Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Its still early...but if we are looking at Defense End in the draft « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#30 : November 26, 2012, 03:51:31 PM

Don't think we need anything but depth on the DL, unless it's a new nose. No need for premium picks.

bucsquad

Pro Bowler

#31 : November 26, 2012, 03:57:01 PM

Yeah we need CB and most likely be drafting one in the 1st but it's interesting to look at BPA at other positions.

El Diablo

Starter

#32 : November 26, 2012, 04:03:46 PM

If you go DE in first round, you assume you don't resign Bennett?  If so, why? 

I would rather have Clayborn, Bowers, and resign Bennett with a first round CB, or DT.  Heck, I rather have a speed WR/Returner than a DE considering Teo is a servicable #4.

You can resign Bennett and get a DE. Depth is a good thing but neither Clayborn or Bennett have shown they can provide pressure on a regular basis. DE IMO is as much a reason why we have the worst pass d in the nfl as the CB's. How about another Simeon Rice where on 3rd and longs you know for a fact he is gonna feast on thee QB. I am high on this Werner kid and the last time I wanted a defensive player this bad it was Patrick(what choo talkin bout) Willis.

BaghdadJoe54

Starter

#33 : November 26, 2012, 04:10:58 PM

I would rather have Clayborn, Bowers, and resign Bennett with a first round CB, or DT.  Heck, I rather have a speed WR/Returner than a DE considering Teo is a servicable #4.

You can resign Bennett and get a DE. Depth is a good thing but neither Clayborn or Bennett have shown they can provide pressure on a regular basis. DE IMO is as much a reason why we have the worst pass d in the nfl as the CB's. How about another Simeon Rice where on 3rd and longs you know for a fact he is gonna feast on thee QB. I am high on this Werner kid and the last time I wanted a defensive player this bad it was Patrick(what choo talkin bout) Willis.

Understandable, but to be fair we haven't seen a large sample size of Clayborn or Bowers.  If there was a monster DE, such as Simeon, I would agree but I don't see it. 

I wouldn't be against dropping Bennett considering the amount of money he will probably command, but I can't see us going DE in round 1.

Willis to me is in a whole different class than Werner, but a good player.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#34 : November 26, 2012, 04:14:08 PM

Werner is the perfect combo of speed and power. his hands are very powerful and hes very active. UF's oline isnt alabama level but they arent slouches either. 3.5 sacks is nothing to scoff at. 13.5 sacks is impressive considering how much he was doubled and tripled all year long.

i would absolutely love to draft him but if he declares he will be a top 10 pick, wed have to trade up for him. ill also state that its no lock he declares. the kid loves FSU and isnt sure what hes going to do yet. as a fan id love to have him back next year but i also want him to succeed in the NFL. i personally think he needs to go so he doesnt get hurt and lose draft position. with 13 sacks and still 2 games to go his stock cant get much higher. the dude has roughly 24 sacks in 3 seasons with only 2 seasons as a starter. i think he ,might be the best DE coming out and will probably have the best career and thats not being a homer. when i saw him play as a freshman i knew he was going to special. he just has that IT factor. reminds me alot of justin tuck. very powerful very intelligent and very quick

McCoy93

Starter

#35 : November 26, 2012, 04:51:19 PM

I hope we don't reach for a corner just because we need it. We should have learned from Bruce Allen that reaching for a need doesn't work out too well. Example Dexter jackson. If you believe the player avaliable has the chance to be an elite player you grab even if isn't your biggest need.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#36 : November 26, 2012, 05:17:40 PM

I would rather have Clayborn, Bowers, and resign Bennett with a first round CB, or DT.

You can resign Bennett and get a DE. Depth is a good thing but neither Clayborn or Bennett have shown they can provide pressure on a regular basis. DE IMO is as much a reason why we have the worst pass d in the nfl as the CB's. How about another Simeon Rice where on 3rd and longs you know for a fact he is gonna feast on thee QB.

couple things.  clayborn had 8 sacks as a rookie, bennett will have at least that this year as a fulltime starter...so what do you mean "pressure on a regular basis"?  and are you really comparing werner to rice?  clayborn applied as much pressure in college as werner did, didnt he?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

El Diablo

Starter

#37 : November 26, 2012, 06:03:36 PM

I would rather have Clayborn, Bowers, and resign Bennett with a first round CB, or DT.

You can resign Bennett and get a DE. Depth is a good thing but neither Clayborn or Bennett have shown they can provide pressure on a regular basis. DE IMO is as much a reason why we have the worst pass d in the nfl as the CB's. How about another Simeon Rice where on 3rd and longs you know for a fact he is gonna feast on thee QB.

couple things.  clayborn had 8 sacks as a rookie, bennett will have at least that this year as a fulltime starter...so what do you mean "pressure on a regular basis"?  and are you really comparing werner to rice?  clayborn applied as much pressure in college as werner did, didnt he?

8 sacks a year is mediocre for a starter although really good for a rookie. and no clayborn was not that good in college. Werner has 13 sacks this year and Clayborn had 18-19 his entire college career(4 years). Werner has 23 sacks in 3 years.

McCoy93

Starter

#38 : November 26, 2012, 06:04:38 PM

I like Clayborn but i don't see him being that dominant pass rusher like a von miller or Aldon smith. Clayborn was a player with a low ceiling high floor type of player in other words a safer pick coming out of college. We have solid defensive ends but not that monstrous defensive end

El Diablo

Starter

#39 : November 26, 2012, 06:06:21 PM

I do think he will be a 10+ sack guy every year.  Clayborn has 7.5 sacks in 19  games by the way..

McCoy93

Starter

#40 : November 26, 2012, 06:07:58 PM

If were really trying to be like the giants like mark D said. We should always be looking for pass rushing studs. Even when the G-men had osi, tuck, and mathias kiwinuaka they still drafted Jason Pierre Paul

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#41 : November 26, 2012, 06:12:04 PM

Even when the G-men had osi, tuck, and mathias kiwinuaka they still drafted Jason Pierre Paul

Even when the Gmen had 2 DE's and a SLB, they still drafted a DE?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

McCoy93

Starter

#42 : November 26, 2012, 06:18:16 PM

Even when the G-men had osi, tuck, and mathias kiwinuaka they still drafted Jason Pierre Paul

Even when the Gmen had 2 DE's and a SLB, they still drafted a DE?

Mathias K was drafted originally as a defensive end. He is a twenner type player the giants have lined him up all over the field during his career

McCoy93

Starter

#43 : November 26, 2012, 06:20:36 PM

Forgot to mention Chris Canty a tackle who was known for his pass rush ability. Even with a set defensive line the g-men still went out and got more players for the line. Good teams think ahead like the giants injuries are unpredictable. when osi and tuck got injured last year jpp blossomed
: November 26, 2012, 06:23:59 PM Benn17

El Diablo

Starter

#44 : November 26, 2012, 06:23:39 PM

yeah and they got pierre paul right from our own house but that's the past. i have washed my hands of that
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Its still early...but if we are looking at Defense End in the draft « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools