Boards > The Red Board

Eric......."(The suspension issue) has been addressed a long time ago,''

(1/1)

michael89156:

Bucs notes: CB Wright expects to play rest of season

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
"(The suspension issue) has been addressed. It was addressed a long time ago,'' said Eric Wright.

By ROY CUMMINGS | The Tampa Tribune
Published:  November 21, 2012 - 7:22 PM

TAMPA --

Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback Eric Wright said Wednesday he doesn't see any reason he wouldn't be able to play in the team's final six games of the season.

Wright was the subject of an Oct. 28 report by FoxSports NFL Insider Jay Glazer stating Wright faced a four-game suspension for Adderall use.

"I don't know why I wouldn't,'' Wright said when asked if he expected to be around for the rest of the season. "(The suspension issue) has been addressed. It was addressed a long time ago.''

Wright had not spoken to reporters about the report since it came out. Bucs and NFL officials continue to deny requests for comment.

Adderall is banned by the NFL, though players can receive a waiver from the league if they have a doctor's prescription for the medication frequently used to treat attention deficit disorder.

Former Bucs cornerback Aqib Talib was suspended four games this season for violating the league's policy on performance enhancing substances. Talib, who acknowledged he took an Adderall pill after obtaining it without a prescription, was traded to the New England Patriots on Nov. 1.

Wright, acquired as a free agent in the offseason, is battling a nagging ankle injury. He was described by head coach Greg Schiano on Monday as being "week-to-week" because of the injury. Wright did not practice on Wednesday but rode a stationary bike on the sideline.

Gaitor returns

Injured DB Anthony Gaitor returned to the practice field and could return to action by next week, when he is eligible to come off injured reserved. Gaitor was inactive for the first three games of the season before being placed on IR/Designated to Return on Oct. 9 with a hamstring injury.

"I just watched him out there (Wednesday) and he seemed fine,'' defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan said. "He reminded me of the way he looked in training camp before he got nicked up, so I think he'll be fine.''

Gaitor is eligible to return to the active roster prior to the Dec. 9 game against Philadelphia.

Rookie ups and downs

Safety Mark Barron, the Buccaneers' top first-round draft choice in April, had perhaps his roughest outing of the season on Sunday in Carolina, highlighted by a pass interference call in the end zone that led to a Panthers' touchdown. While Barron's strength is his run support, he is still learning to be a better pass defender.

"One of the things we thought in our division, having to defend these great tight ends, Mark would be a great matchup," Schiano said. "I think he will be. I think he has been.''

That challenge will be tough again this week against a pass-happy Atlanta team that features future Hall of Fame tight end Tony Gonzalez whom Barron figures to match up against as well as receivers Julio Jones and Roddy White.

"(Barron) needs to really play well because the third head of the three-headed monster, (Gonzalez), is really good,'' Schiano said.

Injury updates

In addition to Wright, WR Arrellious Benn (shoulder), S Ahmad Black (illness) and S Cody Grimm (hamstring) missed practice on Wednesday. DE Michael Bennett (shoulder) was limited. DE Aaron Morgan (shoulder) and WR Tiquan Underwood (head) both participated fully. OL Jamon Merideth, who was limited last week with an ankle injury but played in Sunday's game, was not on the team's official injury list.

tripblood:
Wow, tell me that isnt sketchy. No one has given a clear answer to this at all.

ryan24:

--- Quote from: tripblood on November 22, 2012, 08:06:24 AM ---Wow, tell me that isnt sketchy. No one has given a clear answer to this at all.

--- End quote ---

It's called confidentiality.

Dolorous Jason:
Wright must have had a prescription ....it's also probably who Talib was borrowing his from....mystery solved.

cryptfiend:
For banned substances, players must have a prescription as well as a waiver from the league saying that they are allowed to use the banned substance (it is not enough to just have the prescription).

In the past, guys have been suspended for having prescriptions for drugs, but not the waiver from the league.  On appeal though, all of those suspensions have been overturned.

This is probably what happened here.  Wright had a prescription, but not the waiver.  On appeal, he presented his prescription and he got the waiver.

Its kinda like the cops giving you a ticket for not presenting your license, even though you have one.  All you have to do to get out of the ticket is mail a copy of your license to the court to prove that you have it and you are good to go.

The Anti-Java:

--- Quote from: cryptfiend on November 22, 2012, 10:20:04 AM ---For banned substances, players must have a prescription as well as a waiver from the league saying that they are allowed to use the banned substance (it is not enough to just have the prescription).

In the past, guys have been suspended for having prescriptions for drugs, but not the waiver from the league.  On appeal though, all of those suspensions have been overturned.

This is probably what happened here.  Wright had a prescription, but not the waiver.  On appeal, he presented his prescription and he got the waiver.

Its kinda like the cops giving you a ticket for not presenting your license, even though you have one.  All you have to do to get out of the ticket is mail a copy of your license to the court to prove that you have it and you are good to go.

--- End quote ---

I think one guy had a prescription but not the waiver, and still got suspended for 2 instead of 4.

chace1986:
We are a better team with him on the sideline, so a suspension wouldn't break my heart.

The Anti-Java:

--- Quote from: chace1986 on November 22, 2012, 03:18:10 PM ---We are a better team with him on the sideline, so a suspension wouldn't break my heart.

--- End quote ---

Sounds like the achilles is more of a threat, than the Commish, at this point in time.

Benchwarmer#1:

--- Quote from: Dolorous Jason on November 22, 2012, 09:39:05 AM ---Wright must have had a prescription ....it's also probably who Talib was borrowing his from....mystery solved.

--- End quote ---

I was actually thinking the same thing.

I wonder if Wright can't get into trouble for giving Talib those regulated drugs? (That is, if someone finds that out)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version