Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Defense still wary of Panthers QB Cam Newton « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : November 15, 2012, 12:39:31 AM »

Bucs notes: Defense still wary of Panthers QB Cam Newton

By IRA KAUFMAN | The Tampa Tribune
Published:  November 14, 2012 - 6:55 PM

TAMPA --

Although the statistics suggest Panthers QB Cam Newton is suffering through a sophomore slump, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers defense prefers to look beyond the numbers.

The 2011 offensive rookie of the year is the 16th-rated passer in the NFC as Carolina takes a 2-7 record into Sunday's home matchup against Tampa Bay.

Newton has thrown eight touchdown passes and 10 interceptions and his sullen body language on the sideline prompted a rebuke from veteran receiver Steve Smith early in the season.

"He's trying to make plays,'' Bucs MLB Mason Foster said of Newton, who leads the Panthers with 354 rushing yards. "They say he holds the ball too long, but there's probably two other plays he's making that are amazing, breaking tackles. All of that comes with it. Cam's a big-time player. He's going to take hits and give up fumbles, but he's also going to make big, amazing plays.''

The Bucs intercepted Newton twice in the Sept. 9 season opener, limiting Carolina to only 10 rushing yards in a 16-10 triumph.

While the Panthers have scored 28 or more points only twice this season, the Bucs have reached that plateau in five consecutive games, setting a franchise record.

"I don't think your confidence level can ever go down when you're the No. 1 pick in the draft,'' Bucs DE Michael Bennett said of Newton, who won the Heisman Trophy at Auburn. "He makes some mistakes, but he can also make an explosive play at any time.''

Moving on up

The Bucs promoted DE Markus White from the practice squad to the 53-man roster and signed LB Joe Holland to the practice squad.

White was selected in the seventh round of the 2011 draft by the Redskins and played two games as a rookie. He played in one game this season before the Redskins waived him a month ago.

Holland, who had 94 tackles at Purdue last season, spent time with the 49ers and Dolphins this year.

Keeping the faith

Tampa Bay dropped three of its first four games under first-year head coach Greg Schiano, testing the resolve of a team that ended the 2011 season on a 10-game losing streak.

"It was a different type of atmosphere than last year because we were so close,'' said DT Gerald McCoy, pointing to the average margin of defeat of five points in the 1-3 start. "We knew we had little things to tweak and figure out, and we're still figuring things out, but we're winning those games now.''

With four wins in the past five weeks, the Bucs have an opportunity to return from Charlotte with a 6-4 mark before playing host to NFC South leader Atlanta.

"We're finishing off on offense and defense,'' said WR Mike Williams. "That's been the difference around here.''

No stone unturned

The forecast for Charlotte on Sunday calls for a temperature of 56 degrees and a good chance of rain and drizzle.

In preparation, Bucs receivers coach P.J. Fleck utilized soggy footballs in Wednesday's practice to simulate potential game conditions.

"Coach Fleck had us dipping the balls in water,'' Williams said. "I think it's a good idea because the footballs are going to be that wet if it's raining on Sunday.''

Extra points

Bucs RG Jamon Meredith appeared to suffer a left ankle injury during Wednesday's practice and his status for Sunday is uncertain. Bennett and LG Jeremy Zuttah missed practice with shoulder injuries. …Former Bucs CB Aqib Talib practiced for the first time with New England Wednesday, wearing No. 31 instead of No. 25. …In 19 career games against Tampa Bay, WR Steve Smith has 86 catches for 1,250 yards and six touchdowns. …Since moving from outside linebacker to middle linebacker in Week 5, Panthers rookie Luke Kuechly is averaging 15 tackles per game.

Ira Kaufman

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #1 : November 15, 2012, 04:08:34 AM »

I would worry about any divisional game. Especially if you've already played them and won in the first match-up.

If they let cam get into any kind of groove, he can burn our secondary easy.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #2 : November 15, 2012, 06:05:48 AM »

I don't think Cam is all that much better than Freeman.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #3 : November 15, 2012, 08:30:35 AM »

Cam cannot beat us with his legs. That is what people worry about with him. Breaking the pocket and making throws on the run. He is a good passer but isn't likely to beat us with the pass, he throws to many INTs for that. Non the less they are 2-7 but with several very close losses to very good teams.

I would not expect a 3 TD win going into road trip.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #4 : November 15, 2012, 02:33:32 PM »

It would be just the Bucs luck that Cam and the Panthers choose this week to turn it around.  But hopefully the Bucs win, and it would be nice to see some sort of defensive effort, like holding them to 7 or 10.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #5 : November 15, 2012, 02:37:46 PM »

Cam struggled vs our defense last game. It will be interesting to see how he does this second time around. Looking forward to watching it.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #6 : November 15, 2012, 03:09:09 PM »

It would be just the Bucs luck that Cam and the Panthers choose this week to turn it around.  But hopefully the Bucs win, and it would be nice to see some sort of defensive effort, like holding them to 7 or 10.

This is starting to feel like a trap game.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
« #7 : November 15, 2012, 06:59:21 PM »

As bad as the Bucs secondary is they need to be wary of every NFL QB with the exception of any NY Jets QB. I think lots of points will be scored this Sunday.

Formerly known as T

I\'ll be optimistic until I see a reason not to be

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #8 : November 15, 2012, 07:20:52 PM »

This is starting to feel like a trap game.

Exactly.  I find myself looking ahead to the Broncos game, but this game is next, so take them one at a time.  Could be a big day for Dougie, their secondary is decent, but run defense not so much.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Defense still wary of Panthers QB Cam Newton « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools