Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sullivan's game plan was poor « previous next »
Page: 1 2

traew01

Pro Bowler

: November 18, 2012, 09:40:45 PM

I had a feeling it was going to be a long day when the Bucs had 2nd and 2 on the opening series, and followed it with 2 incomplete passes.

Look - I cannot complain too much re: Sullivan because his offense has set offensive records this season. But I feel like he is getting a little too confident in Freeman and the big chunks of yards - and forgets that he has a superstar running back who can break off long runs at any time. The more times Martin gets the ball, the more chances he is going to reel off some big ones.

I felt like Sullivan was convinced he could use play action in this game - but Carolina was playing 2 deep zone quite often, taking away the deep passes. That, combined with Freeman struggling most of the game, was a recipe for being patient and letting Martin carry the ball - either via handoffs or screens. But Sullivan stubbornly kept putting us in 3rd and long situations - playing right into Carolina's hands.

Great win for the Bucs!!! But as we head into these final 6 games - we are really going to need to get Martin cranked up for playoff style football.

Ms Elam

Starter

#1 : November 18, 2012, 09:45:25 PM

Go find threads from the first 3 Weeks of the season. People on here were saying Sullivan sucks and comparing him to Greg Olson because he wasnt throwing the ball.  IJS

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#2 : November 18, 2012, 09:45:57 PM

funny, after the first CAR game our fans wanted sully's head for running martin too much.  now its for not running him enough.

CAR might have been in cover2 a lot, but we had many 1 on 1's with vjax/mike will outside.  thought we as fans wanted that matchup? 

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

traew01

Pro Bowler

#3 : November 18, 2012, 09:51:26 PM

I think there is a happy medium....

I just feel like Doug Martin has emerged to become such a valuable weapon. He needs the ball more than he got in the first 3 quarters. I am not saying do not take shots down the field - but when your QB is struggling the way Freeman was struggling (Freeman could not even keep the ball in bounds when trying to hit Jackson and Williams deep) -- there should have been a healthier dose of Martin.

I think overtime proved what he can do.

I will say - however - that I am really liking the chemistry developing between Freeman and Dallas Clark. If Dallas Clark can start becoming another big weapon - look out.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#4 : November 18, 2012, 09:53:57 PM

Actually it wasn't. Carolina is tough to run on; their pass defense is horrible though. Sully adjusted from week 1.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#5 : November 18, 2012, 09:55:20 PM

i understand what you are saying, but i just dont know if its realistic.  if our QB is struggling early - give up on him and put our trust in our makeshift OL?

i think OT just proved how momentum can shift, just as it did on the pick6.

we did go pass heavy early today...maybe its because we gave them so much film running the ball last time we played.

as for Dallas Clark - who said he aint got hands?!?!

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
#6 : November 18, 2012, 09:59:44 PM

Clark may not ever big a big weapon like he was early on in Indy. But he's a great safe option for Freeman, has great hands, and can usually hit on at least 1-2 decent gains per game. Also, he's not screaming at Freeman in the huddle after every play a la K2. A very solid pickup a little bit later in free agency this offseason.

Ms Elam

Starter

#7 : November 18, 2012, 10:36:45 PM

Clark may not ever big a big weapon like he was early on in Indy. But he's a great safe option for Freeman, has great hands, and can usually hit on at least 1-2 decent gains per game. Also, he's not screaming at Freeman in the huddle after every play a la K2. A very solid pickup a little bit later in free agency this offseason.
I think his stiffness and lack of change of direction contributed to the first int. That ball was lofted softly he just didn't have the agility to adjust

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#8 : November 18, 2012, 10:42:48 PM

The problem today was more about execution rather than play calling. The OL played poor for the first 3 qtrs. Freeman never settled back in after the INT(until late in the 4th). WRs and QB seemed to be on the wrong page on several audibles.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#9 : November 18, 2012, 10:43:08 PM

I had a feeling it was going to be a long day when the Bucs had 2nd and 2 on the opening series, and followed it with 2 incomplete passes.

Look - I cannot complain too much re: Sullivan because his offense has set offensive records this season. But I feel like he is getting a little too confident in Freeman and the big chunks of yards - and forgets that he has a superstar running back who can break off long runs at any time. The more times Martin gets the ball, the more chances he is going to reel off some big ones.

I felt like Sullivan was convinced he could use play action in this game - but Carolina was playing 2 deep zone quite often, taking away the deep passes. That, combined with Freeman struggling most of the game, was a recipe for being patient and letting Martin carry the ball - either via handoffs or screens. But Sullivan stubbornly kept putting us in 3rd and long situations - playing right into Carolina's hands.

Great win for the Bucs!!! But as we head into these final 6 games - we are really going to need to get Martin cranked up for playoff style football.

Carolina was putting as many as 9 in the box at times. Sullivan was just trying to loosen up the defense so they COULD run.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#10 : November 18, 2012, 10:46:55 PM

I think it was a combo of two things.

1. They knew what kind of monster Tampa was before the game. They got suckerpunched last time.
2. Sully might be wanting to take it easy on hamster, he's been used a lot these last few games. Maybe he thinks too much so?

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#11 : November 18, 2012, 10:51:32 PM

Carolina was putting as many as 9 in the box at times. Sullivan was just trying to loosen up the defense so they COULD run.

Exactly.   They were challenging Freeman to beat them.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#12 : November 18, 2012, 10:52:43 PM

Exactly.   They were challenging Freeman to beat them.

...which he did.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#13 : November 18, 2012, 10:54:18 PM

barely...   

And only because the panthers stopped taking Martin out of the game in OT and let Martin run wild then.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#14 : November 18, 2012, 10:57:12 PM

what a waste of a thread .....
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sullivan's game plan was poor « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools