Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Buccaneers winning, but fans lose as low attendance blacks out games « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #30 : November 13, 2012, 12:40:49 PM »

I dont think so either but they continue to play exciting offensive football and nobody shows up then they are a very attractive to LA representatives. You never know.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

« #31 : November 13, 2012, 12:42:55 PM »

I still think the economy has a lot to do with it.

Many of my Buc fan friends claim they would go, especially now, but can't spare the funds.

Such a bull crap excuse. Really is. Your telling me your friend can't cut $30 somewhere else in his budget to be able to get to a game?

It costs literally 2-3 times that amount to get into a Giants game. They have no problem selling out. Trust me friend NY isn't doing anyone any favors, they take more money from their tax paying residents at every turn.

Bottom line is this. If you're broke, you're broke. If you aren't completely broke you go to the game if you're a fan. Florida's economy crashed before NY and is recovering before NY. I'd eat hotdogs all week if I could see a buc game for $30.

There are over 8 million people in the 5 boroughs alone.   around 20 million in the metropolitan area.  compare that to around 4 million in the tampa bay area and let's not even discuss the vast difference in corporate $$$$$.  you're comparing apples to oranges.

Not saying you're wrong, but there is some legitimacy to BucNY's claim.  Two things you're not be factoring in is that #1.. the stadium is in Jersey, not New York.  While even just to Times Square, it about 10 miles away, you're talking a minmum of the 30 minutes drive time... on a normal day.  I get that every team has fans that are traveling, but how many have such a large group coming over bridges, through tunnels, and via subway system?  All of these cause extra traffic/waiting or what have you.  Just to get to a Giants game, most fans from NY have to leave at 8 am, just get there in a reasonable time before kickoff.  Sure, tailgaters do that all the time, but not all fans are tailgaters.  #2... You may not realize this, but there's this other team in Jersey called the Jets.  They have fans in there too.  Also, the Eagles are only an hour away as well.  So, while while there could 25-30 million people in the area, you'd have to allow that they are evenly split among the 3 teams.  So at most, you're talking about 10 million per team.  So, while agree with you that the Giants have a bigger fan base than the Bucs... it's possibly only 2.5 times greater, not 8 to 10 times greater.
again, nyers commute a long distance/time on a regular basis.   I went to a Bucs/Giants game a few years ago and it took no more than an hour for me to get to the Meadowlands via public transportation.   Again there are 8 million + in the boroughs alone and there is a ton of corporate support.  It's apples to oranges any way you slice it.  And you are smoking something if you think there is an equal split between giant, jet, and eagle fans in that area.

However you want to look at it... go ahead.  I only live up here, but what do I know.  It's not a perfect 3-way split, no... but it's not 60% Giants either.  It's probably closer to 40% Giants and 35% Jets and 25% Eagles.  Again, I didn't say you were wrong, just that you aren't are right as you think you are.  Also, that corporate support that you are thinking "there is a ton of corporate support", you're wrong.  There's significantly less now and over the past 5 years than there has been... even with the new stadium.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #32 : November 13, 2012, 12:44:37 PM »

Its amazing. Sports is the only product were customers are blamed for not supporting it. Yet no one blames the NFL half as much for the blackout rules than they do fans. How backwards is that.

Edit: I am also surprised fans not talking about companies buying tickets. I am sure they use to help games sellout.

Agree, they can kick their fans in the nads for several years, but finally spend some money, hire some competent coaches, and put a solid product on the field and the fans are supposed to come running back in that season.  Sounds like quite the dysfunctional relationship to me.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #33 : November 13, 2012, 12:45:56 PM »

I dont think so either but they continue to play exciting offensive football and nobody shows up then they are a very attractive to LA representatives. You never know.

Yeah because LA has always supported their football teams.   We sold out for 12-13 straight seasons.   The team isn't going anywhere anytime soon, the Glazers are making a killing here

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #34 : November 13, 2012, 12:50:21 PM »

I still think the economy has a lot to do with it.

Many of my Buc fan friends claim they would go, especially now, but can't spare the funds.

Such a bull crap excuse. Really is. Your telling me your friend can't cut $30 somewhere else in his budget to be able to get to a game?

It costs literally 2-3 times that amount to get into a Giants game. They have no problem selling out. Trust me friend NY isn't doing anyone any favors, they take more money from their tax paying residents at every turn.

Bottom line is this. If you're broke, you're broke. If you aren't completely broke you go to the game if you're a fan. Florida's economy crashed before NY and is recovering before NY. I'd eat hotdogs all week if I could see a buc game for $30.

There are over 8 million people in the 5 boroughs alone.   around 20 million in the metropolitan area.  compare that to around 4 million in the tampa bay area and let's not even discuss the vast difference in corporate $$$$$.  you're comparing apples to oranges.

Not saying you're wrong, but there is some legitimacy to BucNY's claim.  Two things you're not be factoring in is that #1.. the stadium is in Jersey, not New York.  While even just to Times Square, it about 10 miles away, you're talking a minmum of the 30 minutes drive time... on a normal day.  I get that every team has fans that are traveling, but how many have such a large group coming over bridges, through tunnels, and via subway system?  All of these cause extra traffic/waiting or what have you.  Just to get to a Giants game, most fans from NY have to leave at 8 am, just get there in a reasonable time before kickoff.  Sure, tailgaters do that all the time, but not all fans are tailgaters.  #2... You may not realize this, but there's this other team in Jersey called the Jets.  They have fans in there too.  Also, the Eagles are only an hour away as well.  So, while while there could 25-30 million people in the area, you'd have to allow that they are evenly split among the 3 teams.  So at most, you're talking about 10 million per team.  So, while agree with you that the Giants have a bigger fan base than the Bucs... it's possibly only 2.5 times greater, not 8 to 10 times greater.
again, nyers commute a long distance/time on a regular basis.   I went to a Bucs/Giants game a few years ago and it took no more than an hour for me to get to the Meadowlands via public transportation.   Again there are 8 million + in the boroughs alone and there is a ton of corporate support.  It's apples to oranges any way you slice it.  And you are smoking something if you think there is an equal split between giant, jet, and eagle fans in that area.

However you want to look at it... go ahead.  I only live up here, but what do I know.  It's not a perfect 3-way split, no... but it's not 60% Giants either.  It's probably closer to 40% Giants and 35% Jets and 25% Eagles.  Again, I didn't say you were wrong, just that you aren't are right as you think you are.  Also, that corporate support that you are thinking "there is a ton of corporate support", you're wrong.  There's significantly less now and over the past 5 years than there has been... even with the new stadium.

lol, there is a TON more corporate support than in Tampa Bay.  There are also a ton more highly paid individuals.   It's ridiculous to even compare the two areas.    As for your made up split of fans, even if there are ONLY 40% Giants fans that is about 10 million in the area compared to the 4-5 million people in the Tampa Bay area.  You think all those people in the Tampa area are Bucs fans?   apples to oranges

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #35 : November 13, 2012, 12:51:00 PM »

Hope your right. I just think having the games on TV increases the buzz around the team and that is what keeps up the sell outs. Winning is what its all about though.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #36 : November 13, 2012, 01:33:03 PM »

Agree, they can kick their fans in the nads for several years, but finally spend some money, hire some competent coaches, and put a solid product on the field and the fans are supposed to come running back in that season.  Sounds like quite the dysfunctional relationship to me.

we've been over this to death, but oh well.  were fans kicked in the nads during raheems 10-6 season?  were they kicked in the nads when raheem and dominik decided to spend boatloads of money on quincy black and davin joseph?

also not sure what kind of "relationship" you expect with the owner.  theyve got a good product on the field.  if you need to wait a few years to get over some sort of pent up ownership hate, you might miss the good years.  dynasties dont come easy.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #37 : November 13, 2012, 01:46:27 PM »

Raheem Morris wishes Bucs would have spent when he was there

There’s reason for Morris to feel bitter if he wanted to, as the moment he walked out the door the Bucs started spending serious cash on veteran free agents. On the day they dropped $140 million worth of contracts on Vincent Jackson, Carl Nicks and Eric Wright, Morris sent a text to Bucs GM Mark Dominik.

“I gave him some nice choice words,” Morris said. “But he was great about it. He laughed. He said he knew he was going to get this phone message. …

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/29/raheem-morris-wishes-bucs-would-have-spent-when-he-was-there/

JohnBuc06

Starter

« #38 : November 13, 2012, 02:20:52 PM »

Raheem Morris wishes Bucs would have spent when he was there

There’s reason for Morris to feel bitter if he wanted to, as the moment he walked out the door the Bucs started spending serious cash on veteran free agents. On the day they dropped $140 million worth of contracts on Vincent Jackson, Carl Nicks and Eric Wright, Morris sent a text to Bucs GM Mark Dominik.

“I gave him some nice choice words,” Morris said. “But he was great about it. He laughed. He said he knew he was going to get this phone message. …

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/29/raheem-morris-wishes-bucs-would-have-spent-when-he-was-there/

Dom should have responded "if only you held the guys accountable you may have stayed here to enjoy the FA signings"

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
« #39 : November 13, 2012, 02:45:35 PM »

If, as many have implied, Tampa is Detroit south, economically, how is it they sell out every game?

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

JohnBuc06

Starter

« #40 : November 13, 2012, 02:57:05 PM »

If, as many have implied, Tampa is Detroit south, economically, how is it they sell out every game?

Simple (IMO) ...longevity and being built into the fabric of the city ...which means multiple generations supporting that team ...the child learns to support his Father's team, which was HIS Father's team, which was HIS Father's team and so on (not forgetting all the great female football fans but you get my point).  Plus not too many folks relocate to Detroit and continue to support their hometown team.  I know the Buc's have been around 35 or so years but when you factor in the transplant makeup of the area and really only 12-13 years of competive football through that period it makes perfect sense why the team doesn't have the built in hard core base that other cities have.

Here's a good question ...what if the winning/losing percentages for the Buc's where flipped?  Say in the 35 years they only had 12-13 years of poor football instead of the other way around ...would the team have the current apathy from the overall community it does now?

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
« #41 : November 13, 2012, 03:54:12 PM »

Simple (IMO) ...longevity and being built into the fabric of the city ...which means multiple generations supporting that team ...the child learns to support his Father's team, which was HIS Father's team, which was HIS Father's team and so on (not forgetting all the great female football fans but you get my point).  Plus not too many folks relocate to Detroit and continue to support their hometown team.  I know the Buc's have been around 35 or so years but when you factor in the transplant makeup of the area and really only 12-13 years of competive football through that period it makes perfect sense why the team doesn't have the built in hard core base that other cities have.

Here's a good question ...what if the winning/losing percentages for the Buc's where flipped?  Say in the 35 years they only had 12-13 years of poor football instead of the other way around ...would the team have the current apathy from the overall community it does now?

The Bucs are the fabric of the city and this has always been a football town. At the same time, this has always been an "event" fanbase. If the Bucs are the "In thing" to do, those type of fans will show up to be seen. If they are struggling or the focus isn't really on them - they won't go.

I think the decade long of sellouts spoiled a lot of folks in this fanbase. They got out of the routine of enjoying the game at the ballpark and decided it was more fun to watch them on the tube with your beer, your friends and your big screen TV/surround sound system.

It didn't help that the Glazers price gouged right when the inevitable downturn of the team occurred.

They burned a lot of bridges and some people have swore them off all together.

It's like I said before, there's no place I'd rather be than Raymond James Stadium watching the Bucs kicks some backside on a Sunday.  But that's me. I know it's not for everyone.

Hopefully as the economy improves the local companies will begin to add the Bucs to their incentive programs.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #42 : November 13, 2012, 03:57:17 PM »

Does anyone know (because I do not) when did the Bucs attendance pick up relative to the Glazer take over?  I know a new stadium skews things but in terms of the success of the team is it fair to say attendance grew more rapidly in 96 and 97 (ie after some success)?  Maybe you cant really draw any parallel because of a new stadium and economy difference, but just a thought

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #43 : November 13, 2012, 04:12:28 PM »

if you need to wait a few years to get over some sort of pent up ownership hate, you might miss the good years. 

^^ that

Cutting off one's nose to spite the face comes to mind!! Amazing that so many choose to dwell in the past!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #44 : November 13, 2012, 04:31:16 PM »

Let 'em go.

Besides, the way LA supports their football teams, the LA Bucs will feel like they never left TB.
  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Buccaneers winning, but fans lose as low attendance blacks out games « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools