Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: just legalize it already « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #75 : November 28, 2012, 09:58:11 PM »

I can see both sides of it but I think the positives outweigh the negatives. I see it no differently than Alcohol. Legalize and tax. Make some extra money to pay off the debt.

I certainly get the last part, but I am not sure "the positives outweigh the negatives" with alcohol and I dont think anyone has posted a strong positive for marijuana. i could list many negatives

Natural temporary remedy to a lot medical issues from anxiety to insomnia. Depends on the person. Another way for people to relax. Some people really need that. Especially if they live very stressful lives, it's not a bad natural option to cool off. I mean if it were legalized people would need to learn to control themselves like alcohol or gambling what have you. And you could because Marijuana isnt addicting. It would just be another thing where people would have to take responsibility for where they are in their life if they chose to use.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

« #76 : November 28, 2012, 10:32:35 PM »

Looks like the dominoes are falling,

The top cop for the Indiana State Police on Tuesday advised a group of state lawmakers that marijuana be legalized and taxed.

Speaking at a budget committee meeting, Superintendent Paul Whitesell noted that both Colorado and Washington had decriminalized small amounts of the drug for recreational use.

“It’s here, it’s going to stay, there’s an awful lot of victimization that goes with it,” Whitesell said, according to radio station WFPL. “If it were up to me, I do believe I would legalize it and tax it, particularly in sight [sic] of the fact that several other states have now come to that part of their legal system as well.”

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

« #77 : November 28, 2012, 11:22:38 PM »

Looks like the dominoes are falling,

The top cop for the Indiana State Police on Tuesday advised a group of state lawmakers that marijuana be legalized and taxed.

Speaking at a budget committee meeting, Superintendent Paul Whitesell noted that both Colorado and Washington had decriminalized small amounts of the drug for recreational use.

“It’s here, it’s going to stay, there’s an awful lot of victimization that goes with it,” Whitesell said, according to radio station WFPL. “If it were up to me, I do believe I would legalize it and tax it, particularly in sight [sic] of the fact that several other states have now come to that part of their legal system as well.”

I really like the organic nature of this grass roots movement rising from the state level upward.

Something also needs to come from the federal level.

I'm not holding my breath on that.

tripblood

Hall of Famer

« #78 : November 28, 2012, 11:51:13 PM »

Peter Pan Vin strikes again.

To put it simply to ya VIncent, marijuana is has minimal negative effects here are some things that are immediately treatable with marijuana

Medical marijuana has been found to relieve certain symptoms of adrenal disease, inflammatory bowel disease, spasticity neurological pain, migraines, multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injuries, arthritis, atherosclerosis, bipolar disorder, HIV-Associated Illness, depression, dystonia, epilepsy, digestive diseases, hepatitis C, Huntington's disease, leukemia, melanamo, (MRSA) ,Parkinson's disease,(PTSD), psoriasis, sickle-cell disease, sleep apnea, anorexia, Tourette syndrome, relieve pain, muscle spasms, headaches, glaucoma, anxiety, nausea, vomiting, depression, cramps, panic attacks, diarrhea,  improve sleep, relaxation, appetite, concentration or focus, and energy. Some people use it to prevent anger, involuntary movements, and seizures, while others used it as a substitute for other prescription medications and alcohol.

To me it make no sense such a universal, and easy to cultivate plant is illegal when all these mesical benfits have been proven as fact

This guy...

tripblood

Hall of Famer

« #79 : November 28, 2012, 11:54:12 PM »

I wonder why thats why its so popular?

Naa.. its just a "hip" thing people do when they're young to get messed up.

This guy...

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

« #80 : November 29, 2012, 12:08:40 AM »

Is there an accurate equivalent to the breathalyzer?  For testing if you got into an accident. 

tripblood

Hall of Famer

« #81 : November 29, 2012, 12:18:09 AM »

Is there an accurate equivalent to the breathalyzer?  For testing if you got into an accident.

No.

But there is also no brethalyzer for someone who just popped 4 Oxycontin

This guy...

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

« #82 : November 29, 2012, 12:46:55 AM »

Yes, but the authorities will want some accountability.  If it stays in your system for a couple months that is a problem.  Say you get into an accident and you had not smoked in 50 days.  What if they say you were on it then? Are you positive there are no other testing methods?

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

« #83 : November 29, 2012, 01:12:24 AM »

Yes, but the authorities will want some accountability.  If it stays in your system for a couple months that is a problem.  Say you get into an accident and you had not smoked in 50 days.  What if they say you were on it then? Are you positive there are no other testing methods?

Legalizing marijuana would have no effect on how law enforcement handles DUI.  They will continue to use field sobriety and may be able to draw blood for the presence of intoxicants, But none of that is effected by doobie legalization.

Driving under the influence is still driving under the influence irrespective of marijuana laws.  The level of intoxicants in the blood may open the door for debate as to the influence it had ones driving. But legalization of the reefers would have no  bearing on the issue.

« : November 29, 2012, 01:19:45 AM Durango 95 »

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

« #84 : November 29, 2012, 01:21:01 AM »

If the numbers of smokers increase that will inevitably increase the number of people driving with it in their system.  I guess my question is where is that determination made if a major accident occurs.  How would a person defend themselves?

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

« #85 : November 29, 2012, 01:26:41 AM »

If the numbers of smokers increase that will inevitably increase the number of people driving with it in their system.  I guess my question is where is that determination made if a major accident occurs.  How would a person defend themselves?

Nothing changes. The song remains the same. Driving under the influence is not related to legalization.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

« #86 : November 29, 2012, 01:32:26 AM »

I have a hard time not seeing that as part of the process.  A major one.  I see you edited the other post that they can test for the levels in your system.  Pardon my ignorance on this part of it. Can they accurately tell how long it has been since you smoked?  If they couldn't what would keep innocent people from going to jail on simple su**CENSORED**ion and not being able to prove them wrong.   

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

« #87 : November 29, 2012, 01:34:04 AM »

It is well established that alcohol increases accident risk. Evidence of marijuana’s culpability in on-road driving accidents is much less convincing.

Although cannabis intoxication has been shown to mildly impair psychomotor skills, this impairment does not appear to be severe or long lasting. In driving simulator tests, this impairment is typically manifested by subjects decreasing their driving speed and requiring greater time to respond to emergency situations.

Nevertheless, this impairment does not appear to play a significant role in on-road traffic accidents. A 2002 review of seven separate studies involving 7,934 drivers reported, “Crash culpability studies have failed to demonstrate that drivers with cannabinoids in the blood are significantly more likely than drug-free drivers to be culpable in road crashes.” This result is likely because subject under the influence of marijuana are aware of their impairment and compensate for it accordingly, such as by slowing down and by focusing their attention when they know a response will be required. This reaction is just the opposite of that exhibited by drivers under the influence of alcohol, who tend to drive in a more risky manner proportional to their intoxication.

Today, a large body of research exists exploring the impact of marijuana on psychomotor skills and actual driving performance. This research consists of driving simulator studies, on-road performance studies, crash culpability studies, and summary reviews of the existing evidence. To date, the result of this research is fairly consistent: Marijuana has a measurable yet relatively mild effect on psychomotor skills, yet it does not appear to play a significant role in vehicle crashes, particularly when compared to alcohol. Below is a summary of some of the existing data.

http://norml.org/library/item/marijuana-and-driving-a-review-of-the-scientific-evidence

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

« #88 : November 29, 2012, 01:39:20 AM »

Ok, with that posted what I described would be a rare situation but one I would not want to find myself in. 

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

« #89 : November 29, 2012, 01:41:14 AM »

I have a hard time not seeing that as part of the process.  A major one.  I see you edited the other post that they can test for the levels in your system.  Pardon my ignorance on this part of it. Can they accurately tell how long it has been since you smoked?  If they couldn't what would keep innocent people from going to jail on simple su**CENSORED**ion and not being able to prove them wrong.

Not sure what your asking, Bayfisher. I think I've already answered your question . Nothing changes. People who drive under the influence of weed don't cause more accidents than uptight sober drivers. In fact they are usually more cautious and less aggressive on the road.
  Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: just legalize it already « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools