mindset. Does he view coach's control as an attempt to HELP him by eliminating distractions to his preparation for the next game, or does he resent the coach for being overly controlling? If a player WANTS to improve and be successful, he'll welcome any help from his coach he can get. And that's EXACTLY how a good coach should be; willing to do ANYTHING to help each and every player be his best. If other stuff is more important to a player.... well, most if not all those players are gone...

Nailed it!!

Yup. Hes only going to bring in guys who welcome getting better and are willing to do some things to do it. Schiano knows some things that will help his team get better. Not every team does it but better doing it than not doing it. It makes these guys better people and with that better players. Who doesnt want that?

Yeah, because there are so many other winning teams that do this...  ::)

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#31 : October 30, 2012, 12:46:44 PM

Whether a particular player considers Schiano's "control" as a bad thing or a good thing really comes down to a players mindset. Does he view coach's control as an attempt to HELP him by eliminating distractions to his preparation for the next game, or does he resent the coach for being overly controlling? If a player WANTS to improve and be successful, he'll welcome any help from his coach he can get. And that's EXACTLY how a good coach should be; willing to do ANYTHING to help each and every player be his best. If other stuff is more important to a player.... well, most if not all those players are gone...

Nailed it!!

Yup. Hes only going to bring in guys who welcome getting better and are willing to do some things to do it. Schiano knows some things that will help his team get better. Not every team does it but better doing it than not doing it. It makes these guys better people and with that better players. Who doesnt want that?

I dont understand the problem? Too positive a thing for your liking there TBay?

buccaneer4ever

Hall of Famer

#32 : October 30, 2012, 01:02:17 PM

Imagine coming to work and your boss as set up a piping hot cup of coffee for you. Tons of pens in your pen holder, fresh paper for notes, plenty of folders already organized so you can keep track of things very easily. At lunch time, a warm or cold meal is prepared for you that is both something you enjoy eating, and the proper nutrition for your body weight and caloric intake. The room is set to a great temperature that keeps you active and engaged, your work space is cleaned and sanitized for you after you're done for the day.

That sounds like a great place to work.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#33 : October 30, 2012, 01:03:28 PM

Imagine coming to work and your boss as set up a piping hot cup of coffee for you. Tons of pens in your pen holder, fresh paper for notes, plenty of folders already organized so you can keep track of things very easily. At lunch time, a warm or cold meal is prepared for you that is both something you enjoy eating, and the proper nutrition for your body weight and caloric intake. The room is set to a great temperature that keeps you active and engaged, your work space is cleaned and sanitized for you after you're done for the day.

That sounds like a great place to work.

Nope. Players will revolt. They arent kids buccaneer4ever.

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

#34 : October 30, 2012, 01:21:12 PM

Nailed it!!

I don't think TBay has a problem with discipline but with treating grown men like college or high school students.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#35 : October 30, 2012, 01:30:22 PM

Nailed it!!

I don't think TBay has a problem with discipline but with treating grown men like college or high school students.

Exactly.  Men who are free to make up their own minds don't like to be told how to eat, when to eat, what to watch, when to watch it and so on.  It works great in college, but I doubt the success you could have in the NFL.  Now, if Schiano wants to tell them how they should do all those things, then that's perfectly reasonable.

buccaneer4ever

Hall of Famer

#36 : October 30, 2012, 01:31:48 PM

You guys are looking at it like prison. Think more like staying at a 5-star hotel.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#37 : October 30, 2012, 01:34:44 PM

You guys are looking at it like prison. Think more like staying at a 5-star hotel.

5-star hotels sugest to you how, what, where, and when... they give you options.  Prisons tell you how, what, where, and when without options.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#38 : October 30, 2012, 01:39:13 PM

Oh my, so much fail and so much stupidity here. I'm sorry I didn't get here sooner to head it off. It's very clear that 98% of this board has never played the game of football past high school. Here is what happens when you head on a road trip, and specifically an overnighter...

Every minute and I mean every minute of the day is accounted for. It is not a vacation, it is not a time to see the town, relax, have fun or any of the above. You get on the plane or bus, load your gear and if you're lucky watch a movie. The movie is picked out by a captain, if your lucky, or one of the assistant coaches. Usually a stupid movie like Rudy or Friday night lights, something motivational or football related. If you didn't want to watch it, you brought a book, a magazine, listened to your Ipod or slept.

When arrived you were GIVEN a roommate. Guys deemed more responsible got bunked with guys deemed less responsible. You dropped your gear, had meetings, a walk throw and dinner. It was made very clear during dinner that you had better eat all you want for the night because there was no more meals after that. Some guys who knew they wanted a snack before bed would brings power bars or Gatorade. We had players sneak out and try to get things like a sub at 11pm at night. That was confiscated and always would be. The next morning breakfast was served and again have all you want now because there was no eating 3 hrs before the game. Power bars and gatorade were provided but it was determined for you that you would perform better and digest your food entirely as long as it was eaten 3 hrs before the game.

To the morons who think "they're grown men, you can't treat them like that". You are half right. They are "adults" but in no way shape or form can be trusted  as a whole and as a group to not do something stupid. Given the chance they would be eating pizza's, subs, candy ect.. late at night the night before the game. They are given things they should be eating at dinner that night, nothing else. To much control? Surely it's not. Do the players need to be guided in the right direction so they don't compromise everything they worked for all week? Absolutely. If they didn't, then please explain to me why a few have heat related fatigue during a game when they knew how hot it would be? Because some "adults" will prepare properly on their own, and others have to be forced.

So you make all the rooms on the cold side, you force them to drink water and you have assistant coaches doing everything in their power to make sure they stay focused and on task. Don't think they need that? Well you're likely giving the average football player way to much credit.

I work with a AAA hockey team. Last game of the year, playoffs on the line. The guys were in the training room watching the NFL playoffs during each of the intermissions. When you eat, sleep and breath a sport, it's becomes a part of your life and it stops being special. It becomes a grind and players stop caring as much. That is why veteran teams look average all year, then turn it on when they need to.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#39 : October 30, 2012, 02:38:15 PM

Yup. Exactly what I think about it BucNY.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#40 : October 30, 2012, 02:46:55 PM

Nailed it!!

Exactly.  Men who are free to make up their own minds don't like to be told how to eat, when to eat, what to watch, when to watch it and so on.  It works great in college, but I doubt the success you could have in the NFL.  Now, if Schiano wants to tell them how they should do all those things, then that's perfectly reasonable.

These guys do have the choice for all of that stuff. In fact they could leave the team now if they wanted to. They could ask for trades because they dont like how things are being done. Guess what?? None of that has happened. If they really dont like what Schiano is doing then they wouldnt do it. Afterall these are grown men right? If they start demanding to be cut this offseason or traded I will agree with you. But what Schiano is doing is actually what is needed to be done to be better players and better men. Who doesnt want that? If you dont want that, I would question your commitment to this sport. I would question you as a player and a person. Its not surprising to me that some people are already gone because they didnt commit to the team. Guess what? Those guys arent even playing in the NFL right now. Its about commitment to being a better player and person for the team. Thats what these players should want anyways. If they dont, then good riddance. I dont want them on my team either.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#41 : October 30, 2012, 04:05:26 PM

These guys do have the choice for all of that stuff. In fact they could leave the team now if they wanted to. They could ask for trades because they dont like how things are being done. Guess what?? None of that has happened. If they really dont like what Schiano is doing then they wouldnt do it. Afterall these are grown men right? If they start demanding to be cut this offseason or traded I will agree with you. But what Schiano is doing is actually what is needed to be done to be better players and better men. Who doesnt want that? If you dont want that, I would question your commitment to this sport. I would question you as a player and a person. Its not surprising to me that some people are already gone because they didnt commit to the team. Guess what? Those guys arent even playing in the NFL right now. Its about commitment to being a better player and person for the team. Thats what these players should want anyways. If they dont, then good riddance. I dont want them on my team either.

Yeah, because that always works out well for the player?  Look at Jackson.  It took him 3 years to get out of San Diego.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#42 : October 30, 2012, 04:11:16 PM

Yeah, because that always works out well for the player?  Look at Jackson.  It took him 3 years to get out of San Diego.

Jackson wanted to get paid. This would be about disagreeing with the HC and how he does things. I doubt he had any problems with the HC. If that were the case he would have left SD a long time ago. My guess is that would be the case here as well.

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#43 : October 30, 2012, 05:07:23 PM

Oh my, so much fail and so much stupidity here. I'm sorry I didn't get here sooner to head it off. It's very clear that 98% of this board has never played the game of football past high school. Here is what happens when you head on a road trip, and specifically an overnighter...

Every minute and I mean every minute of the day is accounted for. It is not a vacation, it is not a time to see the town, relax, have fun or any of the above. You get on the plane or bus, load your gear and if you're lucky watch a movie. The movie is picked out by a captain, if your lucky, or one of the assistant coaches. Usually a stupid movie like Rudy or Friday night lights, something motivational or football related. If you didn't want to watch it, you brought a book, a magazine, listened to your Ipod or slept.

When arrived you were GIVEN a roommate. Guys deemed more responsible got bunked with guys deemed less responsible. You dropped your gear, had meetings, a walk throw and dinner. It was made very clear during dinner that you had better eat all you want for the night because there was no more meals after that. Some guys who knew they wanted a snack before bed would brings power bars or Gatorade. We had players sneak out and try to get things like a sub at 11pm at night. That was confiscated and always would be. The next morning breakfast was served and again have all you want now because there was no eating 3 hrs before the game. Power bars and gatorade were provided but it was determined for you that you would perform better and digest your food entirely as long as it was eaten 3 hrs before the game.

To the morons who think "they're grown men, you can't treat them like that". You are half right. They are "adults" but in no way shape or form can be trusted  as a whole and as a group to not do something stupid. Given the chance they would be eating pizza's, subs, candy ect.. late at night the night before the game. They are given things they should be eating at dinner that night, nothing else. To much control? Surely it's not. Do the players need to be guided in the right direction so they don't compromise everything they worked for all week? Absolutely. If they didn't, then please explain to me why a few have heat related fatigue during a game when they knew how hot it would be? Because some "adults" will prepare properly on their own, and others have to be forced.

So you make all the rooms on the cold side, you force them to drink water and you have assistant coaches doing everything in their power to make sure they stay focused and on task. Don't think they need that? Well you're likely giving the average football player way to much credit.

I work with a AAA hockey team. Last game of the year, playoffs on the line. The guys were in the training room watching the NFL playoffs during each of the intermissions. When you eat, sleep and breath a sport, it's becomes a part of your life and it stops being special. It becomes a grind and players stop caring as much. That is why veteran teams look average all year, then turn it on when they need to.

+1, we are talking about football players, guys that have weight clauses in their contracts, that need taxi driver to get them in time to training camp, guys that need years to figure out they could benefit from nutritionist instead of taco bell 24/7, guys that forget to drink in hot weather, guys that DUI because the did not know better. Guys that most of their life did want they got told to do, they never had to really work, be responsible for themselves.

This isn't prision , where budgets dictate how much and what inmates get for lunch. Schiano looks at the little things to make them better. If anything we should discuss whether room temperature really helps to concentrate, how certain food at certain moments improve your abilties. But i'm sure this is not in doubt by most guys here. With all those rules Schiano allows them to concentrate on their job, help those that would not do those little things right themself. I'll doubt he forces palyers to eat certain things despite allergies. If team tells them they prefer a different meal/movies, and even give reason for, Schiano will listen to.

He wants a certain room temperature, so his team feels better, can concentrate better, he wants the perfect food at the right time so his team can up with best result. You act as if those kind of things diff so much from other teams, as if most players would not like to sit in similar climated rooms, other teams have completely different meals. He just looks at the details and makes sure it will be right, not 'just' right... by coincidence.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#44 : October 30, 2012, 08:44:45 PM

I am actually in support of this in the SHORT term.  Even those kids at Rutgers got to graduate eventually.  After three years of this, I can see some players getting sick of it.  Our team needed discipline...no doubt...but these are MEN not children.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano Limits Hot Meals, Manages Movie Titles « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools