Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs looking to minimize hits on Josh Freeman « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : November 22, 2012, 12:38:19 AM »

NOVEMBER 21, 2012

Bucs looking to minimize hits on Josh Freeman

All around the NFL, the headlines offer numerous examples of something no team wants: An injured starting quarterback.

With the likes of Michael Vick, Jay Cutler and Ben Roethlisberger nursing injuries, the Bucs know it’s unsustainable for QB Josh Freeman to take as many hits as he did on Sunday at Carolina.

How to fix it?

The Bucs plan a multi-layered approach involving the offensive line, Freeman and coaching. Regarding the offensive line, the Bucs attributed its underperformance, in part, to a good game by the Panthers defensive line.

“There is no question we need to make sure we’re shoring some things up,” offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan said. “I’ll give credit to their defensive line. That is a very talented, very well-coached front four. Then you look at other games and it shows up. We thought they were going to be good, but they were even better.”

Sullivan said he and his staff will consider some adjustments to mitigate protection issues.

“There are things we can do as far as moving the launch point, getting some quicker, rhythm-type throws, doing things in rhythm so he can get the ball out faster,” Sullivan said of Freeman. “I really think it’s a combination of things from a protection standpoint, executing a little bit better up front, and then when you’re facing a tough group like that, it’s going to be a challenge.”

But if and when Freeman is faced with absorbing contact, there’s little doubt at One Buc Place he can take it.

Freeman stood in the pocket and took a head-on hit on the game-tying touchdown against the Panthers, never flinching in the face of the pressure. It was one of many instances where he took hits.

“You’re talking about a guy who is tough as nails with his ability to hang in there and still maintain the downfield focus, his vision on the receiver,” Sullivan said. “He’s not a happy-feet guy. He’s not a guy who is turning away (from the hit). He’s a face in the fan guy. He’s a tough guy. No doubt about that. If there are any doubts about his level of toughness, you put that tape on.”

It's just what he does, Freeman said.

“I have a job to do,” he said. “Regardless of what’s happening around me, I have to do my best to execute my job.

“Whether that’s standing in the pocket or scrambling or whatever it might be, I try to maximize what our offense can do with the ball.

Posted by Stephen Holder at 4:39:35 pm on November 21, 2012

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #1 : November 22, 2012, 12:49:05 AM »

We're lucky to have Free. Thanks, Rah.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #2 : November 22, 2012, 01:48:02 PM »

Gotta keep the big fella healthy that is for sure.  If he goes down we are screwed.  Ovaltine?   Please.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #3 : November 22, 2012, 01:59:52 PM »

And there were some people who were saying that Free appeared to be afraid to take hits or run. I agree. He's afraid at what the
O will look like if he gets hurt!

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #4 : November 22, 2012, 02:21:06 PM »

I want him to run when the opportunity presents itself - and use his head on when to slide or step out of bounds.  He has started to make better decisions in doing this - having a rough start and missing such opportunities earlier in the year.

And what he has really gotten better at is stepping up in the pocket... but not many are talking about that yet...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #5 : November 22, 2012, 03:20:14 PM »

I want him to run when the opportunity presents itself - and use his head on when to slide or step out of bounds.  He has started to make better decisions in doing this - having a rough start and missing such opportunities earlier in the year.

And what he has really gotten better at is stepping up in the pocket... but not many are talking about that yet...

Yes he has improved in all those areas.  Becoming a complete QB it seems.  It will be interesting to see the ceiling.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs looking to minimize hits on Josh Freeman « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools