Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: In Hindsight....Should the Bucs have stayed at #5 and drafted Morris Claiborne ? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 33

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#60 : November 03, 2012, 11:48:21 AM

The thought that A. Black wouldn't be a step down from Barron is laughable.

Schiano's defense depends upon an excellent SS and the Bucs had the opportunity to draft a guy who'd fit the bill for years to come and did so. Could they have drafted Claiborne at #5? sure but the defense would still be struggling vs. the pass.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#61 : November 03, 2012, 12:56:19 PM

The thought that A. Black wouldn't be a step down from Barron is laughable.

Schiano's defense depends upon an excellent SS and the Bucs had the opportunity to draft a guy who'd fit the bill for years to come and did so. Could they have drafted Claiborne at #5? sure but the defense would still be struggling vs. the pass.

No one said that Ahmad Black wasn't a step down from Barron....

The only thing that I said was that if you replace Barron with Black in our first 7 games...then our record is probably still 3-4.

If you insert Claiborne into those 7 games, it's possible that we would not have lost to the Giants.

I really doubt they could of got, both Martin and David..without that extra 4th..We would of got Martin..but David would of been hard to move back up to get him..It probably have to be 2012 3rd  and 2013 2nd pick..I just don't see it happening...

I disagree. I don't see why Houston wouldn't have taken our 3rd rd pick in '12, 3rd rd pick in '13 and possibly throw in a 6th from '12 to move up and take David.

I like A.Black..but he is no M.Barron...are run defense much better..Yes with David, but also M.Barron too..A.Black is not good at the run..M. Barron plays both run and pass, better then any of the young DB's on this team..
I agree. I think Black is average overall. He fills in nicely on certain packages and would do a decent job if one of the Safeties went down. Barron has the potential to be great, but he definitely isn't there yet. He still makes a few mistakes against the run and has been a seems to occasionally struggle against the pass. I think people are ignoring some of his struggles. Once again, though, Barron is a better safety than A. Black...no question...I just think that the W/L through the first 7 games would be the same if they had their roles switched.

I really believe, if we did get Claiborne, are pass D would be about the same..maybe a little bit better, But our run D would be awful...

I strongly disagree. Out run D has been stout because of the play of our DL and LBs. I still think we could have had David with Claiborne...and if that's true...then the run D would be where it is now.
: November 03, 2012, 12:58:07 PM chace1986

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#62 : November 03, 2012, 01:27:42 PM

I really believe, if we did get Claiborne, are pass D would be about the same..maybe a little bit better, But our run D would be awful...

I strongly disagree. Out run D has been stout because of the play of our DL and LBs. I still think we could have had David with Claiborne...and if that's true...then the run D would be where it is now.
Agreed. While Barron has been nice for the run defense, it's not like all the other players are playing exactly like they did last year and he's doing all the clean up work. The entire team is playing differently.

Dallas, with Claiborne, has the #13 run defense, allowing a little less than 20 yards more per game than the Bucs.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

#63 : November 03, 2012, 04:59:26 PM

I really doubt they could of got, both Martin and David..without that extra 4th..We would of got Martin..but David would of been hard to move back up to get him..It probably have to be 2012 3rd  and 2013 2nd pick..I just don't see it happening...

I disagree. I don't see why Houston wouldn't have taken our 3rd rd pick in '12, 3rd rd pick in '13 and possibly throw in a 6th from '12 to move up and take David.

I don't see why the Bucs would. Takes 2 to Tango, complete speculation.

Bottom line is the Bucs looked to have scored big in the first 3 rounds of this year's draft. The rest of the draft was very suspect unless Smith or Tandy end up seeing some real playing time. I'd be surprised if Goode does more than someone like Hayward.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#64 : November 03, 2012, 05:08:44 PM

I don't see why the Bucs would. Takes 2 to Tango, complete speculation.

Bottom line is the Bucs looked to have scored big in the first 3 rounds of this year's draft. The rest of the draft was very suspect unless Smith or Tandy end up seeing some real playing time. I'd be surprised if Goode does more than someone like Hayward.

Of course it's complete speculation. My point is...in the Claiborne scenario, if Dom wanted Martin and David...he would have made it work.

#65 : November 03, 2012, 05:22:31 PM

Sure, and I'm just saying it's too steep a price for what they've said (S&D) they're trying to do, that's all.

Dy-nasty D

Starter
#66 : November 03, 2012, 05:36:08 PM

I still like Barron over Claiborne. Bucs totally hit on their first 3 picks. You have to work hard to complain about this draft.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#67 : November 03, 2012, 07:17:21 PM

Since this thread(sort of) talks about the draft....watching Notre Dame the last few weeks. I'm convinced that Manti Te'o is gonna be an absolute superstar.

I know that we have 2 good LBs and rarely use a third, but if he is available when we pick, is he too good of a prospect to pass up?

The dude is great in every aspect of the game. Coverage. Open field tackling. Shedding Blocks. Rushing the passer.

I think I would compare the situation to when we were on the clock and Adrian Peterson was on the board. We didn't need a RB then, but 2 year later, all of us would say that Peterson would have been an excellent pick.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#68 : November 03, 2012, 09:25:56 PM

i underrated manti teo because he played at ND.  but darn if that guy isnt a player and doesnt have a tremendous story.  get that guy and get tebow to move to h back and you have the most inspirational team in the league.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#69 : November 03, 2012, 09:56:40 PM

Since this thread(sort of) talks about the draft....watching Notre Dame the last few weeks. I'm convinced that Manti Te'o is gonna be an absolute superstar.

I know that we have 2 good LBs and rarely use a third, but if he is available when we pick, is he too good of a prospect to pass up?

The dude is great in every aspect of the game. Coverage. Open field tackling. Shedding Blocks. Rushing the passer.

I think I would compare the situation to when we were on the clock and Adrian Peterson was on the board. We didn't need a RB then, but 2 year later, all of us would say that Peterson would have been an excellent pick.

I was thinking the same thing the other day.   My guess would be the Bucs trade the pick for a kings ransom if Teo is sitting there.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

bashear

Hall of Famer

#70 : November 03, 2012, 10:18:28 PM

Agreed. While Barron has been nice for the run defense, it's not like all the other players are playing exactly like they did last year and he's doing all the clean up work. The entire team is playing differently.

Dallas, with Claiborne, has the #13 run defense, allowing a little less than 20 yards more per game than the Bucs.
I know this whole thread is hypothetical, but it's tough comparing the two players using their respective team's performance when one player went to the Cowboys while the other player joined the struggling Bucs.

WC-Bucs fan

Starter

#71 : November 04, 2012, 12:54:56 AM

I still like Barron over Claiborne. Bucs totally hit on their first 3 picks. You have to work hard to complain about this draft.

Agreed. All three have met or exceeded my expectations so far.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#72 : November 04, 2012, 12:58:10 AM

Moot point on Teo. He will go top 7, maybe top 5. And we won't be drafting that high.

In Verner We Trust

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#73 : November 04, 2012, 01:38:58 AM

Moot point on Teo. He will go top 7, maybe top 5. And we won't be drafting that high.

Hopefully.    I think right now we are at #6.  But I expect a few more wins.   Most likely in the teens I would guess, come April.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#74 : November 04, 2012, 06:00:25 AM

Yawn..... Fennelly still has no clue on Talib; but he's had his agenda across many articles. Sounds to me like the the Patriots offer came out of the blue totally unsolicited, which is not very accurately described by Mr. F with the term "dumping"...
    As for Claiborne vs Barron; that's been discussed ad nauseum in previous threads too. Cowboys pass rush is far superior to ours, whichdo make a difference in CB success.
    Alfred Morris has surprised everyone but the Redskins, as did Terrell Davis, a 6th round pick by Shanahan several years ago in Denver. I seriously doubt Morris would have near the success he's having behind our O'line...
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 33
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: In Hindsight....Should the Bucs have stayed at #5 and drafted Morris Claiborne ? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools