Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What has happened to the Buccaneer Fan Base? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

#15 : November 26, 2012, 03:02:51 PM

Funny that Jason doesn't mention the lack of corporate sponsorship and ticket purchase in the area that is afforded to teams in other cities. Happens to both the Rays and the Bucs. Anyone that would investigate our attendance issues would be aware of this.

While he doesn't address the lack of corporate sponsorship directly this bit from the "burned bridges" section does allude to local business support:

"Meanwhile, in their post Super Bowl fervor, the Glazers raised ticket prices significantly. In some cases, those trapped by the ten year agreement were forced to over leverage themselves. This specifically impacted local businesses who bought blocks of tickets and were threatened with lawsuit if they didn't continue to pay through the length of the seat license."

Man if that's true about the Glazer's threatening lawsuits to local businesses over the PSL commitments then there is no wonder why none of these businesses came back when those commitements were complete.

I remember hearing about that but I didn't get into the specifics at that time.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#16 : November 26, 2012, 03:07:47 PM

You'd think businesses would buy up a block of tickets and give 'em away to customers as perks.  Guess the tickets aren't viewed as a hot commodity like during the Dungy/Gruden seasons.  Also, with the economy stinking, maybe businesses don't even want to make that expenditure.

PewterBlitz

Starter

#17 : November 26, 2012, 03:25:50 PM

Tampa will eventually start selling out again, it will just take a season or two from the owners showing they are dedicated to winning and spending. They really let this team go after they got comfortable to game sellouts. The difference is, our fanbase in Tampa is not the same fanbase in Cleveland. We don't continue to spend our money on a crappy product. Call it fairweather or w/e you want, but thats the reality. Also, I am glad that we aren't willing to buy tickets when the owners neglect their priorities, otherwise, we really will end up constant losers like Cleveland.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#18 : November 26, 2012, 03:39:31 PM

well stated

Bucsfan x

Pro Bowler

#19 : November 26, 2012, 03:59:49 PM

Tampa will eventually start selling out again, it will just take a season or two from the owners showing they are dedicated to winning and spending. They really let this team go after they got comfortable to game sellouts. The difference is, our fanbase in Tampa is not the same fanbase in Cleveland. We don't continue to spend our money on a crappy product. Call it fairweather or w/e you want, but thats the reality. Also, I am glad that we aren't willing to buy tickets when the owners neglect their priorities, otherwise, we really will end up constant losers like Cleveland.

Clevelanders only go to the games because there is literally nothing else to do around there on a Sunday, especially during fall/winter.

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer

#20 : November 26, 2012, 04:10:55 PM

Tampa may have higher employment than before, but the wages are usually minimal. That does not translate into discretionary income for entertainment of any kind,

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#21 : November 26, 2012, 05:52:37 PM

You'd think businesses would buy up a block of tickets and give 'em away to customers as perks.  Guess the tickets aren't viewed as a hot commodity like during the Dungy/Gruden seasons.  Also, with the economy stinking, maybe businesses don't even want to make that expenditure.

Businesses do not want to buy tickets for a losing team.   When they give the tickets away to customers, they want those customers to enjoy themselves, not go home pissed off then relate that pissed off feeling back to the business that gave them the tickets.    When businesses feel proud about the team, they will return.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#22 : November 26, 2012, 09:17:44 PM

Clevelanders only go to the games because there is literally nothing else to do around there on a Sunday, especially during fall/winter.

Ohio State football?   Cavs?   

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

#23 : November 26, 2012, 09:47:11 PM

It's the furthest thing from the truth. Its the fact that the Buccaneer fanbase is so passionate that they have been voting with their wallets on what they've seen.

They weren't happy with the way their favorite players, local businesses and fans were treated by the Glazers. They saw how good it could be in this sports market when an owner cares - thanks to the Lightning's Jeffrey Vinik, who transformed that franchise from one in disarray to one that is a model for the league.

Boom

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#24 : November 26, 2012, 09:58:02 PM

please.  the majority of tampa fans just need to be pampered.  free parking, chairbacks, inexpensive beer, portable A/C units, the best FA every year, playoffs, and free tickets.  thats the model the Glazers need to use.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#25 : November 26, 2012, 10:22:46 PM

please.  the majority of tampa fans just need to be pampered.  free parking, chairbacks, inexpensive beer, portable A/C units, the best FA every year, playoffs, and free tickets.  thats the model the Glazers need to use.

was that the model they used for the 12 years of so of sell outs?   come on man, whining about attendance is beneath you

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#26 : November 26, 2012, 10:26:23 PM

I'm sorry but that is a short-sighted outlook.  You have to look at the big picture. There are legitimate reasons why that extra 10-15K fans are not backing the team.  I respect what they have done or else things would not have changed. 

Although I am in the super minority, I think the Glazers should have bought up the tickets.  The money was a joke. Like 1 Million.  Add in the benefits of concessions, parking, write-off, exposure and good PR and you have a true enigma. That  140 million in tv money is no slouch either.  Why not tarp some of the seats? Oh, right.  The same reason they won't ask for a ticket extension. They may lose that little bit of money if the walk ups do come. So, many in Tampa on the fence about investing in the team grow more bitter as the blackouts continue. It is not the owners responsibility to buy up the tickets and give them to people that couldn't be there. Whether or not it was in their best interests is a whole other topic.

The blackout rule was made in early 70's by Congress to keep greedy owners from blacking out the home games so they could sell tickets faster. Now it works against the fans. The NFL or owners can do nothing about the rule. It is time to swamp the congressmen with letters or for the team to show the same commitment they made 10 years ago.  Things are looking good so far. 

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#27 : November 26, 2012, 10:29:58 PM

Hell, for free tickets, I'll make the drive from Alaska, HA!

I liked the article, nice to see a few stats for the economy argument.  Also, I never quite realized the terrible PSL deal.  Back home in Texas, the PSL deal for the Jerry Dome was an up front one time HUGE fee, and when you decide not to buy the tickets anymore, bye bye PSL.  That lawsuit garbage definitely had to burn a lot of bridges.  Now I see more why so many people absolutely hate the Glazers.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#28 : November 26, 2012, 10:32:26 PM

was that the model they used for the 12 years of so of sell outs?   come on man, whining about attendance is beneath you

im not trying to whine, i just tire of the excuses.  its simple, there arent enough people in the Bay area that really care about the Bucs and enjoy live football.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#29 : November 26, 2012, 10:36:29 PM

With that understanding ask yourself why they stopped caring.  That is the important part.There is no one answer for everyone.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What has happened to the Buccaneer Fan Base? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools