Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I've got a question; hoping one of you guys have the answer « previous next »
Page: 1

grungy

Second String
: November 19, 2012, 11:56:50 AM

I was at the game yesterday and noticed a few times - particularly right before the Buc's first possession during the commercial timeout - that Freeman was standing around 15 yards behind the other players in the huddle. in other words, the other players were semi huddled behind the 20 yard line and he was standing and doing warm ups somewhere around the endzone. Then, right before the ref called time, he ran up, joined the rest of the players, and called the huddle and play. I was just wondering what if any purpose this serves?

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#1 : November 19, 2012, 12:00:27 PM

This helps prevent a penalty of "too many men in the huddle" when substituting packages. That's why sometimes you'll see some fluster and why we burned a timeout. This was my understanding and it's a good concept. It could serve other purposes as well.

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
#2 : November 19, 2012, 12:00:32 PM

If Freeman is 15 yards away he is not considered in the huddle. this helps the team avoid a too many men in the huddle penalty. It also allows for last minute subs. For example the Bucs could have 2 TE's in the huddle with Freeman standing behind the play, then at the last minute as Freeman approaches the huddle the 2nd TE runs off the field, it helps the offense hide their personal groupings from the defense.

Formerly known as T

I\'ll be optimistic until I see a reason not to be

grungy

Second String
#3 : November 19, 2012, 12:06:04 PM

Thanks, guys! That makes a lot of sense. I kinda thought he was probably overseeing something on the field but never even considered the number of players on the field.

OBTW - Go BUCS! Helluva game yesterday.

bucinsouthFL

Starter

#4 : November 19, 2012, 12:32:56 PM

lol....its so nice to see fans helping each other on this board...hahahaha nice change of pace

JoshMcCrownUs

Second String
#5 : November 19, 2012, 03:00:55 PM

Thats brilliant. I'm guessing this is something most if not all teams are now doing (unless your no-huddling). Probably tough to tell unless you're there, on tv u usually dont see the huddle until the last 15-20 secs of the play clock
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I've got a question; hoping one of you guys have the answer « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools