Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: In Hindsight....Should the Bucs have stayed at #5 and drafted Morris Claiborne ? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 33

TampaBucks05

Pro Bowler
#45 : November 02, 2012, 02:40:22 PM

Im pleased with the Bucs' decisions on draft day.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#46 : November 02, 2012, 03:26:16 PM

The Bucs could have drafted Claiborne instead of Barron but then they'd need to draft a SS in the upcoming draft. Both players are very good and I find this line of thinking pretty stupid.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#47 : November 02, 2012, 03:31:21 PM

The Bucs could have drafted Claiborne instead of Barron but then they'd need to draft a SS in the upcoming draft. Both players are very good and I find this line of thinking pretty stupid.

Agree me too. Opportunity for the Claiborne bandwagoners to complain. I liked Claiborne at the draft but I was happy with what we decided to do. Turned into a very solid draft for this team and one we will look back at that started it all.

Bigpapi

Starter

#48 : November 02, 2012, 07:14:13 PM

Martin would not have been there at our 2nd rd pick. David most likely wouldn't be there for our 3rd rd pick. The 4th rounder we got directly impacted us getting 2 other players.

And say what you will about passing on Claiborne, we passed on every CB in the draft. Talib, Wright, Biggers, Gaitor, Lewis/Johnson probably (incorrectly) gave them enough confidence to not take a CB. Now that Talib has been suspended/traded, Wright is facing suspension and is always injured, Gaitor injured, Lewis sucking ballsacks - you really wish there was more CB depth. But hindsight is 20/20.

Completely agree.  Martin would have been in Giants uniform.  No doubt in my mind.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#49 : November 02, 2012, 08:51:50 PM

We would be set at CB now, with Wright as a #2 CB.  That is they even signed Wright, may not have, if they had MoMo and whoever.  We probably could have made it another season without a stud safety.

But, it is what it is.   I am happy with Dougie, Barron and David.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

benir0

Hall of Famer
#50 : November 02, 2012, 09:01:33 PM

I still think we made the right decision.  Claiborne, to me, has potentially many of the same issues Talib does.  We got the guy we wanted and we are set up to get a couple of CBs in a draft that is deep with them.
You mean Claiborne consistently demonstrates the ability to cover opposing receivers at a really high level, has no history of violence, and no history of drugs? Yeah, sounds just like Talib.

Exactly, hell the only "character" issue was the wonderlic and everyone knows CB success is inversely proportional to their wonderlic score -- seriously. Talib had a history of off field problem when he entered the league.

Let's be clear: Talib was shipped off not because of his off the field issues, but because of his play.  Sure, the adderall, etc., made him less desirable but his mediocre play made him expendable.  As a player, I think Claiborne "potentially" has some of the same issues that got Talib: occasional laziness.  It contributed to Talib's ultimately streaky career with the Bucs.  Claiborne has been great so far, but 7 games does not a career make.  So far, he's certainly done everything to dispell my concerns.  At the same time, I'm not going to judge Barron too harshly as a member of this seive of a secondary.

I think Claiborne is a good pick, but I think Barron/Martin is the better option.

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#51 : November 02, 2012, 09:51:28 PM

Safety was a glaring weakness as well, IMO.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#52 : November 02, 2012, 10:58:22 PM

Safety was a glaring weakness as well, IMO.

CB was more important, that is they looked in their crystal ball, and saw trouble ahead for Talib/Wright.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#53 : November 03, 2012, 07:28:13 AM

I have a rule : Never draft a player in the top 5 who's Wonderlic score will be lower than said draft position.

We are looking for Buccaneer Men .

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#54 : November 03, 2012, 08:47:35 AM

Obviously yes. Claiborne has been outstanding here in Dallas and Barron looks like he's a guy who, like people thought, is a good run supporter with issues in coverage, Winning the run game has helped us beat teams like KC and MIN so I guess if you want to beat bad teams we made the right move.

I am inclined to agree with ^^this^^. I think with Claiborne, we could have at least one more win that we do now. I think if you switch out Barron with Ahmad Black...our record is probably the same as it is now. I do think that Barron will still be a good player, but I think Claiborne is the better value.

People saying that getting Claiborne would mean that we wouldn't have Martin and David, is just not true.

Dom still could have used a mid 2013 pick to jump up and grab Martin, and if need be, David as well.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#55 : November 03, 2012, 11:02:49 AM

I have a rule : Never draft a player in the top 5 who's Wonderlic score will be lower than said draft position.

Buccaneer Men: #31 pass defense

Low Wonderlic: #3 pass defense

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

#56 : November 03, 2012, 11:23:57 AM

Obviously yes. Claiborne has been outstanding here in Dallas and Barron looks like he's a guy who, like people thought, is a good run supporter with issues in coverage, Winning the run game has helped us beat teams like KC and MIN so I guess if you want to beat bad teams we made the right move.

I am inclined to agree with ^^this^^. I think with Claiborne, we could have at least one more win that we do now. I think if you switch out Barron with Ahmad Black...our record is probably the same as it is now. I do think that Barron will still be a good player, but I think Claiborne is the better value.

People saying that getting Claiborne would mean that we wouldn't have Martin and David, is just not true.

Dom still could have used a mid 2013 pick to jump up and grab Martin, and if need be, David as well.

Chase, I have to disagree with you because that goes against what the Bucs are trying to accomplish.

They're building for the future not trying to win at all costs right now.

The Talib trade is a good example.

I don't think there's any way this team winds up with Barron, Martin AND Davis if Dominick doesn't trade that #5 pick, no way.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#57 : November 03, 2012, 11:26:51 AM

Buccaneer Men: #31 pass defense

Low Wonderlic: #3 pass defense
I literally laughed at people who kept bringing up the score...like it really matters when you piece the entire picture together.

The scourge that is claiming Bucs corners compounds the matter, because Momo is looking to be a pretty solid corneback, who can track the ball in flight and close quickly, while the Bucs are still floundering in pass covererage.  However, the Bucs run defense is exponentially better than it has been not just from last season, but for a while now, and Momo doesn't help that nearly as much as Baron does. 

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#58 : November 03, 2012, 11:33:43 AM

Chase, I have to disagree with you because that goes against what the Bucs are trying to accomplish.

They're building for the future not trying to win at all costs right now.

The Talib trade is a good example.

I don't think there's any way this team winds up with Barron, Martin AND Davis if Dominick doesn't trade that #5 pick, no way.

Trading away a future 3rd or 4th round pick, is hardly a crippling move for the franchise. My comment wasn't about winning at all costs right now...but if they felt that Martin was worth trading away a mid round pick in the next years draft..then that could have been an option.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

geetech84

Starter

#59 : November 03, 2012, 11:38:03 AM

I really doubt they could of got, both Martin and David..without that extra 4th..We would of got Martin..but David would of been hard to move back up to get him..It probably have to be 2012 3rd  and 2013 2nd pick..I just don't see it happening...

I like A.Black..but he is no M.Barron...are run defense much better..Yes with David, but also M.Barron too..A.Black is not good at the run..M. Barron plays both run and pass, better then any of the young DB's on this team..

If the Bucs stay where they was, and pick,Claiborne..we probably would of only got Martin..

But with the Bucs moving down and pickin up a extra pick..they got 3 key guys, that are starters..

and 2 of the guys are on D.

I really believe, if we did get Claiborne, are pass D would be about the same..maybe a little bit better, But our run D would be awful...

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 33
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: In Hindsight....Should the Bucs have stayed at #5 and drafted Morris Claiborne ? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools