Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs hope trio avoids hitting rookie wall « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : November 24, 2012, 12:48:06 AM »

Bucs hope trio avoids hitting rookie wall

By Rick Stroud, Times Staff Writer
 In Print: Sunday, November 25, 2012

TAMPA

Considering the number of NFL games he has played since August, S Mark Barron normally would be shutting it down after winning a national title at Alabama.

RB Doug Martin no longer would be running on the Smurf Turf at Boise State, having returned from a bowl game in Las Vegas.

LB Lavonte David would have squeezed all the juice from the season with Nebraska's trip to the Citrus Bowl in Orlando.

Ten weeks into the NFL season is when first-year players typically begin to hit what is known as the rookie wall, banging into the rock-hard reality of physical and mental fatigue.

All three players have filled enormous roles for the Bucs this season. Barron (picked sixth overall) is third with 57 tackles. Martin (31st) is among the league's top rookies with 1,000 yards rushing. David (58th) leads the team in tackles with 90.

Bucs coach Greg Schiano says his staff has monitored the energy level of the rookies and believes they are handling the marathon that is the NFL season pretty well.

"A lot of it is mental," Schiano said. "It's kind of like when you're working out. If you say you're going to do 10 reps, at nine, you start straining. If you say you're going to do 12, you fly past nine. So we don't want to make too big a deal of it with our guys because the reality is the guys who are playing, who are young, are well-conditioned athletes. I think our coaches do a really good job of taking care of them in practice, limiting the reps they can.

"We stress it, and they do it; taking care of their bodies. I think that's one of the biggest parts of being a true professional. It's taking that extra time in the tubs. And with the massage people and with all the treatments, do you just leave the building and get out of here?"

Typically, that's the biggest adjustment for young players. Their bodies recover pretty quickly because of their age. But the hits are harder and the season longer, so recovery habits must be learned.

Getting treatment for bumps and bruises and spending time in the weight room, pools and other areas of recovery are critical.

"If you look at the three guys who are really playing a ton and some of the other guys, they come from programs where they have done that," Schiano said. "At Alabama, (coach Nick Saban) talks about taking care of your body. At Boise (State), the same thing. You just go down the list; at Nebraska with Bo (Pelini).

"So those kids come here understanding that, and we just amp it up a degree. The best teacher for that is our current players. When you have guys like Ronde (Barber) and Vincent Jackson, guys who really take care of their bodies, now they look up and say, 'That's how you do it.' "

BLOUNTED ROLE:

Although the past three games suggest otherwise, LeGarrette Blount still is the backup tailback, Schiano says. Blount had only two carries for 5 yards against Oakland, one for 3 against San Diego and none against Carolina.

In fact, replacing Martin more often than not is third-down back D.J. Ware. But Schiano insists there still is a role for Blount and he will not hesitate to utilize him.

"I think D.J. has a specific role. He's our third-down back, and LeGarrette is our backup running back," Schiano said.

"I wouldn't read too much into the last (three) weeks of him not (playing much). He'll have a role, and he'll do fine. I'm confident he'll do fine."

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #1 : November 24, 2012, 02:36:46 AM »

Blount is all but out of here.

David is all over the place, and I wonder how many tackles he will end up with at season's end.

"Smurf turf" is a funny term. Haven't heard that one before.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #2 : November 24, 2012, 02:53:00 AM »

Barron hit the wall about a month ago.

I don't see David or Martin doing the same.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
« #3 : November 24, 2012, 01:06:33 PM »

Anyone that hits the so called rookie wall in todays NFL is pathetic and a complete joke.
It's just a lame excuse for a guy that couldn't be bothered to earn his salary and get in shape.
WIth next to no practice and a total ban on contact seemingly around the corner there is zero reason for a young, healthy athlete with top trainers to get "worn down"

As somebody said when the CBA was signed “The only thing the players didn’t get is someone else to play for them”

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #4 : November 24, 2012, 08:35:17 PM »

Anyone that hits the so called rookie wall in todays NFL is pathetic and a complete joke.
It's just a lame excuse for a guy that couldn't be bothered to earn his salary and get in shape.
WIth next to no practice and a total ban on contact seemingly around the corner there is zero reason for a young, healthy athlete with top trainers to get "worn down"

As somebody said when the CBA was signed “The only thing the players didn’t get is someone else to play for them”

Agree with most of that, but there could be something to the tired arm theory.  When you figure all the throws QB's make in preseason, then practice, then the real games, that could take a toll on a rookie QB.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs hope trio avoids hitting rookie wall « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools