Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should have gone for it on 4th and 6! « previous next »
Page: 1 2

traew01

Pro Bowler

#15 : November 26, 2012, 02:25:50 PM

The problem is - whether or not he makes the kick - the defense is going to be forced to stop the Falcons on offense.

I would have preferred punting in that situation and pinning them inside the 20, maybe even inside the 10. The crowd would have been loud in that end zone, and we get a stop and get the ball back in great field position. I think our chances of holding them in that situation were better than the odds of making that field goal.

But hey, its all water under the bridge now.

TheAman

Hall of Famer
#16 : November 26, 2012, 03:06:54 PM

The problem is - whether or not he makes the kick - the defense is going to be forced to stop the Falcons on offense.

I would have preferred punting in that situation and pinning them inside the 20, maybe even inside the 10. The crowd would have been loud in that end zone, and we get a stop and get the ball back in great field position. I think our chances of holding them in that situation were better than the odds of making that field goal.

That logic is a bit contradictory.  You don't think the defense can stop the Falcons offense from moving 50 yards into FG range if they make the FG, but you think they get a stop when all they need is 2 first downs to run out the clock?  If you think the defense can make the stop, then you definitely go for the FG.

traew01

Pro Bowler

#17 : November 26, 2012, 03:19:15 PM

That logic is a bit contradictory.  You don't think the defense can stop the Falcons offense from moving 50 yards into FG range if they make the FG, but you think they get a stop when all they need is 2 first downs to run out the clock?  If you think the defense can make the stop, then you definitely go for the FG.

I disagree completely - because the two situations are completely different. Atlanta would approach both situations differently. The defense is definitely at a greater advantage when an offense is trying to protect a lead, pinned back in its own territory. We have a great run defense, and Atlanta would presumably have pounded the ball a couple of times to work the clock. You are likely asking the Bucs' defense to make a single 3rd down stop deep in Falcon territory.

On the other hand, if you make the field goal (which a 56 yard FG was still only at best a 50/50 proposition - and based on how short the kick was probably less than that) - Atlanta is going to come at you with a wide open attack playing with 4 downs (since they obviously would go for it on 4th if trailing). They would have a much higher chance against this defense to move into Matt Bryant field goal range.

TheAman

Hall of Famer
#18 : November 26, 2012, 03:29:35 PM

But the Bucs had made one 3-and-out the entire game.  What makes you think they could have made a 3-and-out?  Of all the solutions, I think logically and mathematically, the punt makes the least amount of sense.  FWIW, I think the best choice was probably going for it on 4th.

PewterBlitz

Starter

#19 : November 26, 2012, 03:30:21 PM

Though I wish we had gone for it, lets be serious, alot of you would be crying how Barth is money and we should've taken the " sure points ."

traew01

Pro Bowler

#20 : November 26, 2012, 03:34:25 PM

But the Bucs had made one 3-and-out the entire game.  What makes you think they could have made a 3-and-out?  Of all the solutions, I think logically and mathematically, the punt makes the least amount of sense.  FWIW, I think the best choice was probably going for it on 4th.

Of all the options, I think the FG attempt was strategically the worst one.

We could debate between going for it and punting, but either were better options, even if Barth makes it.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should have gone for it on 4th and 6! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools