Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: First SB Nation mock draft of the year is out, and Bucs with the19th pick take.. « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: November 23, 2012, 12:49:16 AM

2013 NFL Mock Draft: Buccaneers take Johnthan Banks

By Sander Philipse on Nov 22, 11:52a

The first SB Nation mock draft of the year is out, and it has the Buccaneers taking a cornerback.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are right in the middle of the playoff hunt, but they have one major weakness which could keep them out: the secondary, which has been awful. The Bucs appear to be set at safety, with first-round rookie Mark Barron and old but high-level veteran Ronde Barber manning those two spots, but they need help at cornerback. Eric Wright is currently their only solid cornerback.

That's what SB Nation's Mocking the Draft thinks, too, and they have the Bucs taking cornerback Johnthan Banks out of Mississippi State with the 19th overall pick.

The Buccaneers were forced to deal Aqib Talib because of his abrasive personality and soon-to-expire contract. Cornerback is still an area of need for this team, despite the money it spent on the position in the offseason. Johnthan Banks is the best senior corner in this class. He has ridiculous ball skills and tons of athleticism.

I haven't looked at draft prospects much, yet, but a cornerback with ridiculous ball skills and tons of athleticism? Sounds good to me. As long as he can tackle, that is. Another option would have to be Florida State prospect Xavier Rhodes. Local players are always a big hit, and Rhodes is a tremendously talented player.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2012/11/22/3679882/2013-nfl-mock-draft-buccaneers-johnthan-banks-cornerback

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#1 : November 23, 2012, 01:53:27 AM

I wouldn't mind Banks only because we need a corner pretty bad. I don't think he's that special of a player and I usually would only like the first round pick to be used on a guy who looks like a special player... but oh well.  I'm hoping Dom finds his guy he wants more than anyone else around our pick range and does what it takes to get him. Even if its not a corner.

lowlife

Starter
#2 : November 23, 2012, 02:04:50 AM

If Jarvis Jones were to fall that far, Dominik better be on the phone wheeling and dealing hard.

jhop88

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 23, 2012, 02:38:09 AM

If Jarvis Jones were to fall that far, Dominik better be on the phone wheeling and dealing hard.

C'mon man, there's a good chance Jones is the #1 pick in the draft.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#4 : November 23, 2012, 02:45:21 AM

Um..Barber won't be here next season, so unless they think biggers or black can play back there, they,ll also be needing another safety.

Personally, I think schiano/dom draft a corner, but I can't help to think of what dom has in store with his extra 4th. Does he reach higher on the board? Or does he jump up again like he did with obtaining doug? Does he just use the extra pick where it's at and play it safe?

That 4th, especially after what we saw last season, is a solid draft weapon. Either way, because of that fourth rounder, Tampa might have their choice of whichever CB they want. That, or they can use that leverage and double-dip in the mid rounds (not a fan of this) but pick overall talent over need with their first pick or two.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#5 : November 23, 2012, 05:29:55 AM

Um..Barber won't be here next season, so unless they think biggers or black can play back there, they,ll also be needing another safety.

Personally, I think schiano/dom draft a corner, but I can't help to think of what dom has in store with his extra 4th. Does he reach higher on the board? Or does he jump up again like he did with obtaining doug? Does he just use the extra pick where it's at and play it safe?

That 4th, especially after what we saw last season, is a solid draft weapon. Either way, because of that fourth rounder, Tampa might have their choice of whichever CB they want. That, or they can use that leverage and double-dip in the mid rounds (not a fan of this) but pick overall talent over need with their first pick or two.

I believe Barber will play next year. After the moves Dom made in the last draft, I have complete confidence that he will do what's best for the team. It might be a little harder to fit three starters into the lineup with our first three picks. but I know he will try.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#6 : November 23, 2012, 05:37:49 AM

It looks like Barkley may fall to them.   That is the pick they need to make.

Juno

Starter
#7 : November 23, 2012, 01:46:30 PM

Why is that?

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
#8 : November 23, 2012, 01:59:58 PM

Even if they were to move on from Freeman, which they won't, I really don't think Barkley is the way to go.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

Juno

Starter
#9 : November 23, 2012, 02:03:19 PM

His arm strength or lack there of is the big thing I don't like about Barkley.  I would like to see the Bucs get a good back-up for Freeman with some arm strength.  However, the Bucs should not be drafting a QB before the 5th or 6th round considering the needs they have at other positions. 

lowlife

Starter
#10 : November 23, 2012, 02:20:07 PM

C'mon man, there's a good chance Jones is the #1 pick in the draft.

Well, he goes 12th in this mock. Which is the subject of this thread.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#11 : November 23, 2012, 03:41:54 PM

Barber won't retire IMHO. Why do I get the feeling that Myron Lewis will still be on the roster next year?

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#12 : November 23, 2012, 03:53:38 PM

His arm strength or lack there of is the big thing I don't like about Barkley.  I would like to see the Bucs get a good back-up for Freeman with some arm strength. 

He wouldn't be the backup to Freeman.  He'd be the starter.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#13 : November 23, 2012, 03:57:30 PM

Hogwash. Why even bother with a mock draft this far in advance ?

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

bucs4eva

Pro Bowler

#14 : November 23, 2012, 04:42:26 PM

Why is that?

You must be new here kid

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: First SB Nation mock draft of the year is out, and Bucs with the19th pick take.. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools