Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: is season a success without a playoff appearance? « previous next »
Page: 1

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

: November 26, 2012, 07:14:42 PM

Was talking to a pantie fan (more like heckling) when he said the fail-cons will be the only NFC south team to have regular season success b/c they will be the only team in the division to go to the playoffs.
Fast forward past my argument that the Bucs are still in the hunt, can finish above .500, blah, blah, blah, and the argument basically came down to "if the patriots finished above .500 but missed the playoffs, it would not be considered a successful season."
I would tend to agree in any other case but the Bucs are playing a "rookie" year so to speak and so this season, IMO, would be a success if the Bucs finished above .500 but missed out on the playoffs.
When I judge this years team, I always think back to Schiano's response to a reporter before the week one game when asked is his team prepared? "Yes we are but not as prepared as we will be this time next year."

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#1 : November 26, 2012, 07:20:53 PM

A "rookie" year because it's first year with Schiano as head coach?    Gruden's "rookie" year with the Bucs, he won a Super Bowl.

Anything less than the playoffs is a failure.   I know to most on here, making the playoffs and not winning a playoff game is considered a losing season (at least that's what they said when Gruden was head coach).   But I consider making the playoffs to be a successful season regardless of what happens in the playoffs.   However, winning the division is the goal.   Playoff wins are gravy.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#2 : November 26, 2012, 07:25:40 PM

Hard to forget the Morris factor.

bucfanskiz

Starter

#3 : November 26, 2012, 07:36:14 PM

A "rookie" year because it's first year with Schiano as head coach?    Gruden's "rookie" year with the Bucs, he won a Super Bowl.

Anything less than the playoffs is a failure.   I know to most on here, making the playoffs and not winning a playoff game is considered a losing season (at least that's what they said when Gruden was head coach).   But I consider making the playoffs to be a successful season regardless of what happens in the playoffs.   However, winning the division is the goal.   Playoff wins are gravy.

Java I'm not going to bash you like other fans have about Gru, but you have to consider Dungy had us in a far better place when he left.  I personally hated Raw from the start and feel Gru got a bum deal.  That being said Gru came in gave us an offense with some key additions but our D was elite.  Schiano had the opposite with what Raw left in team that much like him was "raw". I hope we can make the playoffs but I think we have had too many injuries in key positions. I think we have a bright future but we are a year away from true success.  I'm sure I will take some lumps for that last statement, but I see a winning record playoffs or not a success.

bucfan26

Pro Bowler
#4 : November 26, 2012, 07:47:31 PM

Yes it would be a success we won a grand total of 4 games last year and endured a 10-game losing streak also. Of course we wanna make the playoffs, but this team is ascending and missing the playoffs doesn't change that.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#5 : November 26, 2012, 07:53:12 PM

Yes it would be a success we won a grand total of 4 games last year and endured a 10-game losing streak also. Of course we wanna make the playoffs, but this team is ascending and missing the playoffs doesn't change that.
I agree that missing the playoffs doesn't change the fact the Bucs have a solid foundation and are building on it. But, as a HC, do you preach to your team that regular season success is division champ, playoffs, or do you judge success just on W/L's?

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

#6 : November 26, 2012, 07:53:25 PM

Nope, not with how far we've already gotten.

If  you're not  in it to win it every season, you're in the wrong profession.

NJBUCSFAN79

Rookie

#7 : November 26, 2012, 07:53:47 PM

Why not log on for the second time in years and post something. I have been silent for too long...lol Yes, it's a failure. I would venture to say an EPIC failure. Not in the sense that Schiano, Freeman etc suck. Not at all. We have lost five games by something like a total of 23 pts. To us that is a major accomplishment. To regular fans and the media we are a 6-5 team that has had every home game blacked out this year. Hence, EPIC failure. My only hesitation about being ecstatic about next season is that we have been down this road so many times in the past 10 yrs. Horrible season, followed by playoffs, followed by horrible season etc. Something tells me this time is different though. I have a good legacy type feeling about Schiano and Freeman specifically. At the end of the day, we'll probably be the most enjoyable 8-8 team to watch come week 17...

Jack Rabbit Slim

Hall of Famer

#8 : November 26, 2012, 07:55:58 PM

At the beginning of the season I just wanted to see constant improvement throughout the season, that is what I would of considered a success at that time

Now I think a playoff appearance would be a great surprise but I wouldn't consider the season a disaster b/c we missed out, look at what we had in last yrs team vs this yr and its completely different

How many ppl went and jumped off the skyway last yr b/c the Bucs were so bad?

bucfan26

Pro Bowler
#9 : November 26, 2012, 08:02:07 PM

I agree that missing the playoffs doesn't change the fact the Bucs have a solid foundation and are building on it. But, as a HC, do you preach to your team that regular season success is division champ, playoffs, or do you judge success just on W/L's?

We're still in it to win it all make no mistake of that. If we don't make the playoffs in that sense it is a failure. But at the same time, I'm glad we have a talented and competitive team after enduring the sh*tshow that was Raheem Morris for 3 years.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#10 : November 26, 2012, 08:08:08 PM

At the beginning of the season I just wanted to see constant improvement throughout the season, that is what I would of considered a success at that time

Now I think a playoff appearance would be a great surprise but I wouldn't consider the season a disaster b/c we missed out, look at what we had in last yrs team vs this yr and its completely different

Right on. I wanted them to beat Atlanta and go for the division. My expectations have increased each week.  It may have been unrealistic but we are all fans.  If they can stay in this race it will be great experience for the team.  I hope they ride it into next season but I can't imagine many want to play the Bucs in the playoffs this year. 

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#11 : November 26, 2012, 08:16:26 PM

Aslong you do not win it all, all you can do is think about next year, hoping you will do better that time. This applies to 31 teams every year. ...Failure.
I would feel better about next year though depending on how close i came this time.

To me its about fighting for the POs, to atleast have something to play for in week 17. Just because of a few bad/goog breaks i would not call it failure to miss out closely on or loose early.
Aslong you are not 1 of the really loaded team this is what i expect of my team. Of course sooner or later the goal is to be one of those loaded teams and finally make a run, just grinding out PO berths won cut it.

If you do not atleast come close to the playoffs, you better have a real good explaination why this year was not ment to be, to still get a pass there.
If you do not how to maybe be one of those loaded teams in atleast a few years down the road, expect to answer alot of questions about your 'plan' and better watch your back.

I think most of the NFL teams are 8-8 teams, it should not take you more than 1 year to atleast get close to the PO. Rebuiding? yes, but not a pass for 3+ years of picking early.

@java, the more i look at your sig i have to think about McNabb when he still had hair.
: November 26, 2012, 08:18:32 PM QaZ

Jack Rabbit Slim

Hall of Famer

#12 : November 26, 2012, 08:16:30 PM

Right on. I wanted them to beat Atlanta and go for the division. My expectations have increased each week.  It may have been unrealistic but we are all fans.  If they can stay in this race it will be great experience for the team.  I hope they ride it into next season but I can't imagine many want to play the Bucs in the playoffs this year.

I agree, the offense has been just potent enough to get us the wins and pick up the slack for the secondary but they will hit a wall at some point, if we can sure up some of the D issues we can be the Giants of 2011, we all hope, but sometimes we set the expectations too high.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#13 : November 26, 2012, 08:22:18 PM

This season is already a success.  There is major groundwork for a GREAT team.  The DC needs to be jettisoned.  He was bad at NY and is worse here if that is possible.  Let's cut our losses.  Dude just isn't an NFL DC. 
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: is season a success without a playoff appearance? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools