Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: First time in years we have several players among the best at their positions « previous next »
Page: 1

sg1977nc

Starter
: November 26, 2012, 10:56:45 PM

Doug Martin appears to be appears to be a top 5 Rb... as a rookie...would not trade him for any other running back in the NFL.  Lavonte David is a top 3 WLB as a rookie... would not trade him for any other 4-3 LB in the NFL.  McCoy is one of the best DTs in the NFL right now...in his 3rd year...would not trade him for any other DT.  Although Nicks is hurt, he is the best interior lineman (possibly the best OL period) in the league...again relatively young...has another 8-10 years in him, would not trade him for any other OG in the league..  We might have 8-10 years of all pro play at 4 positions....and very good play at WR and QB. 

What do you guys think?  Is there any player at these guys positions you would rather have (think in terms of impact and longevity)

Wesmon

Second String

#1 : November 26, 2012, 11:00:31 PM

Gotta include Freeman, Jackson and even Penn on that list.

Might even throw in Lorig for his blocking.

sg1977nc

Starter
#2 : November 26, 2012, 11:06:56 PM

All great players.   I would take RG3 (in 2-3 years he will be the best player in the NFL and it won't even be close, he will be the Jordan of the NFL...watch), Joe Thomas, and Megatron over them though...both younger and better.  Although I think Freeman will be an "elite" qb soon, and if RG3 was not in the league I would be hard pressed to find a 24 year old QB better than him right now.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 26, 2012, 11:21:33 PM

QB- No young guy has as much talent as he does at the position. Freeman is gold for quite a few seasons.

WR- I can name a few WR's better than VJ. Megatron and Fitz come to mind right away. However, the combo of MW and VJ might be something special. The only downside is that VJ only has a few productive seasons left.

RB- Dougernaut looks like the real deal. Still, after the caddy incident, I think I'll wait until next season to go into "omgosh" mode. Also, having Blount back him up is comforting, but he will be gone next offseason.

TE- besides Clark, which is relatively old, the TE set Tampa has is nothing out of the ordinary.

OL- the most expensive line in league history might be worth it, but then again, Tampa was getting good play without two of their three probowl caliber starters. Again, I'll hold my breath until I see them play as a unit. On paper though, it looks solid. My only beef is that I would prefer a larger sized center than zutt.

Defense in general- Barron might be hitting the rookie wall, McCoy is getting that "overrated" label, and outside of David and Bennett I can't see anyone out there. Black, wright, and possibly Miller won't be back. The team is desparately needing Clayborn back, the sacks just aren't there without him. On a positive note, under Schiano's guidance the defense should be much improved by the starting of next season. A good draft of CB's and this defense should be infinately better as well. This unit will need more time.

I understand the hype and agree, this is the most star-studded cast in Bucs history. However, by NFL standards, it's only slightly better than average on offense, and slightly better than horrible on defense.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

McCoy93

Starter

#4 : November 26, 2012, 11:40:22 PM

Too early still with the rookies. Buc fans should know by now not to judge them after the 1st season

Jack Rabbit Slim

Hall of Famer

#5 : November 27, 2012, 07:56:27 AM

Too early still with the rookies. Buc fans should know by now not to judge them after the 1st season

Funny...most "fans" on this site expect instant gratification. They expect a Pro Bowler right out of college. Sometimes you win some, sometime you lose some

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#6 : November 27, 2012, 11:36:35 AM

First time ever is more like it, at least on offense. Great run defense and obvious need to upgrade pass defense, but overall best balanced talent wise team in franchise history. We've had legendary defenses in the past, but the offenses never matched up. Our QBs were usually the root of the problem but they had few weapons and pathetic OLs. This team has solved most of those problems. With a few personnel upgrades and even better coaching, the Bucs will win the division next year. I believe that.

I like the character of this team. I want to see what Greg Schiano can do with it. No swapping of players for me.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#7 : November 27, 2012, 11:45:13 AM

QB- No young guy has as much talent as he does at the position. Freeman is gold for quite a few seasons.

WR- I can name a few WR's better than VJ. Megatron and Fitz come to mind right away. However, the combo of MW and VJ might be something special. The only downside is that VJ only has a few productive seasons left.

RB- Dougernaut looks like the real deal. Still, after the caddy incident, I think I'll wait until next season to go into "omgosh" mode. Also, having Blount back him up is comforting, but he will be gone next offseason.

TE- besides Clark, which is relatively old, the TE set Tampa has is nothing out of the ordinary.

OL- the most expensive line in league history might be worth it, but then again, Tampa was getting good play without two of their three probowl caliber starters. Again, I'll hold my breath until I see them play as a unit. On paper though, it looks solid. My only beef is that I would prefer a larger sized center than zutt.

Defense in general- Barron might be hitting the rookie wall, McCoy is getting that "overrated" label, and outside of David and Bennett I can't see anyone out there. Black, wright, and possibly Miller won't be back. The team is desparately needing Clayborn back, the sacks just aren't there without him. On a positive note, under Schiano's guidance the defense should be much improved by the starting of next season. A good draft of CB's and this defense should be infinately better as well. This unit will need more time.

I understand the hype and agree, this is the most star-studded cast in Bucs history. However, by NFL standards, it's only slightly better than average on offense, and slightly better than horrible on defense.

QB - I'd argue Luck and RG3 are in the same class but Freeman is definitely one of the top 5 young QBs.
WR- Megatron yes but heck no on Larry Fitz. VJ is kiiling him this year! VJ is top 5 imo, esp when you consider his total impact to the team.
RB - Dougie Fresh is def top 5.
OL - Nicks is an easy yes, maybe Penn too.
TE - Um, no.
DT - McCoy is top 5.
LB - David is close.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
#8 : November 27, 2012, 12:17:40 PM

I can't wait to see what Lavonte David does next year. As a rookie, he's been excellent. Give him an offseason in the weight room and in the play book and watch out. Future probowler for sure. Maybe even this year.

Could David and Martin both make the probowl as rookies? How often has that happened that 1 team has multiple probowl rookies? Just curious - I know there's still games left to play.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

#9 : November 27, 2012, 12:27:01 PM

NFC Outside linebackers Lance Briggs, Clay Mathews, Aldon Smith, DeMarcus Ware might garner a little more attention than Lavontae David. Would be VERY difficult for him to get in, sans an alternate from people passing up their spots.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#10 : November 27, 2012, 12:37:54 PM

Madman, why do you believe McCoy is that good? Humor me, cause I can't see it yet.

(I believe he's going to get better, but top 5 now? No.)

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#11 : November 27, 2012, 12:51:27 PM

NFC Outside linebackers Lance Briggs, Clay Mathews, Aldon Smith, DeMarcus Ware might garner a little more attention than Lavontae David. Would be VERY difficult for him to get in, sans an alternate from people passing up their spots.

Agree. We gotta remember this isnt always about whos playing the best but whos the most popular.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#12 : November 27, 2012, 01:12:43 PM

Agree. We gotta remember this isnt always about whos playing the best but whos the most popular.

Name recognition plays a part too. I would guess that most fans around the country are not that familiar with anyone on our defensive roster.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#13 : November 27, 2012, 02:07:44 PM

All great players.   I would take RG3 (in 2-3 years he will be the best player in the NFL and it won't even be close, he will be the Jordan of the NFL...watch), Joe Thomas, and Megatron over them though...both younger and better.  Although I think Freeman will be an "elite" qb soon, and if RG3 was not in the league I would be hard pressed to find a 24 year old QB better than him right now.

There will never be a Jordan in the NFL. This isn't the NBA where 8-10 players really participate and affect the results per game. NFL is more like 25-30. RG3 is a great player,but they gave up a lot to get him and that is going to affect the depth on their team in the coming years. Also who was the last running QB to win a Superbowl? Now RG3 is very good as a passer as well, but that offense is dependent on the threat of him running in everything else they do. He is going to have a mature a lot as a passer and stay healthy (a challenge as much as he runs) to become a championship caliber QB.

Personally I think Luck is the more likely future MVP.
: November 27, 2012, 02:13:10 PM BucsBay

Madman

Hall of Famer
#14 : November 27, 2012, 02:14:58 PM

Madman, why do you believe McCoy is that good? Humor me, cause I can't see it yet.

(I believe he's going to get better, but top 5 now? No.)

Ok maybe he's not Top 5 yet but I think he'll ge there. Once Sheridan stops his silly stunts and dropping him into coverage.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: First time in years we have several players among the best at their positions « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools