Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I think its safe to say mccoy is a bust !! « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

jhop88

Hall of Famer

#60 : November 15, 2012, 10:18:27 PM

Am I wrong to say that McCoy was making more plays earlier in the season?

No, but he has been seeing a few more double teams since the first 3 games when he had 3 sacks. He sort of disappeared in the Oakland game, but he came back strong last week with 2 QB hits and 4 QB hurries.

The Giants game is the one that sticks out...he was a beast in that game.

He drilled the sh*t out of Romo several times in the Cowboys game...and his penetration in the run game was insane. He also did a good job in the Panthers game. He seemed to be in Cam's face all day and let two sacks get away from him.

Yea, he was really good in those games as well. Like I said, seems like he dominated more early on.

Yea, I still think he has made his presence felt, even though he isn't getting his hands on the QB. Our run D would be nowhere near where it is now without GMC. I also think Sheridan needs to stop trying to be cute with GMC. Stop having him run stunts and let him blast though the interior OL and wreak havoc.

True...and he's said the same a few times this season...hopefully he can help keep Newton in check on Sunday.

rwg8823

Second String

#61 : November 15, 2012, 11:51:42 PM

amazing out of the 1,500 views no one could say anything more then "oh he gets QB pressures and helps in the run game " his job per SAPP is to destroy the run game and get sacks ...get up field and make tackles ..and since hes been here he has not done that. i have given him props in the past for great games against the panthers and giants.. but since no one could give me stats heres some for all u posters against my OP. right now he has 18 tackles and 3 sacks that ranks him behind guys like fletcher cox,jonathan babineaux,letroy guion(who),sedrick ellis,vincent wilfork and many others....guys that right now are doubling his stats linval joseph,haloti ngata dwan edwards,brandon mebane,justin smith. so my point is as a number#3 pick overall after 2 injury filled season and a year in which his stats are in the lower third of all DT. to say hes not a bust is insane the guy should be a game changer. tell SAPP its cause hes double teamed and that teams are game planning around him .... the guy needs to do more then just draw a double team. so in closing my only point is as the third overall pick he should be better..going back to that draft would u take him over guys like earl thomas,JPP,gronk?? guys that were drafted after him that are impact players!! thats my point just wait youll see he will never be GREAT

bucsquad

Pro Bowler

#62 : November 16, 2012, 12:06:59 AM

amazing out of the 1,500 views no one could say anything more then "oh he gets QB pressures and helps in the run game " his job per SAPP is to destroy the run game and get sacks ...get up field and make tackles ..and since hes been here he has not done that. i have given him props in the past for great games against the panthers and giants.. but since no one could give me stats heres some for all u posters against my OP. right now he has 18 tackles and 3 sacks that ranks him behind guys like fletcher cox,jonathan babineaux,letroy guion(who),sedrick ellis,vincent wilfork and many others....guys that right now are doubling his stats linval joseph,haloti ngata dwan edwards,brandon mebane,justin smith. so my point is as a number#3 pick overall after 2 injury filled season and a year in which his stats are in the lower third of all DT. to say hes not a bust is insane the guy should be a game changer. tell SAPP its cause hes double teamed and that teams are game planning around him .... the guy needs to do more then just draw a double team. so in closing my only point is as the third overall pick he should be better..going back to that draft would u take him over guys like earl thomas,JPP,gronk?? guys that were drafted after him that are impact players!! thats my point just wait youll see he will never be GREAT
This is annoys me so bad. I'm a big of all 3 of these players but none of these guys were top 3 prospect material going into the draft.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#63 : November 16, 2012, 12:09:58 AM

thanks for further proving youre a tard. PFF(who opinion I dont put a ton of stock into but are fairly accurate) have him rated as the 18th best pass rusher in the NFL. Thats a stat. QB hurries are a stat as well, but you choose to ignore them. None of those guys you listed are doubling his sacks. Also, Ill remind you that the best pass rushing DTs each year hover around 6 sacks for the season. Youll have a guy who maybe once or twice a decade eclipses the 8 sack mark. The Bucs have the #1 run defense, so apparently his presence is felt. Hes also constantly getting up field.

So the guy is doing everything you say hes not because you feeble mind cant grasp anything other than the tackle stats from NFL.com.

I didnt know people could know so little about football and call themselves a fan.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

rwg8823

Second String

#64 : November 16, 2012, 12:38:37 AM

so little about football?? lol buddy i forgot more then u know.... ive played football and currently coach high school football.. u insult my football knowledge because i think mccoy should be playing better?/? i am not discounting QB hurries but u have to get sackes and tackles to be great !! all i am saying is he hasnt lived up to the hype of a #3 ..and i am not alone just ask sapp,beckles,booger etc, 2 injury filled season and a sub par year.. and if you think he alone is making this run D great your crazy.. its more about the scheme and LB, the fact we run alot of stunts is huge . if you knew anything about D or football you know the LB play has played a bigger role in this run D being better then mccoy

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#65 : November 16, 2012, 02:25:50 AM

so little about football?? lol buddy i forgot more then u know

Only way to figure this out for sure is for you to list everything you've forgotten about football and then have Tat list everything he knows and see which list is longer. I need a ruling, though. Does Tat get to also factor what he has forgotten or just what he has retained? I only ask because you get to count forgotten knowledge.

Good luck to you both.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#66 : November 16, 2012, 07:32:04 AM

so little about football?? lol buddy i forgot more then u know.... ive played football and currently coach high school football.. u insult my football knowledge because i think mccoy should be playing better?/? i am not discounting QB hurries but u have to get sackes and tackles to be great !! all i am saying is he hasnt lived up to the hype of a #3 ..and i am not alone just ask sapp,beckles,booger etc, 2 injury filled season and a sub par year.. and if you think he alone is making this run D great your crazy.. its more about the scheme and LB, the fact we run alot of stunts is huge . if you knew anything about D or football you know the LB play has played a bigger role in this run D being better then mccoy

I'm inclined to say you are lying about being a HS football coach.

For how DTs around the league play, McCoy is having close to an All-Pro season. Sacks are the sexy stat, but the dude gets QB hurries, and he not only draws double teams, he beats them. Sacks totals are more of a DE stat than a DT stat. If you are looking for a DT who gets double digit stats every year, then good luck, because that is honestly a one in a decade(or two) type player. Yes, it sucks that he got injured his first two years, but to call this year "sub par", you obviously have a vendetta against the guy. No he alone is not making this run D #1, but he is a major contributor. Funny that you mentioned the scheme. The scheme works against GMC's strengths as a DLmen. He has elite burst/get off. When you make him run stunts you take away that ability to blow sh*t up. You wanna know why the LB play is up?..because the big men up front are eating up all the lead blockers that would be getting to the next level and getting their hands on the LBs. Most of the time, LBs are getting clear paths right to the ball carrier.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#67 : November 16, 2012, 08:17:26 AM

Amuses me the downright violent reaction on this board to anyone who dare have a critical word to say about Girly Man.

If only McCoy played that violently....

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#68 : November 16, 2012, 08:40:13 AM

"Girly Man". Is that because you think he plays girly? Or because of the injuries?

I wouldn't call his play violent. I would say disruptive.

...and this thread is more than a criticism of GMC. A thread that was wanting to be critical in a fair manner would be "GMC seems to have disappeared"...but this thread is meant to label him a bust and tell people how wrong they are about GMC, rather than have an honest discussion about his play.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#69 : November 16, 2012, 08:42:16 AM

In case the OP hasn't noticed, and he apparently hasn't, we don't run a lot of tampa 2 around here anymore. This defense is not the defense that Sapp was in and thus the role of the 3 technique played in 2002 is not the role that we ask Gerald McCoy to play.

Let's also look at what happened. Since AC went down, check out our number of sacks. Check out McCoy's number of sacks. See a correlation? Maybe? No, not really? Oh well okay then. AC wasn't having a great year but he was drawing a lot of attention on pass plays as he was our leading sacker last year. I like DTN but he isn't the pass rush force that AC is. When we had AC we they had to defend both ends and our 3 technique. Now they just role pass pro toward GMAC and Bennette and things work out pretty well.

Don't be so dumb, honestly. If you are looking for stats, you are never going to be happy with McCoy. Do not be confused he IS the centerpiece in this defense and he IS/WAS the right pick at #3 in his draft.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#70 : November 16, 2012, 09:14:56 AM

...and this thread is more than a criticism of GMC. A thread that was wanting to be critical in a fair manner would be "GMC seems to have disappeared"...but this thread is meant to label him a bust and tell people how wrong they are about GMC, rather than have an honest discussion about his play.

no kidding.  the OP has backed off his thread title in recent posts also.  just own it that you mistitled the thread?  GMC isnt the best ever DT, even though he was drafted high.  once we can get past that, we can realize he is a pretty good DT.

i do find it odd that a coach wouldnt realize that the LB's can play much better because they dont have to worry about OG's...and that one player is the sole reason for a team run defense.  i also find it odd you quote beckles and booger, one of the biggest busts of all time with your stats category.

im not a HS coach - how do stunts help with run defense?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Mayhem41

Practice Squad

#71 : November 16, 2012, 11:46:09 AM

I've been around a TON of H.S. coaches that have no idea what they're doing. Attended many practices where my jaw would literally go agape at the sheer incompetence..... and I'm being dead serious.

In closing, even if you are a H.S. coach that means virtually nothing in determining your football acumen.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#72 : November 16, 2012, 11:50:12 AM

lmao @ saying he is HS coach so he knows football. Big flippin deal. I bet any NFL coach will take you pressure is as a good as a sack most of the time. It forces bad passes by QBs and makes them get happy feet. Mccoy is getting double teams which frees up guys like Bennett to get 1v1 match ups. Also sorry to tell you this, but our DEs rank pretty high in the NFL in run stop %. AND without a DL controlling the OL, your never going to get the LBs through to make plays. So keep coaching at your Division 5 HS with not enough people to play offense and defense

Mayhem41

Practice Squad

#73 : November 16, 2012, 11:58:48 AM

no kidding.  the OP has backed off his thread title in recent posts also.  just own it that you mistitled the thread?  GMC isnt the best ever DT, even though he was drafted high.  once we can get past that, we can realize he is a pretty good DT.

i do find it odd that a coach wouldnt realize that the LB's can play much better because they dont have to worry about OG's...and that one player is the sole reason for a team run defense.  i also find it odd you quote beckles and booger, one of the biggest busts of all time with your stats category.

im not a HS coach - how do stunts help with run defense?

They don't...., good point. Games (stunts) are only run on obvious passing downs as they mess up your run fits. Our HS coach is either a liar or incompetent, like I said.

Also enjoy how many in here are comparing GMC to Sapp, who will be wearing a yellow jacket very soon. Not very fair, IMO.

McBarron

Pro Bowler

#74 : November 16, 2012, 12:04:26 PM

I've been around a TON of H.S. coaches that have no idea what they're doing. Attended many practices where my jaw would literally go agape at the sheer incompetence..... and I'm being dead serious.

In closing, even if you are a H.S. coach that means virtually nothing in determining your football acumen.

LOL.......SO SO SO SO SO TRUE!!!!!

During my HS playing days (going Al Bundy on you fools) here in Hillsborough County, my coach would have (2) white guys (alternating between plays as play-runners) playing WR only on running plays (which was 80% of the time). Anytime, he wanted to call a pass play, he would take out the white guy and send in a black guy. And then EVERYTIME, the same route would be run: a FLY route.

I can't make this crap up.

Page: 1 ... 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I think its safe to say mccoy is a bust !! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools