Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: just legalize it already « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14

tripblood

Hall of Famer

#30 : November 28, 2012, 08:21:23 AM

Train wreck is right. Feds do what they want..

They can still suck it though haha amateurs

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Its so hard for me to sit back on this forum, lookin at a guy on here, holler in\' my name!  When last year i spent more on 5 electric bills from this side of the country to the other, than you made! You\'re talkin to the Rolex wearing, diamond earring wearing, kiss-stealin, WOOOO!, wheelin dealin\', CTS drivin, jet-flyin sonofagun.. And I\'m havin a hard time holding these alligators down! WOOOO!

deadzone

Hall of Famer

#31 : November 28, 2012, 12:20:29 PM

No way I want weed legalized,,,,,,,,I gotta make a living............illegally......

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#32 : November 28, 2012, 12:24:14 PM

Train wreck is right. Feds do what they want..

They can still suck it though haha amateurs

*Looks at sig* Where do you stand on this subject tripblood?   :D

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#33 : November 28, 2012, 03:08:31 PM

I have a family member who lives in CA. He was able to get legal marijuana for "migraines." Great guy but changed his life for the negative.  If you put aside the alleged "medical" benefits, which only a few would need (if at all), what is the POSITIVE AFFIRMATIVE argument FOR legalizing pot?  Don't tell me it will do no harm (that's stupid) and don't tell me it will reduce crime (also stupid) what is the POSTIVE reason to add it to society as a legal drug? What independent benefit does it bring?

Give it your best shot. State the case for legal marijuana, other than the same recycled arguments I discussed above.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#34 : November 28, 2012, 05:16:25 PM

i think you massively underestimate the number of Americans on pain medications.  im sure others have the arguments better, but i would guess it would be a monetary plus.  and i would guess it would be a blow to the illegal drug industry.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#35 : November 28, 2012, 05:35:23 PM

i think you massively underestimate the number of Americans on pain medications.  im sure others have the arguments better, but i would guess it would be a monetary plus.  and i would guess it would be a blow to the illegal drug industry.

so marijuana is a better alterntive to pain medications?  (I am asking, I do not know)  I am not sure what monetary plus means and I doubt it would be a blow to the illegal drug industry. Marijuana is a gateway drug and anyway another illegal drug would just take its place, right?

In any event, other than as an a better alternative to pain medications, I am not sure how the others benefit society as a whole and certainly not if you balance it with the negatives associated with marijuana. I don't think there is a compelling positive argument but maybe one of your arguments is, I just dont know

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#36 : November 28, 2012, 05:55:45 PM

so marijuana is a better alterntive to pain medications?  (I am asking, I do not know)  I am not sure what monetary plus means and I doubt it would be a blow to the illegal drug industry. Marijuana is a gateway drug and anyway another illegal drug would just take its place, right?

i would assume marijuana would be a much simpler alternative, but i also do not hold big pharma is high regard.  could marijuana be taxed?  that would certainly be a monetary bonus.  as for the illegal aspects, i dont believe another drug would replace it...marijuana would just be easier to obtain and put a huge dent in the drug trade.

In any event, other than as an a better alternative to pain medications, I am not sure how the others benefit society as a whole and certainly not if you balance it with the negatives associated with marijuana. I don't think there is a compelling positive argument but maybe one of your arguments is, I just dont know
[/i]

what are the negatives to legalizing marijuana?  how does alcohol benefit the society as a whole?  how does the lottery?  how does fast food?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#37 : November 28, 2012, 06:01:15 PM

Vince, I think the reason that most of the arguments feel recycled is that the negatives associated with prohibition are well known.  Prohibition drives the black market, illegal trade and thus the problems that come with it(don't think we need to relist these).  The benefits of legalization come from denying the profiteers of this black market and the costs of law enforcement/incarceration that come with prohibition.  Marijuana is no more a gateway drug than cigarettes or alcohol, and by taxing sales of the drug, money can be raised to counter negative effects on society.  I don't think you will see other illegal drugs "take it's place", because other illicit drugs do not have the same effect as marijuana.  People don't use marijuana simply because it is illegal.  If that was the case, we should make all drugs legal, so no one will ever use them.

Are there negative effects to using marijuana, sure, as with any drug.  If the perfect drug existed, it would be issued by the government to pacify the citizens while keeping productivity high(pun not originally intended).
The negative effects of prohibition outweigh the negatives associated with legalization.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer
#38 : November 28, 2012, 06:02:04 PM

How would they keep all of the judges, clerks, bailiffs, wardens and officers employed? Too much money is involved to change.  Especially when the WH is trying to throw broccoli down kids throats.  No mixed messages there. How does alcohol benefit society besides for cooking?

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#39 : November 28, 2012, 06:02:22 PM

GT - you could add most reality TV to your list of things with no positive effect on society, if not actually very damaging.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#40 : November 28, 2012, 06:07:59 PM

what are the negatives to legalizing marijuana?  how does alcohol benefit the society as a whole?  how does the lottery?  how does fast food?

I am not trying to be argumentative. It's an interesting topic, but that response^^^ illustrates my point really.  The best (or maybe the most common) argument for legalizing marijuana is "ok yeah, well look at all the other bad stuff that is legal."  That is an awful argument  (GT-- I dont mean an awful argument by you so no offense, I just mean that its not very compelling when people make that argument because that is not a reason to do it)
: November 28, 2012, 06:13:50 PM VinBucFan

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#41 : November 28, 2012, 06:13:10 PM

The benefits of legalization come from denying the profiteers of this black market and the costs of law enforcement/incarceration that come with prohibition. 

That would not happen though because once marijuana was legal, another drug like cocaine would just fill the void and the cost of incarceration could just be chnaged with laws short of making it legal.

Again, I am not trying to be argumentative. I certainly recognize there is another point of view, but do this, look at the responses since I asked for someone to give me an affirmative positive reason to make it legal.  All of the responses are, essentially, "what's the harm" or "well, other bad things exist that are legal" or "we might as well control it"  I get those arguments, but what is the POSITIVE benefit OF THE DRUG not of the legalization?  What positive benefit to society does the DRUG offer that is not outweighed by the negatives?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#42 : November 28, 2012, 07:03:12 PM

Hey Look!  Another thread PBCBoy is bored in.

#PatheticLiar

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#43 : November 28, 2012, 07:11:21 PM

Hey Look!  Another thread PBCBoy is bored in.

#PatheticLiar

you sure are objectively angry Buggsy

Mr. Milich

Hall of Famer
#44 : November 28, 2012, 07:31:11 PM

I have a family member who lives in CA. He was able to get legal marijuana for "migraines." Great guy but changed his life for the negative.  If you put aside the alleged "medical" benefits, which only a few would need (if at all), what is the POSITIVE AFFIRMATIVE argument FOR legalizing pot?  Don't tell me it will do no harm (that's stupid) and don't tell me it will reduce crime (also stupid) what is the POSTIVE reason to add it to society as a legal drug? What independent benefit does it bring?

Give it your best shot. State the case for legal marijuana, other than the same recycled arguments I discussed above.

Troll post.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: just legalize it already « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools