Boards > College Football Board

Maryland, Rutgers to Big Ten

<< < (2/2)

dark uncle:

--- Quote from: DailyRich68 on November 20, 2012, 02:20:09 PM ---
--- Quote from: dark uncle on November 20, 2012, 07:45:32 AM ---Biggs,
I expect the Big 10 can net a better TV deal next time if they can prove an expanded viewership, which they get by expanding into the Maryland and Rutgers markets.  All 500 of the viewers that WANT to watch these two teams.

FSU is hosed because the SEC gains nothing in TV market by extending them an invitation and only gets another tough team to add to their murderer's row.

--- End quote ---

The Big 10 wants the New York/New Jersey market and the Baltimore/DC market.  It may not get it right away -- those are pro sports towns through and through -- but it's exposure in a larger market.  I also wouldn't be surprised if the Maryland move was an effort to weaken the ACC and make Notre Dame reconsider their affiliation with that league.  The Big 10 has been hard after them for years, and it makes much more sense.

FSU has had overtures from the Big 12, wouldn't be surprised to see them try to rekindle that.  Their championship chances this year are taking a huge hit due to their weak conference schedule, they seriously need to get the hell out of that conference.

--- End quote ---

I can't disagree with any of that.

TheAman:
Ahem....

Let me explain this on Maryland's side.  For one, they aren't paying the 50 million exit fee.  They're challenging that it's going to be that much, and whatever the fee is, the Big Ten is going to front the money, and Maryland will pay it back gradually.  For two, the ACC has a **CENSORED** commissioner who can't negotiate TV deals and can't stabilize the conference.  The Big Ten provides stability, you know it's not disintegrating.  The Big Ten is also coming after two of UVA, UNC and GT, for what it's worth.  FSU needs to convince the Big XII that they need to get back up to 12 teams, because the Big 12 pays way more than the ACC, and the ACC is destabilizing fast.  If I'm BC, Duke and Wake Forest, I'm sweating really badly right now.

McBarron:
So, USF will actually be considered for the ACC?

Not like it would matter.

Hilarious, though, seeing how Pitt and Cuse jumped ship so fast for the ACC.

CBWx2:
I hate the idea of these superconferences. IMO, it's ruining the game. Very good article about this from Dennis Dodd:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/21073271/the-crass-thoughtless-reorganization-of-college-sports

TheAman:
USF is probably fourth on the ACC list right now, assuming it doesn't completely collapse.  Louisville is probably first, UConn second, Cincinnati and then USF.  I forgot, add Pitt and Syracuse to the sweating schools list as well.

dexmonkey:

--- Quote from: TheAman on November 21, 2012, 12:37:11 PM ---USF is probably fourth on the ACC list right now, assuming it doesn't completely collapse.  Louisville is probably first, UConn second, Cincinnati and then USF.  I forgot, add Pitt and Syracuse to the sweating schools list as well.

--- End quote ---

USF wouldnt get in until FSU leaves, if ever.

USF doesnt have the academic prestige or success in sports(basketball) that the ACC craves. the UNC and DUke crowd care about academics and basketball more than anything else and USF doesnt currently fit the bill. FSU is the second lowest in academic rating and we are in the top 100 in the country. i think USF was listed around 200. the tobacco road crew want to be the ivy league of the mid atlantic

Bucman:
Im not sure these conferences gives 2 **CENSORED**s about anything anymore other than money.

TheAman:

--- Quote from: dexmonkey on November 22, 2012, 08:33:22 AM ---
--- Quote from: TheAman on November 21, 2012, 12:37:11 PM ---USF is probably fourth on the ACC list right now, assuming it doesn't completely collapse.  Louisville is probably first, UConn second, Cincinnati and then USF.  I forgot, add Pitt and Syracuse to the sweating schools list as well.

--- End quote ---

USF wouldnt get in until FSU leaves, if ever.

USF doesnt have the academic prestige or success in sports(basketball) that the ACC craves. the UNC and DUke crowd care about academics and basketball more than anything else and USF doesnt currently fit the bill. FSU is the second lowest in academic rating and we are in the top 100 in the country. i think USF was listed around 200. the tobacco road crew want to be the ivy league of the mid atlantic

--- End quote ---

First off, all this is happening with the assumption that FSU is jumping.  Otherwise they'd just chill.  And the academics doesn't matter all that much anymore if they're considering Louisville, UConn and Cincy. 

And regarding the money.  You can replace conferences with ANYTHING.  Colleges are a business (the entire university, not just the athletics), sports organizations like the NFL are all about money.  Saying things are about money is like saying the sky is blue.

cyberdude558:

--- Quote from: CBWx2 on November 21, 2012, 12:29:28 PM ---I hate the idea of these superconferences. IMO, it's ruining the game. Very good article about this from Dennis Dodd:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/21073271/the-crass-thoughtless-reorganization-of-college-sports

--- End quote ---

The college game has been ruined for awhile. The superconferences may finally kill it.

All this crap is totally unnecessary. This jumping around is about nothing else but greed. Period.

TheAman:
I agree, it's all about greed.  Florida State should have never killed the Metro Conference by jumping to the ACC.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version