Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ Offense Crumble with the Loss of Guard Carl Nicks ? « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : November 04, 2012, 01:13:57 AM »

Will the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ Offense Crumble with the Loss of Guard Carl Nicks?

October 30th, 2012 at 7:34 PM

By Wolf Heard

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers suffered a crushing blow to their offense on Tuesday when it was announced that Pro Bowl left guard Carl Nicks was placed on injured reserve, a move that ended his season.

Nicks, who signed a massive five-year, $47.5 million deal in the offseason, has been dealing with a toe injury nearly all season long and requires surgery to repair the torn plantar plate in his left toe. Despite being limited with the injury, Nicks was able to start all seven games up until this point.

The All Pro will now join fellow guard Davin Joseph, who was lost in the pre-season with a knee injury, on injured reserve, leaving the Bucs with only two of their original starting five offensive linemen.

Make no mistake about it, the loss of Nicks, who is widely considered to be the best guard in the NFL, will impact Tampa Bay's offense immensely. In the month of October, no offense has been hotter than the Bucs'. The Bucs put up over 34 points per game and averaged 472 yards per game.

When a team hands an interior lineman nearly $50 million, there is no way to replace a player of that caliber. Expect the Bucs to use Larsen, who initially filled in for Joseph to start to the season before losing his job to Jamon Meredith, to try and fill the void left by Nicks.

But Nicks is a mammoth blocker and no one they use will be as effective as him. Take for example rookie Doug Martin's production. When Martin runs to the left side, he is averaging 4.5 yards per carry. On the right side, Martin is only averaging 3.2 yards per carry.

Expect a big drop in offensive production across the board now that Nicks has been lost for the season.

In addition to losing Nicks, the Bucs also placed tight Danny Noble on injured reserve with a hamstring injury.

http://www.buccaneers101.com/2012/10/30/will-the-tampa-bay-buccaneers-offense-crumble-with-the-loss-of-guard-carl-nicks/

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

« #1 : November 04, 2012, 01:34:19 AM »

Crumble? I don't think so.

It won't be AS good, but I'd guess/hope that coaches will play to their strengths and it'll be alright.

Go Bucs!!

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
« #2 : November 04, 2012, 01:46:26 PM »

Will find out if Dougie is really special soon enough.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
« #3 : November 04, 2012, 01:51:24 PM »

In a word, NO!

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
« #4 : November 04, 2012, 01:56:07 PM »

I agree Rusty. For some reason I have confidence that the current coaching staff can get alot out of what they have. Can anyone on the roster be Nicks? Of course not. Can they play well? I think they can.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #5 : November 04, 2012, 02:27:34 PM »

Will find out if Dougie is really special soon enough.

Agree.  I think pass protection will be fine.  But the run game suffers.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ Offense Crumble with the Loss of Guard Carl Nicks ? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools