Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: just legalize it already « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#45 : November 28, 2012, 07:36:51 PM

what are the negatives to legalizing marijuana?  how does alcohol benefit the society as a whole?  how does the lottery?  how does fast food?

I am not trying to be argumentative. It's an interesting topic, but that response^^^ illustrates my point really.  The best (or maybe the most common) argument for legalizing marijuana is "ok yeah, well look at all the other bad stuff that is legal."  That is an awful argument  (GT-- I dont mean an awful argument by you so no offense, I just mean that its not very compelling when people make that argument because that is not a reason to do it)

oh i agree, it certainly not the argument, but it is valid.  but you have seem to have glossed over a couple of strong reasons already, so it seems you are pretty closed on this.

but really, what are the negatives?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#46 : November 28, 2012, 07:40:38 PM

The benefits of legalization come from denying the profiteers of this black market and the costs of law enforcement/incarceration that come with prohibition. 

That would not happen though because once marijuana was legal, another drug like cocaine would just fill the void and the cost of incarceration could just be chnaged with laws short of making it legal.

which void are you referring to? 

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#47 : November 28, 2012, 07:42:09 PM

The benefits of legalization come from denying the profiteers of this black market and the costs of law enforcement/incarceration that come with prohibition. 

That would not happen though because once marijuana was legal, another drug like cocaine would just fill the void and the cost of incarceration could just be chnaged with laws short of making it legal.

which void are you referring to?
please don't encourage it.

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#48 : November 28, 2012, 07:52:00 PM

what are the negatives to legalizing marijuana?  how does alcohol benefit the society as a whole?  how does the lottery?  how does fast food?

I am not trying to be argumentative. It's an interesting topic, but that response^^^ illustrates my point really.  The best (or maybe the most common) argument for legalizing marijuana is "ok yeah, well look at all the other bad stuff that is legal."  That is an awful argument  (GT-- I dont mean an awful argument by you so no offense, I just mean that its not very compelling when people make that argument because that is not a reason to do it)

oh i agree, it certainly not the argument, but it is valid.  but you have seem to have glossed over a couple of strong reasons already, so it seems you are pretty closed on this.

but really, what are the negatives?

I am not closed to it at all.  You said I glossed over a couple of strong reasons? Did anybody post a reason why the drug is so beneficial to society that it should be legalized? that was my question. Some people posted arguments why LEGALIZATION would be good, but my question was the drug.  The closest I saw was your guess that it might be a good alternative pain killer. Did I miss something?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#49 : November 28, 2012, 08:00:32 PM

I am not closed to it at all.  You said I glossed over a couple of strong reasons? Did anybody post a reason why the drug is so beneficial to society that it should be legalized? that was my question. Some people posted arguments why LEGALIZATION would be good, but my question was the drug.  The closest I saw was your guess that it might be a good alternative pain killer. Did I miss something?

again, not sure what you are looking to find.  marijuana has provided relief to numerous patients, usually at a fraction of the cost and long term dependence.  what more do you want from the drug?  i dont think the FDA is allowing research?  ive heard many people say it alleviates anxiety as well.

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
#50 : November 28, 2012, 08:10:20 PM

Do some research and stop asking ignorant questions.

Hard for me to believe someone could be this far out of touch.

Please tell me he's baiting. Please.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#51 : November 28, 2012, 08:16:58 PM

again, not sure what you are looking to find.  marijuana has provided relief to numerous patients, usually at a fraction of the cost and long term dependence.  what more do you want from the drug?  i dont think the FDA is allowing research?  ive heard many people say it alleviates anxiety as well.

I think marijuana has a dubious record as a medicine, but even if it does have some medical use I am still not sure that justifies legalizing it.  Arent most of those expensive pain killers you are going to replace illegal to possess without a prescription?

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#52 : November 28, 2012, 08:24:46 PM

I think marijuana has a dubious record as a medicine, but even if it does have some medical use I am still not sure that justifies legalizing it.
so what justifies the "illegal"  classification and why is it convenient for you to support federal government involvement in what a farmer can and cannot grow?

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#53 : November 28, 2012, 08:25:09 PM

My Conservative argument for legalizing weed:  regulate it and tax the hell out of it to pay off the debt.

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
#54 : November 28, 2012, 08:32:55 PM

My Conservative argument for legalizing weed:  regulate it and tax the hell out of it to pay off the debt.

No reason it can't be taxed.

Not sure about taxing the hell out of anything...that is counter to a conservative position.

But yes taxed at the same rate as alcohol or tobacco is appropriate.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#55 : November 28, 2012, 08:44:17 PM

still no one posting the virtue of marijuana. lots of talk of the benefits of legalizing it, but what benefit does the drug offer that makes it worth it when most drugs are illegal?

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#56 : November 28, 2012, 08:49:04 PM

still no one posting the virtue of marijuana. lots of talk of the benefits of legalizing it, but what benefit does the drug offer that makes it worth it when most drugs are illegal?
No matter what anyone says you will still have the "Reefer Madness" mentality.  You haven't figured that out yet? 

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#57 : November 28, 2012, 08:55:10 PM

No matter what anyone says you will still have the "Reefer Madness" mentality.  You haven't figured that out yet?

well, I see it, but I keep waiting (in vain) for someone to acknowledge what you call "reefer madness" mentality.  Guess that is asking too much. The simple hurdle I cannot get over in the argument is why? why marijuana? I certainly understand the tax it control it idea, but I still dont get it beyond what you call the "Reefer Madness" mentality.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#58 : November 28, 2012, 08:59:08 PM

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
#59 : November 28, 2012, 09:02:25 PM

He's trolling.

Looking for any attention he can get on a board that he claims he has no interest in.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: just legalize it already « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools