Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Cross O-Line off the draft list « previous next »
Page: 1 2

CaptainStagger

Pro Bowler

: November 22, 2012, 12:29:12 PM

http://www.joebucsfan.com/?p=78529#comments

Found this interesting, and for those draft junkies like me might be able to narrow the prospects a bit. And for those calling for us to drat a RT.....I bet we don't.

For those too lazy to read the blog post:

Dominick said he doesn't draft oline because the spread offense in college masks the Oline so much that you can't really get a good evaluation of talent, and he would rather give a guy a year or two in the nfl before passing judgement.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#1 : November 22, 2012, 12:46:53 PM

Dom is a smart guy.

Kalil plays like crap, long plays like crap... its obvious those were wasted picks. Besides, if Tampa can keep DJ, Penn, and nicks out there, there is no need.

Sam Ram 33

Second String

#2 : November 22, 2012, 01:11:09 PM

I still think we need a RT... Not in the first few rounds but another solid prospect to develop.  If we learned anything this year is that you need quality depth at every position

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 22, 2012, 01:13:17 PM

http://www.joebucsfan.com/?p=78529#comments

Found this interesting, and for those draft junkies like me might be able to narrow the prospects a bit. And for those calling for us to drat a RT.....I bet we don't.

For those too lazy to read the blog post:

Dominick said he doesn't draft oline because the spread offense in college masks the Oline so much that you can't really get a good evaluation of talent, and he would rather give a guy a year or two in the nfl before passing judgement.
I disagree strongly with his thinking. I  can't think of any recent oline draft bust that came out the first round. Far from "challenging". The challenging part is actually getting them to play good consistently because these UDFA and late round picks have never done that ever.

See: Anthony Davis LT (2005)

Gobucs991940

Second String
#4 : November 22, 2012, 01:25:39 PM

Jason Smith wasn't a huge bust? He's one of the most massive busts in recent draft history. He never used a 3-pt stance in college and it masked a lot of his flaws. Jake Long hasn't lived up to being the #1 pick he won't even be in Miami next year.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#5 : November 22, 2012, 01:29:31 PM

Jason Smith wasn't a huge bust? He's one of the most massive busts in recent draft history. He never used a 3-pt stance in college and it masked a lot of his flaws. Jake Long hasn't lived up to being the #1 pick he won't even be in Miami next year.
Jake Long has made the pro bowl 4 years straight and has had an All-Pro season under his belt. Where is this idea he isn't living up to his #1 overall selection?

Smith has been a huge bust but other then that - the odds are you can find a good linemen in the first.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer
#6 : November 22, 2012, 01:35:10 PM

Sorry but Penn isn't getting any younger. I think the Bucs will be looking for quality depth at LT this off season.

Hayseed

Pro Bowler

#7 : November 22, 2012, 01:47:49 PM

I think a developmental LT in the later rounds would be a solid investment. However, I am happy with the play Meredith and Larsen this year. Definitely gives us some depth. Dotson has been lights out IMO. Can't wait to see this line with Penn, Nicks, Zuttah, Joesph and Dotson next season. They will be killing fools.

IMO, CB and TE are the top two priorities in the draft. Would like to see another RB as well. At this rate, will get about 3-4 years good use out of Dougie.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#8 : November 22, 2012, 02:04:30 PM

Look for a replacement for Penn - and perhaps the costly duo of guards - they should be on the list of players to look out for.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#9 : November 22, 2012, 02:06:31 PM

why not dotson the replacement for penn and find a new RT?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#10 : November 22, 2012, 02:21:22 PM

2 questions ^^^^^

1. Where does is say Dotson can make a quality transition to LT?.  It certainly is not an automatic.

2. Has anyone seen a draft prospect that is worthy for our OL to come in as  backup and be trained by Bostad? Only one
 I've seen is the one from Wisconsin and he will go too high for us to have a shot.

However, with Nicks and Joseph coming back next year,  at least we found a backup guard.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#11 : November 22, 2012, 02:27:56 PM

Might do that GT - Dotson has shown good pass protection skills - not so much on run blocking.  So it is possible.  Looking at Penn and I don't know that he would be re-signed at the conclusion of his current contract if a viable replacement has been identified. 

As for Stan's question - yes there are players coming out that play OT that could well supplant either tackle position.  Question is more about timing of this year or next I suspect. 

And having offered all that - there have been darned few times when my thinking has matched up with the Bucs...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Tampafan8251

Starter
#12 : November 22, 2012, 03:47:06 PM

I think we can get atleast 5 good years out of Martin, he's 23 when hes about 28 you will see another back come in to push him, the kid is just in great shape, if he stays injury free I expect to see him scoring TD's in Tampa for atleast five years

David4ROTY

Starter

#13 : November 22, 2012, 06:18:17 PM

I actually like his line of thinking.  Basically, continually look for depth on the O-Line.  We have the grunts up front currently to hold it down.  If we can continue to find diamonds in the rough like we did previously with Penn and possibly currently with Meradith...it isn't such a bad idea.  Besides that, add another top O-Line pick benched...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000099052/article/gabe-carimi-latest-to-be-benched-by-chicago-bears

And I know that many people were clamoring for Carimi around draft time as well...Just sayin...

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#14 : November 22, 2012, 06:19:44 PM

I think a developmental LT in the later rounds would be a solid investment. However, I am happy with the play Meredith and Larsen this year. Definitely gives us some depth. Dotson has been lights out IMO. Can't wait to see this line with Penn, Nicks, Zuttah, Joesph and Dotson next season. They will be killing fools.

IMO, CB and TE are the top two priorities in the draft. Would like to see another RB as well. At this rate, will get about 3-4 years good use out of Dougie.

+1

Need another pass rushing defensive end also.I haven't seen enough out of Bowers and Clayborn to tell me they are the guy to strike fear in QB's on third down.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Cross O-Line off the draft list « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools